Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

Will SW Ever Discontinue the 5030?

They will continue to make them until people stop buying enough of them for it to be profitable, just like any other product. I suspect that day is fast approaching.

That was my first shin guard. I just ordered a pair. Sure, they're not made in Canada, but I am certain they are not 100% crap, right?

i don't know if they're a fashion statement, i switched to 5030 shoulder pads once i started playing beer league. all i want is a little added protection for when an errant puck may hit my upper body and not a set of bulky pads i had in hs/travel. The 5030s do that perfectly and cheaply

Shopping for an affordable (cheap) back up stick and the 5030 woody seems to have a lot of good reviews. I've seen that it is now available as a composite version. Has anyone used this and a wood version that could tell me if its worth the extra $40 for the composite.

I'm also considering the 9950 in the wood or composite if anyone has feed back on those.

Thanks.

Well, in a sense, hasn't it been discontinued. Is it still made in Canada?

I don't know if these are new models but I spotted a bunch of Canada-made 5030s at my Canadian Tire. Don't know what the situation is for the likes of IW or Hockeymonkey, but those are the only Canadian Sherwoods I've seen, all the rest they carried (9950, 19K, 6087) were all Ukraine-made. Personally, I think the 5030s will still be around for a while. Besides, Reebok, CCM and (until a couple years ago) Easton make their woodies in Canada too, so that likely means they're still profitable to a point.

I've been using one as a backup recently and I really like it on D. Can lift sticks so easy. I also don't know that they'll stop soon because although not a lot of guys use wood sticks anymore, those that do pretty much only have Sherwood to turn to. There are a few others out there online but I only ever see Sherwood woodies in my LHS.

At the very least, I hope they'd keep the junior versions around for kids. Boggles my mind when I see squirts playing with high end composites. Nobody at that age is getting any extra performance out of those and the durability isn't a concern at that age level either.

I don't know if these are new models but I spotted a bunch of Canada-made 5030s at my Canadian Tire. Don't know what the situation is for the likes of IW or Hockeymonkey, but those are the only Canadian Sherwoods I've seen, all the rest they carried (9950, 19K, 6087) were all Ukraine-made. Personally, I think the 5030s will still be around for a while. Besides, Reebok, CCM and (until a couple years ago) Easton make their woodies in Canada too, so that likely means they're still profitable to a point.

All current Sher-Wood wood sticks are made in Ukraine. The ones you spotted at Canadian Tire would be leftover sticks from when they were still made in Canada.

Though the market share for wood sticks gets smaller every year, there is no plan to discontinue the 5030. It is still a very high volume stick for us. There is much less competition in the wood stick segment and we are by far the number one player in this segment. The target market for the 5030 is players of the older generation, recreational players and just the casual player who doesn’t play organised hockey. There are a lot of these types of players. We have however over the years adjusted our pattern and flex offerings in the wood sticks. You haven't seen the end of wood just yet. We have some of the majors such as Canadian Tire, Dicks Sporting Goods, Wal-Mart, Modell's, PHL/FGL as well as others who still purchase a considerable amount of wood sticks.

I think SherWood will be the master of its own demise. Last time I looked at Canadian Tire the 5030 was $32.99 and the T50 composite stick was $29.99. Now I don't see the T50s much anymore but given the choice most people will opt for a composite stick. That said, I love my 5030 with the Coffey curve about as much as I like my T50. Both are really good sticks for the money. I use them mostly for ball hockey though. I have easily over 100 games on each and I take a lot of hacks to the stick playing in front of the net.

The T-50 customer and the 5030 customer aren't the same. There are decidedly wood guys, ones that wouldn't even think of using a composite stick. I play with one of those guys. He thinks light weight sticks are pointless. I think there will be a wood stick demand as long as those of us who grew up playing wood are still playing. For the wood guys, a composite stick priced lower than the 5030 would be seen as inferior.

I'm mostly talking about the demographic of kids and those starting out looking for a low priced stick. I know a few old school wood guys that just won't switch to composite. I was one up until last year. In my circles, the wood stick holdout crowd is shrinking pretty fast.

In the stick racks at my local rink for pick up, I only see one wood stick on occasion. I see more wood sticks at the beer league that I sub on. I haven't used a wood stick regularly since 1987, myself. I did use one in a beer league game and it was just so heavy compared to my Warrior two piece (with 5030 blade, no less!).

I think, especially with fewer and fewer sources of wood sticks, the 5030 will continue to be a high volume stick for Sher Wood. Few quality alternatives exist. The 5030 also evokes a feeling of yesteryear, when our mullets looked cool, we could bend over and see our toes with no gut obscuring the view, and Al MacInnis was denting goalies cages everywhere with his infamous shot using a Sher Wood. Boutique wood sticks are not going to threaten the sales of 5030's, as they are an even different customer.

Zombie thread resurrection.

2017 boys and the woody 5030 is still in service! 4 years later and the answer is still NO.

As per the Sher-Wood 2016 catalog: "Made in Canada, LEGENDARY WOOD FEEL, original construction". It warms my heart.

I cut down and taped up an old "Made in Canada" Sher-Wood PMPX 9950 RG. It's 105 flex @ 63". Actually this stick felt awesome, but unfortunately I had to leave it in Canada and return to my imitation INSTRIKE "Green Power" P77 composites here in Germany.

I'd like to buy a small bundle of 5030 or even better 9950 P77 (Coffey), but they are nowhere to be found in these parts! I'd also like to hear about the 5030 cc (composite). Reviews?

Catalog thread: 

I thought this was going to be about the SW shoulder pads. Nonetheless, I hope they don't discontinue the shoulders or the imitations either. They're fantastic.

My son used a SW 5030 through squirts.  Personally, I think the feel a wood stick helps in the development of young players to have good, soft hands.  I know that today, as a Bantam, he can catch a burner of a pass on forehand and backhand without it bouncing off his stick and going three feet in front of him, can't say the same for some of his teammates.  Anecdotal evidence for sure, so take it for what it's worth, my opinion only.

There are two drawbacks I found with youth players using wood sticks.  One was the blade eventually gets beat up at the bottom, splinters, and turns to mush.  The second is as they grow the stick doesn't grow with them.  With composites you can put a plug in the end that keeps pace with their height.  So I would say that overall durability and time of use is the issue.  Sure, a woodie cost less than a composite, but for kids you can buy a cheap durable composite that can last a long time.  Still, I won't trade the natural performance of a woodie as a youth stick for kids to learn the game with.

15 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Now if only they would still make the pmp 7000

Sher-Wood still makes the 7000! The 2017 models will return to the original graphics as well as being made in Canada with the original construction.

On March 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM, jonesy9020 said:

I've been using one as a backup recently and I really like it on D. Can lift sticks so easy. I also don't know that they'll stop soon because although not a lot of guys use wood sticks anymore, those that do pretty much only have Sherwood to turn to. There are a few others out there online but I only ever see Sherwood woodies in my LHS.

At the very least, I hope they'd keep the junior versions around for kids. Boggles my mind when I see squirts playing with high end composites. Nobody at that age is getting any extra performance out of those and the durability isn't a concern at that age level either.

No one expects the wooden stick, in fact those who do ...