Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer OD1N Project

So the pros that get to use this product are going to have to give it up after the Olympics? I kind of understand that on the skates because God knows how much they cost to make. But I wouldn't think the protective would be that cost prohibitive.

How exactly do the customize the carbon finer in the holders? Is it like re-enforcing the inside walls of a stick for heavy players? For example do they just re-enforce the front given the ovechkin example?

You lay up more material. Just like with sticks.

The products vary based on the player preference - it wasn't as if they handed them a skate and let them run off with it; it was built from the ground up with their spec.

I'm interested to see this skate in action. The weight is intriguing. In my retail area Bauer steel has the highest rate of breakage, and at NHL/Olympic levels, broken steel now means new skates...? I'm sure they tested the resiliency of this holder and steel or they wouldn't be releasing it at this level.

It will be interesting to see how this technology trickles down to mass produced skates because this is a retailers nightmare.

It looks like there is enough material at the bottom of the boot to still mount the holder there (like a rim or eaves), so even though the holder is the structural base/outsole, it should be replaceable with no affect on the boot, no?

I love the idea of the holder, I just wonder if it has to look so Tuuk-like. I understand why they would want to maximize any visual similarity they can, but to me it looks unnatural to the new tech: limited by a legacy oriented Foucauldian design epistemology.

I would love to try it on a Graf / VH boot.

Very cool. Are all Bauer athletes in on this or just the ones who opted to participate in the project. You mentioned this is akin to a concept car for auto makers. Do you think some of this will cycle down to us consumers ever?

Andy in Peoria

It looks like there is enough material at the bottom of the boot to still mount the holder there (like a rim or eaves), so even though the holder is the structural base/outsole, it should be replaceable with no affect on the boot, no?.

Even if that were the case where the whole holder was replaceable, imagine the cost.

The products vary based on the player preference - it wasn't as if they handed them a skate and let them run off with it; it was built from the ground up with their spec.

So, am I wrong in guessing they were presented a concept then asked for their input and presented a final product?

Here's the press kit. Some good close-up pictures.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/files/file/172-bauer-od1n-press-kit/

I'm interested to see this skate in action. The weight is intriguing. In my retail area Bauer steel has the highest rate of breakage, and at NHL/Olympic levels, broken steel now means new skates...? I'm sure they tested the resiliency of this holder and steel or they wouldn't be releasing it at this level.

It will be interesting to see how this technology trickles down to mass produced skates because this is a retailers nightmare.

Bauer skates also have the highest market share in your area too. That argument (a bad one) was the same one 12 years ago with Easton sticks.

Very cool. Are all Bauer athletes in on this or just the ones who opted to participate in the project. You mentioned this is akin to a concept car for auto makers. Do you think some of this will cycle down to us consumers ever?

Andy in Peoria

Right now? No.

But it's projects like this that gets trickled down to the product at some point; like I said - they've already been doing this for years. They just decided to show everyone on an accelerated and grander scale.

Bauer skates also have the highest market share in your area too. That argument (a bad one) was the same one 12 years ago with Easton sticks.

I'm well aware of that. I'm talking purely in terms of ratios.

Now, here's the kicker. This is for the Sochi Olympics. THIS WON'T BE A RETAIL PRODUCT. I know there's been a TON of misinformation being spread out there (and I bit my tongue) about this being a retail line. It isn't; the chances are extremely high you'll never see, let alone touch this stuff. This project was created to see what is the craziest thing that can be created, and have a purpose. It's similar to concept cars in the auto industry; you make something crazy and then throughout the years you start to see some of the concepts trickle down to retail. What Bauer discovered throughout this was that they could actually take it further than a concept and actually apply it to on-ice use, validate it and show a marked improvement in performance.

Where did the $1 Million come from?

honestly, nothing here excites me too much because i knew they could do it its just the $$ restriction they threw out to make it possible. also none of this will be retail so why worry about it?

I am excited because it looks like they are finally looking at tech like 3d printing that can get you a personal fit without much of the overhead needed in the past and hopefully that pushes more personalized items for us odd shaped people.

honestly, nothing here excites me too much because i knew they could do it its just the $$ restriction they threw out to make it possible. also none of this will be retail so why worry about it?

I am excited because it looks like they are finally looking at tech like 3d printing that can get you a personal fit without much of the overhead needed in the past and hopefully that pushes more personalized items for us odd shaped people.

Kind of agree here the protective is definitely the most appealing to me too.

The press kit says these new holder are the first carbon composite holders, but weren't the original Easton RazorBladz the first holders to use carbon composite?

There was no $ restriction, that was the point.

"We put out a challenge to our R&D in St Jerome, a contest, We challenged them with the notion, What if we completely eliminated any cost restrictions, what if they were able to use any material never used in the sport of hockey...." 06:20 of Keynote video.

The press kit says these new holder are the first carbon composite holders, but weren't the original Easton RazorBladz the first holders to use carbon composite?

I think they were Kevlar based iirc