Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer OD1N Project

The Moscow one?

MOSCOW_zps33764dea.png

And to stay on the Od1n discussion.

Haven't see a single player on any team with the skates on. What gives?

I'm wondering the same thing, is anyone actually wearing them in Sochi?

The Olympics are kind of the be-all end-all for European players. I'm not surprised that they're deciding not to switch into something new for the games. I don't think it is a knock on the program or Bauer, just that guys want to be fully comfortable on what they're using for such a short tournament.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole concept was to see what was possible, what theoretically "could" be done, not necessarily what will happen or what is coming to retail any time soon. No?

The marketing hype of what? The entire project is based on future concepts and "what ifs".

The sad reality is that it is very apparent that 99% of hockey players/people don't and won't ever understand what OD1N is/was really about...

easy there......I understand, but find it interesting that there was a press conf around the Olympics.

Just watch, there will be Odin protective equipment available in 5 of the most basic body types that will be labeled as "Toews" or "Kane" just like blade patterns. Haha

Why am I not surprised that you are part of the 1%?

Pretty sure most people, at least on this forum, understand. Their point is this was hyped as having 6 Olympians using all the gear, but it looks like only Lundqvist is.

I have to imagine that there is a market for this stuff. God knows, if people are willing to spend $300 on a pair of jofa elbows, there will sure be those willing to pay top $ for custom gear, especially if the product truly is an amazing leap forward.

Interestingly, if the the olympics was intended to be the "launch" of this new commercial product line, Bauer made a disastrous miscalculation (which is why I don't think this is or was ever intended to become commercially available). The simple fact is that NHL players seem the least likely to make a drastic change (or any change) to any of their gear. Bauer surely knew this. They would also know that they couldn't force any of those players to make a change.

So then, what was/is OD1N? it's marketing for the Bauer brand pure and simple. And I would think that by that standard, the project would have to be judged an absolute success.

That's my two cents.

i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are utilizing the protective gear, unfortunately for Bauer that's not noticeable. I was skeptical from the beginning that players were going to switch to a new version of skates simply for the Olympic competition.

i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are utilizing the protective gear, unfortunately for Bauer that's not noticeable. I was skeptical from the beginning that players were going to switch to a new version of skates simply for the Olympic competition.

It would make more work for the trainers to have a holder just for that one skate only to carry around. I am sure it may happen after the Games are over. Hasn't a couple guys worn them already in regular games?

I have to imagine that there is a market for this stuff. God knows, if people are willing to spend $300 on a pair of jofa elbows, there will sure be those willing to pay top $ for custom gear, especially if the product truly is an amazing leap forward.

Interestingly, if the the olympics was intended to be the "launch" of this new commercial product line, Bauer made a disastrous miscalculation (which is why I don't think this is or was ever intended to become commercially available). The simple fact is that NHL players seem the least likely to make a drastic change (or any change) to any of their gear. Bauer surely knew this. They would also know that they couldn't force any of those players to make a change.

So then, what was/is OD1N? it's marketing for the Bauer brand pure and simple. And I would think that by that standard, the project would have to be judged an absolute success.

That's my two cents.

Someone addressed this earlier but OD1N was similar to the concept car. Sure, you won't see that product go retail but it lets the designers and engineers play what-if and that leads to innovations which can find their way into retail items down the road.

Pro-athletes who spend their entire lives training for a sport and to play it on the biggest stage not changing something up? Not surprising at all.

I thought one or two guys would be in the skates, all 4 (Giroux didn't make Olympics) wearing them would have been a stretch.

Simply they've worn traditional skate their entire life, its hard to make them switch during the most important week of their life, no matter how much skating they've gotten on OD1Ns pre-olympics.

Pro-athletes who spend their entire lives training for a sport and to play it on the biggest stage not changing something up? Not surprising at all.

I thought one or two guys would be in the skates, all 4 (Giroux didn't make Olympics) wearing them would have been a stretch.

Simply they've worn traditional skate their entire life, its hard to make them switch during the most important week of their life, no matter how much skating they've gotten on OD1Ns pre-olympics.

This. Plus, who knows, maybe a design flaw was discovered that made wearing them inadvisable. It's not as if Bauer would send out a press release announcing that.

And what store will stock 5 versions of the same top of the line of protective? That must be what you found funny.

I'm guessing retailers were saying the same thing when they got the same stick with 5 different curves...sure its unlikely but not the craziest idea out there

true. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. My point is to never rule anything out when it comes to innovation and customization. Heck, Bauer already has 3 different protective lines offering 3 different fits.

The players that were put in the skates simply did not have enough available practice time with the skates to transition them to game use for the Olympics. The tight NHL schedule in this Olympic year has cut back on regular team practice time.

A little birdie told me so.........