Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrgretzky99

BlackEdge or Step Steel for new Tuuk Edge Holders

Any news on this lately? I always get the new Supreme's. I was really looking forward to trying Bauer's new holder, but I love my Step Blacksteel. I don't understand why Bauer didn't just buy Step or work out a deal with them. Could have used some of the money they wasted buying Cascade. Maybe I'll end up throwing SB4.0's on my MX3's.

No news, and why spend the money on buying step or make less in licensing step when they can simply prevent anyone from competing with them? It's purely about increasing revenue, not about providing a better product for the consumer. As for Cascade, the company is getting a huge increase in revenue on the lax side from that deal.

I'm not sure how long they are going to prevent aftermarkets from coming out. In the US there are laws that allow it, it's just whether a company wants to fight to win a lawsuit.

If your skates are some of the most popular with all hockey players, and you know people will eventually need more runners and you're the only one to give them that.... Seems like a lawsuit I would take

Problem is I am still finding holders with loose blades after wear. I am not sure I would make a runner for a holder that is not a great product. Myself I would look at making a better holder runner combo and selling my own. But if Bauer solves the play issue then I would do as you say Souldiver and just fight the lawsuit. As Jimmy said they can do so much then you're going to need a better product.

Problem is I am still finding holders with loose blades after wear. I am not sure I would make a runner for a holder that is not a great product. Myself I would look at making a better holder runner combo and selling my own. But if Bauer solves the play issue then I would do as you say Souldiver and just fight the lawsuit. As Jimmy said they can do so much then you're going to need a better product.

My sharpener is saying the same thing in Calgary. He told me he has changed out as many 30 Tuck Edge Holders for LightSpeed holders. He was doing it on a brand new pair of APX 2 skates last week when I was in and chatting with him.

He does not like the Edge holder one bit because of the side to side movement of the blade in the holder after a couple of months of use.

I had the first real episode of the loose steel in an Edge holder a couple weekends ago during a tournament. A father came in frantic while his kid was in the game asking us to tighten his steel. It was noticeably loose, but I had to tell him nothing we could do as it was an Edge holder and there werent any nuts to tighten.

One thing I'd like to point out - its not like everyone is having this issue.

The guy in Calgary - well, I'd make a big deal about it and try to get people to change too. He's making a lot more money doing this. Not saying this is the reason but its something to consider.

OTG - How many do you see? You probably have the largest sample size out of anyone here.

We've sold about 140 vapors with the edge holder on them. We've had 0 issues. We've seen a ton of Vapors not bought from us, and again, 0 issues. We've installed the edge holders on 10 skates, we've had 0 issues.

Granted we're small & so is our sample size, but, if it was really a problem you'd think we'd have seen even a couple, right?

The only thing we see is Fusion. It bends for a lot of people.

Hopefully Step creates Edge steel soon though, Bauer randomly running out of steel is beyond annoying.

Kane and Toews were using Black runners at The All Star Game - using The lightspeed edge holder. So is Bauer finally providing coated runners?

Kane and Toews were using Black runners at The All Star Game - using The lightspeed edge holder. So is Bauer finally providing coated runners?

Kane does not use the Edge holder.

BlackEdge will coat any steel for you. They also sell non branded Edge runners, which are, I assume Bauer's, just coated with their special mix.

BlackEdge will coat any steel for you. They also sell non branded Edge runners, which are, I assume Bauer's, just coated with their special mix.

Oh, good to know - thanks!

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

has anyone used the step steel for the edge holders?  I know its only available in canada but it's now out there

not just in canada, got mine from finland

7 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

has anyone used the step steel for the edge holders?  I know its only available in canada but it's now out there

Yes. Excellent is the word I'd use. The Step Steel needs practically no honing after a sharpening on my Sparx, edges are perfect.

colins

Being a newb to the different types of steel runners, can Step Black Steel be sharpened at your LHS just like the LS runners or is their a different sharpening process and I would have to take it somewhere that knows specifically how to do it.

8 hours ago, chocks86 said:

Being a newb to the different types of steel runners, can Step Black Steel be sharpened at your LHS just like the LS runners or is their a different sharpening process and I would have to take it somewhere that knows specifically how to do it.

It can be sharpened anywhere, but after the sharpening most places typically use a stone to hone the blade to remove any burrs caused by the sharpening process.

You don't want them to use a traditional stone against Black or polished steel as it will scratch and damage the coating. Instead they should use a leather strop or some other means to hone the blade that doesn't damage the coating. The 'good' shops get this and it won't be a problem. If unsure if it's a 'good' shop, ask questions or simply tell them you don't want them to use a stone to deburr the blades.

colins

19 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

I'm using it on my X90's and absolutely loving it. Not only does it look great, but I like the 9/10 profile better than the standard 9 that the LS2's come with. I use FBV100/50 and it's holding up well so far over the 4-5 skates I've had with it. I'm thinking I'll be able to go about 8-10 skates between sharpenings, but probably closer to 8. Still about double what I was getting with the LS2.

3 hours ago, colins said:

It can be sharpened anywhere, but after the sharpening most places typically use a stone to hone the blade to remove any burrs caused by the sharpening process.

You don't want them to use a traditional stone against Black or polished steel as it will scratch and damage the coating. Instead they should use a leather strop or some other means to hone the blade that doesn't damage the coating. The 'good' shops get this and it won't be a problem. If unsure if it's a 'good' shop, ask questions or simply tell them you don't want them to use a stone to deburr the blades.

colins

Look into razor strops.  I know I posted in another thread links to the one I bought.  Do a search, it's definitely been covered.  I just keep it in my bag and bring it with me when I need to get my Step Black Steel runners sharpened.  The sharpener appreciated that, said he needs to get one for the shop.

Anyone notice the the notch on the Step Steels retention arm whereas the Bauers dont. i wonder if that was done to circumvent the patent?

3 hours ago, Goonsquad said:

Anyone notice the the notch on the Step Steels retention arm whereas the Bauers dont. i wonder if that was done to circumvent the patent?

Yep, noticed that as well.