Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrgretzky99

BlackEdge or Step Steel for new Tuuk Edge Holders

6 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

they should be bang on but factory profile is seriously way off, which is somewhat of a pain. I paid a lot for step black for the edge holders and had to dish out another $35 to get it profiled too...

How off was your factory profile?  Did you have it compared to a radius template prior to getting work done or did you just take your LHS' word for it? 

18 hours ago, mickz said:

How off was your factory profile?  Did you have it compared to a radius template prior to getting work done or did you just take your LHS' word for it? 

If you can't trust your LHS then who can you trust?!!?

2 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

Your LHS needs to pay off their profiling equipment somehow.  They're not cheap!

8 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

Depends on the shop and the person giving you the info. Step claims profile consistency and say their blades are blanked with a numerically controlled mill. I think it's fair to question the info given to you be your LHS. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Depends on the shop and the person giving you the info. Step claims profile consistency and say their blades are blanked with a numerically controlled mill. I think it's fair to question that info.

the ones you can trust is the ones that you have a good relationship with and can talk with without being talked down to. 

On 3/27/2017 at 1:53 PM, Amiroo39 said:

I'm having some issues with the STEP Black steel for the Edge holders. On one runner, the heel portion of the runner keeps losing its edge, to a point where if I try and turn, my foot slips from underneath me. I've had to get them sharpened after every skate (5 so far). Anyone else experience something similar?

All sharpening is done at the pro shop where I purchased the steel. 

Pretty sure the holder is out of alignment. Seems to be the biggest factor.

4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Pretty sure the holder is out of alignment. Seems to be the biggest factor.

oldtrainerguy to the rescue. Could you clarify what you mean by that? I've gone through several runners in the same holder since I got the skates but only an issue with these. thanks

1 hour ago, Amiroo39 said:

oldtrainerguy to the rescue. Could you clarify what you mean by that? I've gone through several runners in the same holder since I got the skates but only an issue with these. thanks

He means your holders aren't mounted true to the center.

Without having seen your skates, my theory is your current blades are slightly different widths.  You can always verify the width with a set of digital calipers. 

Hopefully your skate sharpener is using an edge checker.  I've seen some shop guys measure just one skate to make the edges square but just go autopilot on the second skate.  A thicker/thinner blade will need to be adjusted accordingly on the jig otherwise it will produce uneven edges.  One of the regulars I sharpen for has the same issue with the Step Steel on her Grafs.  The right blade is off by 1 line on the edge checker so I just have to remember to make adjustments when I put it on the jig.  Not trying to single out Step on this, I've experienced it with every brand.

9 hours ago, mickz said:

He means your holders aren't mounted true to the center.

Without having seen your skates, my theory is your current blades are slightly different widths.  You can always verify the width with a set of digital calipers. 

Hopefully your skate sharpener is using an edge checker.  I've seen some shop guys measure just one skate to make the edges square but just go autopilot on the second skate.  A thicker/thinner blade will need to be adjusted accordingly on the jig otherwise it will produce uneven edges.  One of the regulars I sharpen for has the same issue with the Step Steel on her Grafs.  The right blade is off by 1 line on the edge checker so I just have to remember to make adjustments when I put it on the jig.  Not trying to single out Step on this, I've experienced it with every brand.

I thought it meant that the holder the sharpener uses when he locks in the skate isn't centred. Thanks for clearing that up. 

OK, I'll take them in today and ask them to use an edge checker on both skates and to adjust the jig accordingly. 

This will be somewhat of a hassle to tell every sharpener to do this since I get them done at other places too. Would you recommend contacting STEP for replacements?

Thanks for all the help.  

3 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

I thought it meant that the holder the sharpener uses when he locks in the skate isn't centred. Thanks for clearing that up. 

OK, I'll take them in today and ask them to use an edge checker on both skates and to adjust the jig accordingly. 

This will be somewhat of a hassle to tell every sharpener to do this since I get them done at other places too. Would you recommend contacting STEP for replacements?

Thanks for all the help.  

But didn't you say all of your sharpenings were done at the shop you bought them from?  I'd stick to one sharpener at a particular shop once you find someone you like.  Way more consistency.

Edit: no need to contact Step about it.  it's probably still within their manufacturing tolerance.

5 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

Thanks for all the help.  

No have the holder removed to find the hole that is throwing off the alignment. And reattach using a copper in that hole.

7 hours ago, mickz said:

But didn't you say all of your sharpenings were done at the shop you bought them from?  I'd stick to one sharpener at a particular shop once you find someone you like.  Way more consistency.

Edit: no need to contact Step about it.  it's probably still within their manufacturing tolerance.

So far with the black steel for the edge holder all the sharpening done at a pro shop but going forward there's bound to be times that you have to get someone else to sharpen your skates.

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

No have the holder removed to find the hole that is throwing off the alignment. And reattach using a copper in that hole.

I've had rivets replaced by sportcheck (yes..I know). Coud one or two rivets throw off the alignment? Should I ask the shop to remove all rivets the re-align and put them all on again?

thanks

On 3/31/2017 at 2:32 AM, Amiroo39 said:

So far with the black steel for the edge holder all the sharpening done at a pro shop but going forward there's bound to be times that you have to get someone else to sharpen your skates.

I've had rivets replaced by sportcheck (yes..I know). Coud one or two rivets throw off the alignment? Should I ask the shop to remove all rivets the re-align and put them all on again?

thanks

With Edge holders and multiple sets of steel it's pretty easy to stick with one place/person. I rotate two sets so I always have a fresh set. I'll swap out the first set before they are totally gone just in case I need to go back to them mid game. Takes some commitment but beats getting a crap sharpening.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:32 AM, Amiroo39 said:

thanks

All but the rear coppers have to come out. I have, yet to have a single set of Step be out of profile more than a tad? 

Kinda confused how you had a pair that was "way off" ....curious what was way off?

Had a pair of skates come into my store today for SpeedPlates that had Step BlackSteel for LS Edge holders.  The black had a mirror finished to it, but it appeared to have some fine scratches and a couple of small nicks in them.  I asked the kid's father if someone honed them and he said no as he sharpens them at home with a ProSharp and has a leather hone.  The toe didn't seem to be as tall as LS3 or even LS2.  Don't know how it sharpens compared to BlackEdge coated LS3, but overall I like the appearance of BlackEdge over BlackSteel.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:01 PM, mojo122 said:

Had a pair of skates come into my store today for SpeedPlates that had Step BlackSteel for LS Edge holders.  The black had a mirror finished to it, but it appeared to have some fine scratches and a couple of small nicks in them.  I asked the kid's father if someone honed them and he said no as he sharpens them at home with a ProSharp and has a leather hone.  The toe didn't seem to be as tall as LS3 or even LS2.  Don't know how it sharpens compared to BlackEdge coated LS3, but overall I like the appearance of BlackEdge over BlackSteel.

in black Tuuks:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Goonsquad said:

in black Tuuks:ph34r:

38 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Never allowed with coated steel....

Are black cowlings with black Step okay?

kBxZ2fm.jpg 

On 2017-04-05 at 7:47 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

All but the rear coppers have to come out. I have, yet to have a single set of Step be out of profile more than a tad? 

Kinda confused how you had a pair that was "way off" ....curious what was way off?

On 2017-04-06 at 8:38 PM, mickz said:

LHS has a strong up sell game.  Sell new steel and then grind a bunch off.

An update on my issue: I took pictures of the steel and sent them to STEP. From  looking at the pictures they told me that  "The line seems like a machining fault or error. Sharpening can't correct this". 

The Line was visible on the runner. They sent a replacement under warranty obviously.

I took the steel to the pro shop and they said they shouldn't be hit with having to profile it and that I should really profile it. It cost's $50 dollars which I had already paid on the first set of runners. I told them to just sharpen and forget about profiling.

Back from profiling today, I'll try them a few times over the next few days. Trying a combo radius for the first time so I'll see how this goes.

IMG_1245_zpsjznn5swz.jpg