Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

huh. trying to grab sales...for what?

I'm not personally going to buy any of the skates on sale at PHL. I just picked up clearance Mako skates at Sport Chek and still have KOR Shift 2's as well. I just noticed the email and was surprised that the Tacks were already on sale for 50% off. I just added the end date to help anyone that is interested in picking up the skates at that price.

I don't think it's a misprint. I received one email on Thursday an another on Friday with the same pricing. If it was an error they should've caught it before the second email. Here's the email:

2romkbl.jpg

I don't think it's a misprint. I received one email on Thursday an another on Friday with the same pricing. If it was an error they should've caught it before the second email. Here's the email:

2romkbl.jpg

I receive these emails as well and the one I received today has the Tacks removed. I also checked the website and found that they are no longer listed at the sale price. It was either an error or they were only on sale for a couple of days..

Edit: I guess it could also be the MAP rules at work, so maybe I'll drop by the store today and see what the in-store price is.

Clear violation of MAP policy.

The big boys do this from time to time and don't really see any repercussions from it. They most likely sold 50 pairs of that skate at that price, and boom the goal is achieved. Sometimes on websites they'll allow their coupon to work for a very specific set of circumstances because they have too many of that particular SKU in-stock (for instance, they'll allow you to do 25% off the Bauer MX3 skate size 10D, but it wont work for any other skate sizes, because they haven't been selling as many size 10Ds as they'd like.

I understand it for clearing out surplus of a certain size, but what's the point of selling stock that has at least another year before a refresh at much lower margins? Maybe I just don't understand the economics of hockey resale but it doesn't seem to make sense to make a price cut like this so early in the life cycle of a skate.

Yeah, they should be trying to move all their Reebok skates that just came out last year before this year's models come out...

I went to PHL today and can confirm that the in store price is $399. Guy said something about CCM having too much inventory, (maybe bs). They didn't have my size, had little inventory left, but he said they could order more from CCM. Seems to indicate that it is CCM trying to move inventory. There was almost no Ribcor or RBZ left in the store.

Whats the durability like on these things? Also on the 6052s and 5052s? Anyone's skates falling apart yet?

I've had my 5052's since the beginning of November and have not one complaint. They have held up well under my 6ft 290lb frame. I play at least twice a week, many times 4 times a week. Average about 3-6 hours of ice time each week. Not falling apart at all.

My only complaint is the steel does not seem to hold an edge long. Or at least not long enough of me. I use a 1/2 in. cut and I like them sharp. If I could, I would have them sharpened after every couple hours of ice time. Once the steel wears down to changing (or I get a bug up my a$$) I'm switching to Tuuk holders and steel.

I'm not personally going to buy any of the skates on sale at PHL. I just picked up clearance Mako skates at Sport Chek and still have KOR Shift 2's as well. I just noticed the email and was surprised that the Tacks were already on sale for 50% off. I just added the end date to help anyone that is interested in picking up the skates at that price.

Oh I wasn't referring to you sorry. I was wondering what their strategy was for this flash sale because it doesn't happen often, especially PHL. Other accounts usually bring in the best closeouts before PHL does I think.

Whats the durability like on these things? Also on the 6052s and 5052s? Anyone's skates falling apart yet?

I have the top line model, and they've been great durability wise. I had a little toe cap separation from having the skates punched/stretched, but it's purely cosmetic... didn't affect the integrity of the skate at all. I've taken pucks, skate blades, etc. to the skate, and so far so good. No stitching issues either, like what I've heard on RBZs.

I just bought some Tacks recently. Fortunately my friend owns a hockey shop so i get to try on a fair few pairs of skates.

I have found Im usually a 6 in bauer vapor/supreme)

However..the CCM tacks.. im an easy junior 5.5EE. The length for me is perfection. The boot is easily voluminous enough for me not to fail the pencil test. Best thing is, I paid a jr price :D for top of the line Tacks..which are very stiff. Getting them baked soon. But out of the box they fit really well!

My son has been wearing his 4052 never even baked Tacks or actually Cyclone Taylors version Called the CLASSIC TACKS(upgraded with the Tacks hyper-glide steel, nylon composite outsole from the 5052 and the duratex liner) for almost a year now. My son came from a Nexus Havok skate. He was skating in his Tacks at least 4 times a week during winter season and since the end of March he has been skating at least 6 times a week not including 2 weekends with 4 ice times both on Sat and 4 more on Sunday and the skate mill once or twice a weekend for 4 weekends.

The first time he wore them I thought it was just me that thought he was skating faster but it was the first thing out of his mouth when he came off the ice. He loves the 16% forward lean built into the attack frame and the fact that they are still way more supportive/stiffer than his Nexus skates ever were. He can corner way way better, his stride is way longer and his knees are bent way way more than ever before. Now some of this can be contributed to him improving over time but the Tacks have also enabled some of it for sure. His Nexus skates became soft within 6 months to the point of having to get new skates (tacks) with a lot less ice times per week than this year.

The Hyper-glide steel has lasted way longer than expected and only need to be sharpened every 5 ice times at 1/2. I sharpen skates and these runners/blades sharpen a lot easier than other skates I sharpen and hold their edge longer. The hyper-glide runner will have to be changed soon but I will be buying new skates for him shortly.

His tongue is pretty worn where top corner of the boot at the top eyelit meet the tongue and on those same corners the liner has worn through. There are some top surface layer cut marks from other skates hitting his but they have not gotten worse nor have the cuts effected the integrity of the boot. The lower part of the boot around the ball of his foot below the eyelits has become pretty soft but the quarter is still very stiff. He has also been getting lace bite the last month or so but this is a lower model skate and the tongue never had the lace-bite protection of the 5052's and above models.

These skates have been amazing in every way for my son with his high bridge and wider his foot . I am very impressed with the skates although I do find the Tacks line more expensive than the say supreme line for what you get material wise. My son will for sure be in another set of Tacks shortly. The 6052's are next which are absolutely amazing in every way from my inspections.

I will have a demo pair of Jetspeeds for my son tomorrow but I am very doubtful they will fit him properly but you never know!!!!

So i finally got my skates baked yesterday. The bake is truely impressive.. In a way, they conform to my feet like my Alkali RPD Shift+ (and thats a proper compliment). They really wrap around your foot. The boot quarter goes from a "boxy" looking boot to one which is contoured your foot..in the end looking much more anatomical, just as it fits on the inside. Very comfortable pre bake..amazing after the bake..i didnt want to get them off!

Can anyone tell are the fit same through whole line? So if i have good fit in 6,5d 4052 will i have same fit in top of the line model? Of course top line model will be much stiffer but aside that will fit be same?