Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

They had a nice TV commercial that aired during the Heritage Classic yesterday on CBC. No link that I can find yet.

Just a quick response to everyone who says that CCM royally messed this up. I've skated in everything and have no dog in the fight besides wanting to see a bit more of a challenge to Bauer on tech at the top end of the market.

1. While the design isn't all heel-wedgey like we know and love, I don't think it's by any means ugly.
2. For every dad that gets pissed off that the new Tacks don't look like the old ones, there's a kid who doesn't give a damn.
3. Alternatively, maybe the all black (admittedly kinda badass) look catches a kid's eye over the silvery red Vapors. Dad sees them and says "Hey they brought Tacks back, those were great skates when I wore them." Just the name might stop dads from pushing their kids into a more familiar/recently reliable brand.
4. The whole point is that all the LHS hypos that everyone seems horrified by probably won't happen, at least not with the core demographic these companies care about. Would older players love an old school looking Tack? Sure. Should CCM care? Nope. The market is with kids. Kids don't want to look like their dads.

Separate point: Aside from abysmal R+D and some quality control issues (Original U+ Pro, Vector eyelets, etc.) CCM's biggest problem was that their skates fit so terribly before baking that it was hard to get anyone to commit to a purchase. When I tried on a CCM skate before the only thing I could tell about the fit was length and forefoot width. Whether the arch was ok, how the ankle pads would shape up, if I could get a good heel lock, etc. were all hidden in a blocky skate. CCM fixed this a bit with the RBZ by allowing pre-sale bakes, but still, if you put your foot today in an unbaked Supreme and an unbaked RBZ, a lot might pick the Supreme without even trying a bake on the RBZ -- never mind stores that still refuse to bake. Hopefully the Tacks come a little more formed out of the box if they actually do intend to compete with Supreme.

I think resurrecting the Tacks name with a fresh design to compete with the Supreme line is a great idea. These are the types of skates Tacks competed against before they were discontinued, and at least that connotation is still around. Anyway, time will tell.

It's just an uphill battle for CCM regardless. Most kids that come into my shop want Bauer and ONLY Bauer. Bauer is the "cool" brand right now. Granted we had a fantastic year with CCM/Reebok, but that was more with the Adults and the inexperienced/new players.

However, CCM has made significant strides in the last few years. I hope it keeps the same momentum.

On the point of people being hacked off over the lack of heel wedge- imagine those of use who thought that new fangled heel wedge was ugly back when those silly white stripes ended up back there.

Even as old and ancient as I am, there are three things that matter:

1) Fit

2) Performance

3) Durability

That's what I care about.

Sure, it would have been cool to give a nod to the past; but in a way, it's kind of refreshing to not see a retro product.

I can say that in our area, we have one hockey shop. The shop carries CCM/Reebok. They would like to carry Bauer, but Bauer doesn't think they can do enough volume. So they stocked up on lower level RBZ skates, stocking up to the RBZ 80s. Since we want to keep this shop in business, many a Bauer loyalist has changed brands. Kids that I have only even seen in Bauer skates are now donning RBZ 80s and if you ask them if they like them, every one of them tell me they prefer them to the Bauers mainly due to comfort (post baking). Maybe they are just happy to have new skates, maybe their Bauers were really squeezing their feet... But the bottom lines that given a chance, the RBZ series seems to be on par with the Vapor line. I coach these kids and I am not seeing any differences in their skating, just the natural improvement and progression of additional ice time. I for one am excited to see this new line of Tacks (Jedi) skates. This should help cover the kids who require a different fit that don't quite fit into the RBZ line. I will also say that I have never seen a skate mold after baking like the RBZ series. I hope this remains the case with this new line. We have always bought Easton skates, but this may be the year we switch. Add to it that CCM runs larger in junior sizes, and you also have a nice economic bump if you get another season out of junior sizing, OR you have a girl that can stay in junior sizes for the remainder of her playing days.

I went to the DET/COL game last night and sat in the 2nd row behind the net.

Even at that distance, the skates were way too muted - didn't have enough pop on the ice.

A predominately-black skate will do that; which is why Bauer had constantly added a bit more color (to the point this year they added bright silver) to the Supreme line.

Perhaps a heel wedge should have been thrown in - because unfortunately I think you're not going to recognize the skate on-ice.

Had a chance to see them in person today...man oh man. I was definitely impressed by them. Sizing was crazy on them, rep brought a 8.5, and it fit like a glove. I'm a 9 in my RBZ's, and a 9.5 in Bauers, but the 8.5 fit great.

How would you describe the fit?

Hard to describe, most skates fit the same on my feet (with the exception of Vapor skates), but I was really impressed with the heel/toe cap. My heel was locked into the skate better than any skate I can remember, and the toe cap felt great, no rubbing or anything like that. Which brings me back to being surprised because it was an 8.5 skate.

How's the CCM problem area? I'm talkin about where the quarter package meets the toe cap.

What does 'not on spec' mean? So the catalog JR got is wrong? Does that also imply every catalog they made has incorrect specs?

Sorry for my noobness regarding how these releases function behind the scenes.

The one way I always saw a pair of Tacks before the white heel wedge was that "T" on the ankle...

Yep, when I was a rinkrat as a kid(72-76 mostly) 1/2 my friends and team mates wore Tacks/Super Tacks, and you could easily see brand with the T...I'd rather see the T(or Tacks)in the heel area, than "Tacks" where Bauer puts their logo.

Hopefully they do well.

Had a chance to see them in person today...man oh man. I was definitely impressed by them. Sizing was crazy on them, rep brought a 8.5, and it fit like a glove. I'm a 9 in my RBZ's, and a 9.5 in Bauers, but the 8.5 fit great.

According CCM's twitter the RBZ fit 2 sizes down and Tacks fit 1.5 sizes down. Are you saying that isn't the case?

And are we still on lockdown because I found a site with all the spec listed?

I would assume that lockdown is still in effect if you haven't seen that same info here. My guess is we will see a Tacks skate catalog of some sort posting once the moratorium is lifted.