Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

derwisch75

CCM Hyperglide vs. regular Speedblade runners

Thought about purchasing the polished Hyperglide runners for my RBZ 100..

Couple of questions here :

Are they really better quality/performance-wise than the regular Speedblade steel ?

If not so, I'd opt for the regular as I'm concerned about the finish being ruined by the local sharpeners by honing them..

I admit they look cool, but I'm not too interested in the "bling factor" as in edges lasting longer, better glide etc.

In fact, I'd prefer a honed stainless steel over a noticeably scratched chrome finish.

How do they compare to the V-Steel Step runners finishwise ?

I guess it's probably the same coating resulting in maintainance problems described in the Step Steel thread (just use tip of good honing stone, use leather to deburr, one side of a magic stick etc.).

How did your polished runners stand the test of time ?

Any input appreciated.

If I had the chance to get Step steel or or my skates, that would have been my first choice.

I'm kinda suprised that the Hyperglides sell for a lower price than even regular LS2 stock steel. Plus, the price point is not significantly higher than their stainless counterpart... Makes me go "hmmm.."..

No adverse affect on performance/durability if you hone them. But it does scratch it off of course. Based on what you're saying, I think you might want to just go with the regular steel.

Actually even if Step was an option, you'd be even that much taller on your skates due to the +4mm holder. For most people, it would be a difficult adjustment.

Thanks for your opinion AIREAYE. Excellent review of the RBZ by the way, I purchased the skate mostly on that and the review JR did.

Agree on the height aspect, the quality of the swedish steel would be a nice option, though.

Besides not being detrimental to performance I guess the scratched off finish would look a lot worse than regular honing marks on stainless steel.

And from what I read here on MSH the consensus is that they do have to be honed before/after sharpening someday.

What I find strange is that the Hyperglide is the most visible of the three features that are added to the specs of the 100 apart from the better outsole and the custom footbeds - I imagine

this was a deciding factor for a lot of customers to go with the top-of-the line product. CCM and retailers are probably having a hard time explaining their customers how their beat up Hyperglides are

still functional even looking beat up badly.

Decided to jack this thread because it was closest to what I needed.

Do the Hyperglides need to be honed? I noticed on JR's review he said that he got no burrs, but when I tried sharpening a pair there was excess metal "threads" hanging on/off the blade that I could not get off with a simple terry cloth towel, but a honing stone would easily take off. Is there a way to hone/sharpen without horribly marring the finish?

Do the Hyperglides need to be honed? I noticed on JR's review he said that he got no burrs, but when I tried sharpening a pair there was excess metal "threads" hanging on/off the blade that I could not get off with a simple terry cloth towel, but a honing stone would easily take off. Is there a way to hone/sharpen without horribly marring the finish?

I'm not able to hone my black steel after sharpening either so I just lightly go over it with a slick stick. I don't put any pressure on it; just hold it by my thumb and index finger and run it across.

Your other option is to use a leather chamois. Nash sells this.

Use a piece of leather to hone the Hyper Glide steel.

On 7/1/2015 at 11:08 PM, kovalchuk71 said:

Use a piece of leather to hone the Hyper Glide steel.

Digging up an old thread here but is the NASH Leather Chamois the proper item to use? I found one online and the description says it's for skates but the picture says it's for Goalie Masks. I'm looking to find proper care for the CCM Speedblade Black runners that a replacing Hyperglides.

http://www.hockeyworld.com/NASH-Chamois

Umm, what you linked to looks like sweatbands, so no. I've seen leather chamois that are more like wash cloths, but those are just meant to clean visors or skates and are too delicate to hone steel. You need a thicker, durable piece of leather like this https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives/sharpening-supplies/replacement-hone-for-the-complete-field-sharpening-kit-pkg-of-2/

1 hour ago, cmflynn said:

Umm, what you linked to looks like sweatbands, so no. I've seen leather chamois that are more like wash cloths, but those are just meant to clean visors or skates and are too delicate to hone steel. You need a thicker, durable piece of leather like this https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives/sharpening-supplies/replacement-hone-for-the-complete-field-sharpening-kit-pkg-of-2/

Yeah, that's what I gathered from it as well. This is actually a mask wipe but they have the description wrong on their site. I emailed them about it and they told me it was wrong. I appreciate the links from you and Mojo. I'm assuming the LHS would have something like this to hone black edge properly but I wanted to have one on hand in the event that they don't. Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, Bakum said:

I'm assuming the LHS would have something like this to hone black edge properly but I wanted to have one on hand in the event that they don't. Thanks again.

I see Step Velocity and BlackEdge runners come in that are all scratched up from previous sharpenings.  While you would think most LHS' would have a leather hone, many don't.  Wise thinking to have your own.

Just now, mojo122 said:

I see Step Velocity and BlackEdge runners come in that are all scratched up from previous sharpenings.  While you would think most LHS' would have a leather hone, many don't.  Wise thinking to have your own.

Yeah, this was my thinking as well. Some people say that they may not need honing at all? Is there truth to this?

Will skating on them without any hone be unbearable?

For my hyperglides I had an Arkansas stone which when used lightly wouldn't ruin the finish. But one of my Runners was snapped in half from a shot. Hence how I ended up with these new CCM Black runners.

Depends on the sharpener. If you have a good sharpener who takes their time, you won't need to hone them. The guy who used to sharpen my skates was really good and I never needed to have them honed, unfortunately he retired, though right now it's not a big deal since I'm using regular Steps and don't have to worry about the polish.