Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2014 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

how much of a difference will there be between the current One9 and the new 180? i know the quick change holders are cool but anything else since this years models will be on sale.

Between One.9 and 180 - yes.

Between One.9 and 190 - not so much.

The 180 will have the same Curv composite quarter panel, however there is a different as far as liner, tongue and with the samples I saw - stiffness. 180 was softer than the 190, even though both have the curv composite material. Could have just been what I saw but there was a difference. If you are looking at buying the one.9, especially on clearance, go for it.

The 180 will have the same Curv composite quarter panel, however there is a different as far as liner, tongue and with the samples I saw - stiffness. 180 was softer than the 190, even though both have the curv composite material. Could have just been what I saw but there was a difference.

The 180 skate will also feature Curv (albeit not as stiff as the top versions due to different internal ankle workings) AND a flexible tendon guard (NXG spec) at the $499.99 price point. It'll have a 3-pc tongue (however 48 oz thickness with a traditional lacebite protector, and a polished LS Edge runner.

Makes sense - I don't even know where my catalog went so I was going off memory. The hard part is seeing this stuff 6 months before launch and then having to relearn everything.

I was also a little confused at what appeared to be downgraded materials for outsoles on the Supreme 170 and 180, but I have a (probably wrong) theory about why they did this. If I'm right, I like the move a lot. Given that pricing stays more or less uniform across the board, 20 bucks here and there notwithstanding, Bauer appears to have reallocated money from outsoles into quarter materials across the middle of the line skates.

150 and 160 get upgraded to a "Tech PU" (looks like it could be similar to the Surlyn on the outgoing One.7) from I think nylon on the outgoing One.5 and One.6.
170 gets Tech Mesh -- used to be on the One.8.
180 gets Curv composite -- Used to be (only) on the One.9 and NXG.

Overall I think this may show an increased focus on lateral stiffness and durability at the expense of outsole tech in the midrange skates. This seems like a very smart and consumer focused decision -- for the intermediate level players that use these types of skates most often, that added lateral stiffness should provide a lot more benefit than the "energy transfer" properties that full composite outsoles supposedly provide (I'm sure these do make a difference for elite players, but I don't think a beer league or high school player would notice much difference in a blind test). Durability concerns speak for themselves - better quarters take longer to deteriorate and you end up saving money by buying skates less often. Outsoles don't tend to deteriorate at all (and to the extent that they do, TPU outsoles seem to be less susceptible than composites).

It could also help sort out some of the weird weight "issues" in the older line. Because of the Surlyn quarters, the One.7 ended up awkwardly being the heaviest skate in the line. Moving that type of plastic material into lower end skates adds durability and weight, which seems like it might allow the line to progress from heavier low-end skates into lighter high-end skates. I don't really buy that the 30 or so gram difference means much at all, but it does make the line progress more naturally from a marketing perspective.

All in all, solid changes to the whole line IMO.

Be interesting on the 160. The One60 was Polyurethane and then Bauer went to tech Nylon for the One.6. Now it's back to PU. I'm not sure the One60 was that great of a skate, anecdotally stiff and uncomfortable but the One.6 seemed to be quite popular and my son likes it. I hope Bauer didn't mess up the 160 by going back. PU should be more substantial but hopefully not at the cost of comfort. Maybe the real "bargain" becomes the 170. But if it ends up on the stiff side, my son won't want to wear it. He picked the One.6 over the One.7. Comfort prevailed.

170 appears very similar to old One.8. So, yes, probably a bargain. However, if your son doesn't like stiff skates and the One.7 was too stiff, the 170 won't be any better.

Do you guys in the know have the exact release date of the RE-AKT 100 helmet?

Earlier you were saying summer some time, but I'm guessing there's an exact date now...

For anyone that has seen the new MX3 skate............

Does it fit a slight deeper with the new lacing system?

Inside ankles sit basically right at the eyelets on previous models where there is no padding . Trying to figure if I need customs or not.

Thanx

Will the new vapor apx2 protective line be lighter than the previous version and how will it compare to the ccm crazy light / RBZ in terms of weight?

For once im excited about the nexus line , looks like they did a great job on the sticks and skates , I don't really care about the protective gear , was never really a fan of nexus protective gear :unsure:

Does anyone else find the APX2 shin to be really stiff in the knee/shin segment area, or does it possibly need breaking in time?

Does anyone else find the APX2 shin to be really stiff in the knee/shin segment area, or does it possibly need breaking in time?

That's one reason I went with the Mako shins, I was a huge fan of how flexible the knee/shin joint was. I don't think I could go back to a solid joint now!