Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2014 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/files/file/174-2014-bauer-hockey-catalogue/

For the first time ever, skates aren't the first page in a Bauer catalogue; this year, it's pretty much everything else, and here's why:

The two major technologies that Bauer's introducing to market in 2014 are FleXorb and 37.5. FleXorb was created out of a partnership with G-Form (MSH had reviewed the G-Form shirts a couple of years ago). In the performance apparel, the FleXorb application is Poron XRD is placed in strategic places in the apparel to provide additional impact absorption; the difference between the shirts that we reviewed and the Bauer pieces is that there is a flexible fabric surrounding the Poron, which will allow it to move better. (The G-Form shirt tended to bunch up where the Poron was.)

Cocona 37.5 is a fabric in which instead of wicking moisture from the shirt and putting it on top of the fabric (which then goes somewhere, namely your equipment), it uses your body heat to evaporate it, leaving a dry shirt and dry equipment.

Helmets - New helmet in the Re-Akt 100; with surprisingly a pretty big overhaul coming from the original. The Suspend-Tech2 liner has been tweaked - it's a 4-way stretch fabric with Poron molded on it; since now it has different stretch zones/attachment points, it has greater rotational impact properties coming from Re-Akt. The main foam has also changed - their VTX foam won't fade like the Vertex did as it has a different film on top of the foam. Also, the back of the helmet features 4 Seven technology pods that is embedded in the foam for those falls in which a player falls backwards and straight on the helmet.

The adjustment system is also different - it is now called YourFit. The side pads are spring-loaded and have a bit of give to it, and are connected by a strap (the catalogue calls it Curv, but the final version is not) which pulls it in around the sides and rear. The tool-less adjustment on the 100 is actually inverted from the Re-Akt - so just imagine the lock flipped upside down. The occipital lock is different as well - very similar to what was on the 9900, and now, you can put helmet stickers on it again :)

The front of the helmet has a ventilation port on top as well as a wicking liner that pushes sweat towards the temples, aided by channels, so sweat will go away from falling in front of the helmet.

It'll be available in 21 shell/24 insert colors and fully customizable at the NY factory. Another thing to note is that the helmet combos have additional options for retailers; they can now order sets done with smaller/bigger cages (e.g., S helmet with M cage, or S with XS cage)

The Re-Akt 100 is more of a traditional fit; it's fitting a bit narrower than Re-Akt even though it is a bigger shell.

$269.99 helmet only, $309.99 combo.

The rest of the helmets are unchanged.

Facial remains unchanged for most part, however there are a few new models - bringing back the shield/cage combo in the Hybrid. Also, the Profile II is a new face mask for 2014 - for those who prefer the flat face (580) style, however, with oval bars. Will come in I2, silver, black and white and will retail for $40. 9900 and 5100 cages are gone.

Gloves - new line for Vapor; starting out at the APX2 Pro, which has always been the "pro" version of their top-end Vapor. The biggest difference you'll see in the APX2 Pro is that the foams are dual-density and backhand pad will be Poron sandwiched between comfort foam, with a AXSuede Quattro ivory-colored palm. The inside liner of the APX2 Pro glove is 37.5 (same as the performance apparel, there's a pattern here) Now, going down to the APX2 glove, you're going to get triple-layer Aerolite with a thermoform able foam backhand pad. The cuff on the APX2 is a flared cuff (those who remember Techniflex gloves...that's the inspiration) and comes with AXSuede Quattro palms, however, they are colored to match the accent color of the glove.

Supreme and Nexus lines unchanged.

Protective - two line changes, including a complete overhaul in the Vapor line. The Vapor line is primarily an Aerolite construction, in which in the caps, sternum and back spine, the padding is a combination of materials that are heat-fitted together and molded into shape, resulting in a very light pad - in the CCM CL range. On the shoulder pad, there is a thin piece of plastic to keep the cap's shape, and it's NHL-compliant.

The liner is 37.5 on all pieces, and the elbow pad is a completely new pad, with a soft elbow cap.

The Nexus line has increased EPP in the shoulder, sternum and back, as well as a 3-piece construction. The shin straps on the Nexus 1000 didn't gain much traction, so they've gone to a Supreme-style strap. Also, the entire Nexus 8000 line has the 37.5 liner and has gained some blue accents for shelf appeal.

New pant line for Vapor - with added adjustability in the APX2 pant - the pant can be dropped 1" for added length. The spine and kidneys of the pant is Aerolite, with 840 denier overlay panels in the thigh and hip. 37.5 liner, as well as suspender buttons - which have been absent from quite a few top-end pants lately.

Skates - funny that it's so low on here, but two new lines in the Supreme and Nexus. Starting with the MX3, which has a beefed up tendon guard - still hinged (actually 5º more range of motion than NXG) and the injected facing that debuted on the APX2, but with a twist (or lack thereof.) The holes actually have two small teeth in it, which lock the laces better. When you pull on the laces, it sits in the groove between the teeth, keeping them flat as well as keeping them from shifting. Also, the facing wraps better than the APX2 version.

The 3-Flex insert is also modified - it flexes much better because there is a notch between the middle of the insert and the wings which came on the NXG. HydraMax2 liner with wear patch - just like on APX2. $849.99/$599 Jr, dropping on April 17.

The 190 skate has the same tendon guard, however with traditional eyelets and a shorter version of the 3pc felt tongue that's on the APX2. It'll come stock with LS3 - very similar to the version that NHL players order. HydraMax liner, at $699.99/$499 Jr.

The 180 skate will also feature Curv (albeit not as stiff as the top versions due to different internal ankle workings) AND a flexible tendon guard (NXG spec) at the $499.99 price point. It'll have a 3-pc tongue (however 48 oz thickness with a traditional lacebite protector, and a polished LS Edge runner.

The Nexus line has been reworked at the top end - featuring a Curv-based boot in the 8000. Still accommodating a wide foot with a high instep, there's more definition in the ankle/heel/forefoot areas due to the addition of Curv. You'll still have a felt tongue however, it's the 3-pc version with a big lacebite protector. The 7000 is a traditionally-made skate, essentially same spec as the Vapor X90 in terms of material. That's the skate you'll see most Nexus market share in the NHL. The 6000 will continue the Flexposite model (FL12/Nexus 800) on down the line.

Bauer now has 5 skate models under 800g.

Sticks - Supreme and Vapor are unchanged as those change in the fall (New Supreme models in the fall) but the Nexus will now have a standard release. Gone is the all-black look with some grey and light blue, and still the same flex profile as the previous Nexus, however, a new blade - it has the Aerofoam from the APX2 in the heel, however, a new core, which is their PowerCore 4. The 7000 loses the Textreme and goes to 12k shaft and blade, in a fused construction.

PS - notice the lack of OD1N product. ;)

Special thanks for Keith, JD and CJ for having video conferences with me in October - it's been helpful for the past couple of years, and gives me quite a bit of material.

• Like 2

Fantastic, good write up as always.

I'll add a few points here as well:

Apparel:

• 37.5 tech is their big push, especially with performance undergarments as well as training apparel for the weight room
  • The unique material is woven within the fabrics and isn't supposed to wash away or deteriorate via UV radiation
  • New women's line adds a much requested compression jill long pant
  • Elite padded uppers and lowers with Flexorb targets goalies as well as perhaps men's leaguers (who don't want shoulders), great addition of the forearm slash guards imo
  • New Elite Kevlar sock changes color (I found many that were slightly discolored out-of-box, should help with shelf appeal) and adds in 37.5 as well as 10% steel

Helmets:

• I was told an tentative (as always) AUG 15th date for the ReAkt 100
  • Like JR mentioned, sizing range changes, closer to 9900 range rather than Re-Akt

Skates:

• Imagine a fat and short 'T' shape for the MX3 eyelets; interested to see if the wax on waxed laces will be stripped

Colorways:

• They've altered their color scheme for 'BLU' : it will no longer be the same Royal Blue as before, slightly darker
  • Might be an aesthetic issue for those doing team orders for apparel, jerseys, gloves etc.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this stuff this week. You guys will hear me championing their new Vapor protective line all day, it's much lighter, more streamlined and more versatile.

Great write up, thanks for posting.

I really like some of the subtle upgrades they made... The free flex on the shin guards for guys that tuck their tongue makes a ton of sense and the slash guards on the under shirt both look great.

The 37.5 tech looks pretty intriguing as well, especially if it works as advertised.

Regardless, consider me sold.. I'm going to give a few of these items a spin.

Sweet!

Things I'll be looking to purchase/look at/try on..

The Supreme 190 Skates

The Nexus 8000

& The APX2 elbow Pads...

I still need the ReAkt helmet too.

both the APX2 gloves and shoulders are Very impressive. Bauer really is trying to get my next shoulder purchase, As I had been set on the CL shoulders but Winterfest may have changed that. They feel impressively light and well protected. The gloves I was already sold on the current version, but the lastest one solidified that even further.

Gloves - new line for Vapor; starting out at the APX2 Pro, which has always been the "pro" version of their top-end Vapor. The biggest difference you'll see in the APX2 Pro is that the foams are dual-density and backhand pad will be Poron sandwiched between comfort foam, with a AXSuede Quattro ivory-colored palm. The inside liner of the APX2 Pro glove is 37.5 (same as the performance apparel, there's a pattern here) Now, going down to the APX2 glove, you're going to get triple-layer Aerolite with a thermoform able foam backhand pad. The cuff on the APX2 is a flared cuff (those who remember Techniflex gloves...that's the inspiration) and comes with AXSuede Quattro palms, however, they are colored to match the accent color of the glove.

Protective - The shin straps on the Nexus 1000 didn't gain much traction, so they've gone to a Supreme-style strap.

Gloves - haha, first thing I thought when I saw the APX2 was "Techniflex!" I am old enough to remember. Lindros made me buy a pair!

Protective - good to hear that on the shin straps. The picture hides the top strap a bit and the description below still says 3-strap system - but doing the anchorstrap ala Pro Series and Supreme is great. The strapping system on the current Nexus 1000 shins made me not buy them and switched to Supreme. I really prefer that wrap-around anchorstrap with a single elastic strap around the calf.

Gloves - haha, first thing I thought when I saw the APX2 was "Techniflex!" I am old enough to remember. Lindros made me buy a pair!

Protective - good to hear that on the shin straps. The picture hides the top strap a bit and the description below still says 3-strap system - but doing the anchorstrap ala Pro Series and Supreme is great. The strapping system on the current Nexus 1000 shins made me not buy them and switched to Supreme. I really prefer that wrap-around anchorstrap with a single elastic strap around the calf.

Yeah, the system made sense for those who would've taken straps off, but the thought was that most are just fine with the anchor strap.

As a beer leaguer, I'm excited to hear about the soft elbow cap. My projekts won't last forever :) Thanks for the write-up!!

Yes, I'm excited for any new model of elbow pad to hit the market since nothing currently on the shelves is even remotely as close to being as comfortable as my projekts!

I'm also looking forward to the new base layer and athletic wear stuff. I'm a big fan of the current line of base layer, especially the Bauer Elite compression short/jock.

Yeah, the system made sense for those who would've taken straps off, but the thought was that most are just fine with the anchor strap.

Hmm, I honestly loved the nexus strapping, especially since you could move where the straps were located to make it more comfortable.

Though I got rid of the Nexus shins, and I'm absolutely loving the Mako shins. FAR more comfortable than anything I've ever worn before.

AIREAYE I know you've been raving about the APX2 protective for a while now and Stewie you just mentioned the shoulders as well.

Could either of you, or anyone for that matter elaborate as to what you like so much about them? JR mentioned they are very light - in the CCM CL range but why do you prefer them to the CL?

I need shoulders now and am tempted to just grab the CLs on sale but if the APX2 are worth the wait then I will.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Does the updated injected lacing facing (with the teeth and the better wrapping) on the Supreme MX3 carry over to a running change on the APX2 or is that not going to happen till there is a new Vapor skate next year?

Also - Is it the backhand padding of the APX2 glove that is thermoformable? What is the process for the forming?

Edited by shooter27

AIREAYE I know you've been raving about the APX2 protective for a while now and Stewie you just mentioned the shoulders as well.

Could either of you, or anyone for that matter elaborate as to what you like so much about them? JR mentioned they are very light - in the CCM CL range but why do you prefer them to the CL?

I need shoulders now and am tempted to just grab the CLs on sale but if the APX2 are worth the wait then I will.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

The difference is that there's more protection in the rest of the areas that have the Aerolite foam than on the CL (with the perforated U+ foam.)

Hmmm, if the Vapor is overhauled I'll have to stock up on 7.0 elbows, never had anything as comfortable as my XXXX (which should be about the same).

Nice write up JR Thanx!

Question about the injected lacing system on the MX3's...

You said it wraps more? Does that mean it is actually suppose to wrap around the front of the foot?

I thought it was designed for more forward flex so it was meant not to wrap and stay off the front of the foot?

Bauer is the KING!! They never dissapoint.... Looking forward to the New Supreme skates. The graphics are growing on me more and more.

I find the APX 2 Shins Free Flex interesting. I remember Easton had used that same (different name) free flex design. on a pair of their shins about 8-10 years ago.