Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
brokensword

Sprung question

They've had the Sprung A6 (aka A6X) complete chassis available for a while and there are still 82 in stock according to the website, but the A6 rocker arms are showing as out of stock when you go to the parts page - it's been that way for quite some time. So as of now the only way to get the newer A6 (aka A6X) arms is to buy the complete chassis unless they're willing to cannibalize some of the arms off the 82 in stock to sell separate rocker arms (one would have to email someone at Sprung to ask about that).

This is just conjecture, but I think it's a funding issue. In order to get a parts order from China for a good rate they likely have to place an order that's several thousand dollars. If they don't have that money they're likely hoping to sell more of their current stock of A6, A7 and A8 chassis and attempt to get licencing or OEM deals (which aren't easy to come by) in order to raise the funds. The problem is, if you don't have spare parts in stock people like Archangel are understandably less likely to buy the existing chassis stock for A6 or A7 chassis. In an ideal world they'd have the funding to order plenty of spare parts now which would help them sell their exiting stock.

My solution to the spare rocker arm issue was to buy a couple new A6 chassis when another member had them for sale here for a good price even though I already owned an A6 chassis. Now I should have enough extra parts to last several years.

That's good to hear. Have you been cleaning and soaking the parts? If so, how often? How often do you usually skate with your Sprungs?

I know the A7 and A8 were always more durable than the old A6. The new A6 I have has held up fairly well, but I have had a couple knuckles crack after about a year and a half of heavy use (although that's at least 50% less than I likely would've had with the old A6 arms based on previous experiences). I am not a light weight though and have been skating on them A LOT between refereeing and playing. For the summer roller season reffing 12 games and playing in 1 or 2 in a week wasn't uncommon - when there were tournaments I skated in 20 plus games in a week. The new A6 arms are more durable than the old ones, but for someone who's on his skates as much as I am, I wouldn't feel comfortable without a couple spare arms in my bag.

Sounds like your sprungs get more of a work out then mine.

After each game a blow them clean with compressed air as our sport court dosnt get cleaned often enough,twice a year I pull them apart clean them throughly then let the arms sit in a bucket of water for day or two. Also for a year they were seeing about 2 games a week now I have retired them to one day on sports court as the mlx carbon toe dosnt like the smooth painted concrete , I have another pair of A7's on some ccm pro tacks for the painted concrete rink.so should see me through for a good number of years.

Two sets is ideal - that way you don't have to keep switching wheels. I have two skates with Sprungs (one set of KORs and one Makos), but primarily use the Makos and switch wheels simply because the Makos are a bit more comfortable for me (KORs pinch a bit where the toe box meets the boot...wouldn't be a problem for most people. I just have a very wide forefoot and the EE Makos with the ergonomic toe box accomidate that better). Even if you don't have spare arms, the fact that you have two sets means you won't be stuck if you do end up cracking a knuckle or breaking an arm eventually.

With the amount I skate I take apart and clean the skates and soak the parts about once a month. If you're only skating once a week indoors on them I can see getting away with longer intervals and blowing the dust off should help. More frequent cleaning would be needed for more skating and of course if you ever skate outdoors they should be cleaned very frequently since the grit found outdoors can cause more friction wear than the light indoor dust. Leaving dirt in them for too long (especially outdoor grit) can cause the front arms to really loosen due to friction where and the suspension won't feel as tight.

Once or twice a week for a year and only fully taking them apart and soaking them a couple times a year with no breaks is great. I know most of the durability issues were with the original A6 knuckles and the A7 and A8 were always more durable. The newer A6 arms have knuckles that are similar in size to the A7s. Having had knuckles crack with the old A6 arms has just conditioned me to always carry a spare arm or two with me, but the need to replace them has certainly decreased with the new A6 arms.

Sorry to bring up and old topic, specially for my first post, however I have a question and this thread seemed most relevant. I just received a pair of sprungs but had a question regarding the spacer size. Do sprungs use 8MM spacers? I couldn't find this documented anywhere and was curious if anyone had a recommendation. Sorry again if this should be directed somewhere else.

thanks,

Jono

Edited by jono

Hello. I was just wondering if this company was still around? Their website sells items, but I havent seen any activity on their facebook page for a long time. thanks.

I believe that they're just clearing out their current inventory and are focusing on a new Fizix chassis. The Fizix looks like an updated Sprung made of magnesium. It's still in the development stages though.  Search for Fizix on FB and you can see the drawings. 

They're out of stock on the website. The only thing left is a few spare parts, but it doesn't seem like anyone answers emails through the site, so they might not answer orders either.