Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hey guys, do you think the rbz shoulder pads has a decrease in mobility. Some guys in my team got the CL and i tried it and loved it. Now i dont know if i should take the CL or the RBZ for the next season. It was told to me that the floating chest guard was to much and my teammates agreed with it. They said that sometimes the chest piece comes up to your chin. So my question is if you think that the new RBZ will feel the same as the CL in mobility and weight?

Edited by Kiki

Just a quick Q for anyone that has tried them on (I know no one can say definitively) - of the 3 foam shoulder pad options (APX2, 20K, RBZ), which do you figure is a) lowest profile and b) most protective?

Was also wondering if all the foam pads don't retain water, or if that's just the CCM offering.

Edited by thorbs

I would say that they are very close in all aspects such that you could pretty much go ahead and pick one randomly. However, in terms of my own opinion on the design and fit. I've said before that I really like the APX2, followed by the RBZ and then the 20K.

I decided to upgrade upgrade my 7k to the 28k to witch skate model is comparable of the 2013 line?

Edited by HkY_GuY

3-4 times a week. For example if I play 2-3 days in a row, after playing that third day the skates feel really soft. The sizing is fine, don't need anything bigger or smaller.

Hk the 28k replaces the 16k. I already got the 28k and I am so happy I did.

thanks.. yea like them also glad I got them, for the price it a good upgrade well worth it.

Starting to see a few online stores showing some of the new KFS gloves in stock. Hoping this starts to spread out to all of them soon, I can't wait to try a pair!

I just got my rbz shoulder pads and even knowing the stats and numbers, their lightness is really surprising.

I've scoured the internet since their release date was confirmed, and I'm still a little nervous about their durability. I know the CLs help up nice for people, and I know everyone's main point is "Well if they're good enough for vast numbers of NHL'ers, they're good enough for us", but NHL players can afford to constantly replace equipment if they want.

Anyone have any first hand, long term experience with the CLs?

so I was in my local Total Hockey, looking mainly at sticks, and the RBZ shin guards caught my eye. I had previously written them off since I wasnt a huge fan of the CL shins when i tried them. I put these on in store, and instantly decided to purchase them they felt so nice. I dont do this very often, usually i think more about purchases over 100 on gear, but after one game, I can say it was a great purchase. They dont seem to breathe quite as well as the CL did, so it ran a little hotter, but the comfort was great and they are super light. I might find myself getting a second pair and selling off my projekts.

as far as the shoulders go, I didnt have time to try those on as the store was closing, but i tried on a lower line and was impressed.

I was impressed with the RBZ shins as well when I tried them on. I tried on the elbows and shoulders they felt the same as the CLs, but with a bit more coverage. The RBZ shins have neoprene type straps which I found much more comfortable and secure than the CL straps. The pad also felt very comfortable overall and fit my legs well.

I still prefer my Projekt elbows to the RBZs (and anything else I've ever tried on) and my Farrell shoulders feel more mobile and comfortable to me than the RBZ shoulders (although the RBZs are certainly lighter and would retain less water), but the RBZ shins did feel more comfortable than my Projekt shins. It wasn't enough of a jump for me to buy them right there, but the next time I'm in the market for shins they'll certainly be on my short list.

Edited by althoma1

Interesting, I actually don't think very highly of the RBZ shins. Thought the CL was better. The way they extended the velcro so it overlaps with the shell is weird.

I just got my rbz shoulder pads and even knowing the stats and numbers, their lightness is really surprising.

I've scoured the internet since their release date was confirmed, and I'm still a little nervous about their durability. I know the CLs help up nice for people, and I know everyone's main point is "Well if they're good enough for vast numbers of NHL'ers, they're good enough for us", but NHL players can afford to constantly replace equipment if they want.

Almost one year in the CL shoulders. I have played on average once per week maybe during that time (maybe 50 skates total), and they are holding up beautifully. I want to sell them though, and grab the RBZs, just for the additional coverage.

• Like 1

Interesting, I actually don't think very highly of the RBZ shins. Thought the CL was better. The way they extended the velcro so it overlaps with the shell is weird.

i guess our mileage is varying. The RBZ shins are the first pads I have worn on my shins that havent moved at all during the course of the game. to me, they had better forward flex when standing straight up at the cap point, and just overall felt a lot more comfortable, especially at the knee cap, but also the way down. Another huge improvement for me is the way they did the top of the pad. My CL shins were catching my CL pants on the top tab rather frequently, this isnt happening on my RBZs due to the shape and the nature of the way its constructed. Outside of my APX pro gloves, this might have been the most impressed I have been with a piece of equipment (non stick) based solely on initial impressions. next week i will head back up to total to check out the shoulders.

Is the strap system on the RBZ the same as the CL?

I picked up a pair of RBZ 130 shoulder pads and really like them three skates in.

The main difference I noticed with the RBZ shin guards vs the CLs is that they have Lycra straps instead of standard elastic straps. To me the Lycra straps felt like they allowed me to get a tighter, more secure and also more comfortable fit with the RBZ pads than I remember being able to achieve when I tried on the CLs last year.

In this video the CCM Protective Line Manager mentions the changes in the RBZ shin pads starting at about 1:20.

She mentions that the shell better aligns with the knee cap and that they revised the strapping system and how some of the foams fit so you get a closer fit. Based on this, the tweaks in the shell along with the strapping likely both contributed to the more secure and comfortable fit I experienced vs. the CLs.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

Unless you are doing some thing really unique with your shoulder pads, they should last you a really long time. Shoulder pads recieve less wear and tear than arguably any other gear. Look at all the NHL guys that are still playing in ancient shouldies from their junior days.

i agree. the lycra straps are definitely better. everything else in your post makes sense from my experiences as well. I just was really hesitant buying the CL shins, and when i did, I wasnt very impressed in fact, the opposite. My RBZ experience has been fully the opposite, love from first try, so much so that I will likely buy another pair in a few months after i test out their durability.