Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EtiamSurgo

Skate Fitment Help Needed

446258d2-2aa7-4c10-8852-d0da30db198f_zpsc9a1723b-f60b-48b6-a424-944bd09d763f_zps2ccd8c06-d588-458f-ba96-db88116faaa1_zps

Hey all,

I am new to hockey and nowhere near the greatest skater, and I need experienced advice. Being from East Tennessee (not a very hockey friendly part of the country) my local pro-shop at the rink is smaller than most gas stations. Their inventory consist of a couple different Easton skates, so I don't have a lot of choices. From my online research on various model fitment I think that I have it narrowed down (please correct me if I'm wrong). Bauer Supreme, Bauer Nexus, or Reebok 12k,14k,16k? When I say "new to hockey" I mean this will be my first skates ever.... I was leaning to the Reebok's because of the softer more comfortable boot (as per reviews). But, without trying them on I'm concerned about the fit with my foot shape. Any help or opinions is greatly appreciated.

looks like a wide foot to me

from what you're saying..i would try on the nexus 400 in a D width if i were you.(D width is like E in other skates)...cost wise they're great value and i believe <$$ the others.

there are some negatives about the skate, that i don't like, but it has some good features and is a comfort skate...

i would look into the CCM rbz 80 as well.

I will defiantly look at the CCM, thank you. I like the looks of the Supreme over the Nexus, but fix over looks! Do you have experience with the Reeboks (most reviews talk about a generous fit in the whole boot)?

Wow, I couldn't believe the before and after bake pictures of the RBZ! But unless I'm wrong only the 80 series and up are truly moldable? Please correct if I'm wrong. I think that the boot would be to stiff for a beginner?

Your best bet is to find a retailer who has a good return policy, order a few pairs that you think could possibly fit and return the ones that don't. Sure, people can say that you have a 'wide foot' but until you try on different fits, that's just noise.

Your best bet is to find a retailer who has a good return policy, order a few pairs that you think could possibly fit and return the ones that don't. Sure, people can say that you have a 'wide foot' but until you try on different fits, that's just noise.

I thought about multiple skates, but finances won't allow. I am counting on a return or two in order to get a good fit. I am trying to minimize it with opinions from people that have been fitted before. It would be near impossible to be fitted perfect with just a few pictures. I really appreciate all suggestions and comments.

You're on the right track as far as models go. I'd stick with a D in the nexus line to start, EE in supremes, and it's a tough call on the rbk/CCM lines but I'd probably go D on them as well. You'll likely have to make some returns. Be careful with sizing on RBZ skates as they apparently are different from the sizing of current competition and past CCM skates.

One more thing. If you're going off of sizing charts on online retailer websites comparing skate to shoe sizes, I'd probably go a half-size smaller than your recommended skate size.

The Reeboks tend to run a bit wider, similar to the Nexus line. The Supreme will run a bit narrower compared to those. Unfortunately, I'm not a foot expert, so I can't recommend which width to get based on pictures. However, I highly recommend you have a local runner-type shop or heck, even a run-of-the-mill shoe store measure your foot and width. Typically, skates will run 1-1½ size smaller than a normal shoe. For example, a Bauer 8D boot would fit a 9.5D shoe.

With you being in the beginner stages of hockey, I'd recommend a stiffer boot. The stiffer boot will give you better ankle support. A softer boot will only hamper learning when your ankles are bending in. Being a part-time instructor, I can't tell you how many times I see people wearing boots that are too soft for their skill level. I've had to deal with at least 2 broken ankles within the past 4 months.

With that said, in terms of fit and feel, the only way to feel what works best for you is to spend at least 2-3 hours trying on all the skates you can get your hands on. Don't go in with: I want Supreme Total One NXGs because they look cool and no matter how they feel, I'm buying them. Instead, try different brands and different models.

It sucks that you don't have a local shop that carries more of a selection. Half the battle of buying skates is finding which brand fits you the best out of the box!

Everyone has their own opinion about beginner skates, but I'd hesitate before going too stiff. You don't want to overspend and then get stuck in a boot that hurts and doesn't let you develop a powerful stride and strengthen your ankles. I think the skates you're looking at are in the right range and the 16k might even be too much. Ulf's recommendation on a Nexus 400 seems pretty on point to me. One.6 or 14k wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Everyone has their own opinion about beginner skates, but I'd hesitate before going too stiff. You don't want to overspend and then get stuck in a boot that hurts and doesn't let you develop a powerful stride and strengthen your ankles.

The downside to a stiff boot may be that it'll be uncomfortable, but at least your ankle won't get broken WHEN (not if) you fall!

But yeah, as you stated, going with a lower/mid-end skate is ideal. You want stiff but not Supreme NXG/Vapor APX stiff.

This is so shockingly civil it's incredible. Yeah, I basically go with a rule of not buying bottom of the line skates unless you're a mite player or so light that it doesn't matter. An average or larger player in x30s or similar is a disaster waiting to happen.

Very good point on sizing! My shoe size is 10 and I don't know the width, but I noticed that there is at least a 1/4" before my toe was touching the end. So, I planed on starting with a 8 and a 7 1/2 in CCM (good call on CCM sizing. I read that in a review). I was thinking about the med high level for stiffness. As, I may not be a seasoned skater, but I'm not small framed either (5'8" 200lbs.). I know that I can't get the lowest model, but I fear that too stiff and I'll never beak it in. I was thinking 14/16k, 400/600, one.6/one.7, I haven't decided on CCM. Order of importance to me is; fit>features>looks>brand.

I'm in no big hurry to decide, so I will try to find a shoe store with a measuring device. The more information I have, the more of an educated guess I can make when ordering. This community has been the best so far!!! I will try to hold off until the 1st week of March to make the purchase. I can justify it as a self Bday present :smile:.

I wear a EE width in every skate I've tried on with the exception of the CCM RBZ series. I'm a D width in them. I would lean heavily toward the RBZ 80 as they were such a great fitting skate right out of the box and mold really well. Just my $0.02.

I wear a EE width in every skate I've tried on with the exception of the CCM RBZ series. I'm a D width in them. I would lean heavily toward the RBZ 80 as they were such a great fitting skate right out of the box and mold really well. Just my $0.02.

I like the moldability of the RBZ 80 & 90. Do you think the boot would be to stiff for a beginner at 5'8" 200lbs?

I went to a local shoe store and was measured 9 1/2 long & between an E & F wide. I have never heard of a F shoe? The measuring devise was wooden and looked a lot like the Bauer blue stick.

You look like you have my feet, wide and flat/low arches. CCM all the way. My feet are a tweener size in between 10 and 9.5. I am in CCM U 08 (similar to RBZ 70-80) at 7.5D. I play twice a week and have had no problems excpet they wore out quick, but that is because the skates are a little below my ability/playing style I should probably be skating on 12s. I have heard that the toe box in the RBZ is a little bigger than U+ and that may benefit you (your toes look a little bigger than mine). I don't think you can go wrong with CCMs. Oh and if you go with RBZ try on 7.0 D first as they are supposed to run a size down compared to the U+ models.

I went to a local shoe store and was measured 9 1/2 long & between an E & F wide. I have never heard of a F shoe? The measuring devise was wooden and looked a lot like the Bauer blue stick.

Whilst the measuring device they use in store is a good guide line, always test how they fit when your foot is in the skate. Pull the laces out, pull the tongue right out, foot in boot and push forward till toes feathering the toe cap. Now see if you can fit a pencil between the back of your heel and the boot. If you can the skates are too long for you. Ideal gap is 1mm - 2mm.

Width is much harder to get right, you often don't find those pressure points in the boot until you actually get on the ice. Rbk / CCM run the widest, in Bauer Nexus is the widest then Supreme then Vapour (ankle area) lines. Graf have lots of of different shapes. Easton are kind of a mix between Supreme and Vapour. Personally I'd start with the narrowest fitting lines (Vapour then Easton) and then work my way from there. You can always get them punched / stretched to address hot spots but feet rolling around in a skate that is to wide to start with cannot be fixed.

You look like you have my feet, wide and flat/low arches. CCM all the way. My feet are a tweener size in between 10 and 9.5. I am in CCM U 08 (similar to RBZ 70-80) at 7.5D. I play twice a week and have had no problems excpet they wore out quick, but that is because the skates are a little below my ability/playing style I should probably be skating on 12s. I have heard that the toe box in the RBZ is a little bigger than U+ and that may benefit you (your toes look a little bigger than mine). I don't think you can go wrong with CCMs. Oh and if you go with RBZ try on 7.0 D first as they are supposed to run a size down compared to the U+ models.

Great to hear about RBZ fit with a similar foot type! I have gotten a few recommendations for CCM here and the more I look into them, the more I like them. Total Hockey (normal online order store) only shows 70, 75, & 90 in stock. I will call to see if any 80's are coming in.

I can always order somewhere else, but I have rewards bucks with them and they have always treated me very well.

Whilst the measuring device they use in store is a good guide line, always test how they fit when your foot is in the skate. Pull the laces out, pull the tongue right out, foot in boot and push forward till toes feathering the toe cap. Now see if you can fit a pencil between the back of your heel and the boot. If you can the skates are too long for you. Ideal gap is 1mm - 2mm.

Width is much harder to get right, you often don't find those pressure points in the boot until you actually get on the ice. Rbk / CCM run the widest, in Bauer Nexus is the widest then Supreme then Vapour (ankle area) lines. Graf have lots of of different shapes. Easton are kind of a mix between Supreme and Vapour. Personally I'd start with the narrowest fitting lines (Vapour then Easton) and then work my way from there. You can always get them punched / stretched to address hot spots but feet rolling around in a skate that is to wide to start with cannot be fixed.

Thank you, I will definitely check for 1 - 2mm. Does baking change this measurement? I would like to check before a bake, no returns after.

Baking doesn't really change the length, the biggest impact with a bake is the width. The boots will give you about another 1mm of length once they are broken in, this occurs as the lining of the heel gets compressed by your foot and your foot settles further back into the pocket.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I thought baking will affect the length since the materials in the ankle area soften up and allow the heel to sit further back in the padding. Pending the skate you could gain 1/8-1/4"

I ordered the RBZ 80's today in 7D. Three sizes down seems strange, but everyone says the RBZ sizing is a little strange. If it doesn't work I have free return shipping :smile:. If it's barley to short should I return for a 7 1/2, or try baking? This community has been especially helpful! deathb4dismount's post was very encouraging and nudged me from starting with a 7 1/2 to start with a 7.

If it's too short, I would return and go with the 7.5, or (depending on feel) with a 7EE. While EE skates are obviously wider, they also come with a few extra millimeters in length compared to Ds. If you feel you're a little cramped up front, and your heel doesn't seem settled in the back, I'd go to EE before going to 7.5D. If you're all the way back in the heel and still feel cramped up front, 7.5 is the way to go.

I wear 11.5 shoes and went down to an 8.5 when I tried on the RBZ line, so it's not unrealistic that 3 sizes down from your shoe size will fit. The 8.5s were juuuuuussst barely too short for me, but your experience might be different. Let us know how it goes.

Where are you ordering from BTW? Some online retailers will include a return label for free with the skate if you inquire with customer service and express your concern about sizing accuracy. Could save you a good deal of money if you end up having to try a few different sizes.

CCM RBZ definitely run a bit longer per size ( .5 from my experience), I'm a 6 in Easton and Bauer, but a 5.5 in CCM RBZ.

I wear a 7.5- 8 sneaker/shoe.

If it's too short, I would return and go with the 7.5, or (depending on feel) with a 7EE. While EE skates are obviously wider, they also come with a few extra millimeters in length compared to Ds. If you feel you're a little cramped up front, and your heel doesn't seem settled in the back, I'd go to EE before going to 7.5D. If you're all the way back in the heel and still feel cramped up front, 7.5 is the way to go.

I wear 11.5 shoes and went down to an 8.5 when I tried on the RBZ line, so it's not unrealistic that 3 sizes down from your shoe size will fit. The 8.5s were juuuuuussst barely too short for me, but your experience might be different. Let us know how it goes.

Where are you ordering from BTW? Some online retailers will include a return label for free with the skate if you inquire with customer service and express your concern about sizing accuracy. Could save you a good deal of money if you end up having to try a few different sizes.

Ordered from Ice Warehouse. It does include free return shipping. Also, if you call they have absolutely no problem giving the 20 percent discount! The only downside is from CA to TN is a week or better. I will definitely post on the fit as soon as I get them. They will ship out tomorrow.