Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
matix218

Favorite Skates of all time, top 5 (just for fun)

On 3/7/2014 at 7:47 PM, MN old and slow said:

Just 1

Pure Fly.

Best ever

One of my absolute favorites for sure.

Lot's of love in here for them.  

I registered just to post here.

This thread is depressing me.   😁  I started playing as an adult in he mid '90s  Somehow I lucked into a pair of Mega Air 90's back then.  Not knowing anything, I knew they were special.  When Bauer bought Micron, I got the Bauer version right after they came out, as a backup pair.  Well, I switched from the Mega's to the Bauers years ago, and now I'm getting a little freaked out about what I'll move to next.

And then I see this thread, and all the comments for those skates that a lot of people put them in their top 5.  Heck, why did they quit making them?  I'd get a new pair now, if they were still being made.

• Like 1

1. Bauer 8090 - had 2 pairs wish I could’ve found more. Easily the most comfortable skate I’ve had.

2. Vapor XXXX longest lasting pairs I’ve used with the second best fit 

3. One90 great boot terrible stock holder similar fit to 8090

4. Mission AGX awesome for roller hockey and decent for Ice

5. Nexus 1000, 8090-like but just not quite the same fit 

No particular order

1. Micron Mega Air 10-90 - Cool looking and comfortable skate

2. CCM 852 Tacks - think Niedermier's model 

3. CCM PRO Tacks 

4. Bauer One90 - went from pro stock CCM tacks to these felt like they weighed about half as much. First skates for me that gave me a "holy sh!t" reaction first spin on the ice.

5. VH/TRUE  - first skates that truly fit my feet

• Like 1

1. VH

2. Easton Mako

3. Reebok 8K Pump (didn’t fit, but I still think they looked fantastic)

I don’t have a #4 or 5. Have never worn anything else that didn’t hurt.

1. Bauer 8090's - Probably the most comfortable, 2nd best looking, best fitting skate i have ever worn. I have had 4 pairs, I have a pair that is brand new that i am afraid to use (I know doesn't make any sense).

2. Bauer Vapor XXX- Again, very close to the 8090's in how much i loved these skates. they are the best looking skate that i have ever seen, they are really comfortable and perform great

3. Bauer Total One- I used this model for 4 years, had 8 different pairs of these skates, loved them. Only issue was that I would break them down really fast and the ankles would bend in ( Im 6, 3", 225 Playing Juniors and University)

4. Bauer One95 - In juniors i had these total custom, they were such a unreal skate. Still look for these on Ebay to see if i could recreate some former magic lol

5. Bauer Vapor 10- The First real serious skate i ever was given, thats when i learned the difference between high performance and just a normal skate, plus my favourite players at the time all wore these skates, so i got to try an emulate them.

As a kid I was in Supremes, Tacks, Daoust 501, Bauer Airs, and a few Grafs. As an adult (call It age 16 on) I’ve been in Grafs and jetspeeds. 

My ranking: 

1: Graf G75. 

2: Graf 707

3: Bauer Air 90(?)

4: my current skates, CCM Jetspeeds

1) Bauer Pro Team 25 - first pair of skates that I learned the basics on. Pretty low level skate but it was like night and day skating on these compared to the crappy plastic hire skates at the rink. I taught myself how to do crossovers, how to skate backwards and finally how to actually stop properly!

2) Bauer Supreme Custom 4000 - At this stage I was playing hockey and training with the local under 18 team so needed better skates. I remember going to the skate store and being properly sized up and fitted. They looked great with the blue trim and lining as well as the black Tuuk Custom + holders. I remember these taking a looong time to break in and were constantly killing my feet but they were my first "high level" skate. 

3) Micron Mega Air 90 - Best looking skate of the day, the white power clips and contrasting trim along with the black Tuuk's looked so sharp. The boot required no break in time at all and was the comfiest skate I had worn at this point. A truly beautiful skate but unfortunately I got these in the late 2000's and by then although they were new old stock when I bought them, the plastic clips and trim had become brittle with age and started breaking off through just rec skating. I ended up selling them not long after but if I ever see another pair in good condition in my size, I will buy them straight up.

4) Reebok 9k Pump White - (2007 Kovalev version) I only had these for a short while and managed a couple of rink skates on them but they reminded me of my Air 90s. Very comfortable skate and looked fantastic, maybe a little too "bling" for me but they were a very well made skate and I loved the Pump feature. I moved house not long after getting these and regrettably I sold them. Still kicking myself over that one!

5) CCM 752 Kevlar Tacks - believe it or not these are my current skates lol. I always wanted a pair of these and love the yellowy green effect on the boot due to the stitching. Just the right amount of stiffness and support but with plenty of ankle mobility. They also dont seem to be that heavy considering they are a 90s skate. 

Honorable mention - Bauer Vapor Agility 2 : I picked these up on ebay a few months ago and look to be an SMU skate based on the original Vapor 10. The boot seems to have pretty much the same features as the "10" apart from the carbon effect sole on the underside of the skate. The holders are the same grey Tuuk Custom but with carbon steel blades as opposed to the stainless triangle cutout blades. Have only worn these indoors to try on but the boot is super stiff and they really put you on your toes. Im looking forward to trying these out and they are a great looking skate. 

Nice bump. For me, it's 

1. Bauer 8090 most comfortable boots ever.

2. Supreme One95 were basically the greatest thing ever invented and I don't know if anyone who wore them who would not get another pair today if they could find them.

3. Mission amp flyweights for old times sake. These and the S500s were epic back in the day.

4. 2S Pros- what can I say, these are just top notch and don't stop performing better and better.

Bauer 100- back then I think they were the second Bauer skate, couldn’t afford the 1000s.  Traditional looks.

Some basic Graf skate from the 80s, not a 700 series but to me they were awesome.  White boot with black ballistic nylon parts.

Bauer 7000- first top of the line skate I ever got, skated on it almost 20 years...

IMO:

CCM 752 - Pumps, Kevlar, awesome heel design, one of THE best looking skates ever.

Bauer Air90 - Comfy, best looking skate Bauer has ever made. (nod to Micron, I just liked the grey better)

Graf 705 - like a shoe 

Bauer 7000 - went through 3 pairs of these before I couldn’t find anymore. Best pre-carbon shell skate ever!

True Custom - no words needed here. 

*** honorable mention to Bauer Vapor 8’s. Pretty much changed the game for retail skates.  New materials, grey Tuuks, awesome design.

*** honorable mention to Bauer Comp.  Composite outsole, the COMP tag on the heel... just sexy AF. 

Edited by pucks_putts

19 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

IMO:

CCM 752 - Pumps, Kevlar, awesome heel design, one of THE best looking skates ever.

Have to agree with you there. Mine are the Custom Fit (non pump) variety but still comfy and that heel wedge system really locks your heel into the pocket of the boot moreso than any other skate ive owned. Mine were a lightly used condition pair but they still seem structurally stiff enough probably due to the kevlar reinforcement.

Only issue I had was that due to age, the outer shiny black leather layer over the rear of the boot and down the eyelets had started to dry up and flake off. I ended up just picking it all off so they look like they now have black suede trim on the outside haha

• Like 1

Had a pair of Micron Mega skates (can't remember the model number) that fit well.

My CCM 852's I put back in my skate rotation after finding some old stock holders to replace the cracked holders

Don't remember much about them but know I had Lange skates as a kid, and our league at the time I started played some outdoor games.

1. Bauer Air 90 (I wanted the Micron's so bad but they stopped making them so I got these, I just remember I loved them at the time).

2. Graf 705's - had these til they literally fell apart on me

3. Bauer Supreme 3000's - circa 95ish, back when top of the line skates were around $300 or less

4. Ribcor 78k - since that's what I'm in now and I really love them, it has been a while (and 3 or 4 pairs of other skates) since I've had a pair feel this good.

I don't have a 5 since everything else has been meh at best.

Lange Laser 3s and Lange Comps. Never really wore anything else except to try them out before reselling them immediately after a few hours in them in 2014.

4 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

Don't remember much about them but know I had Lange skates as a kid, and our league at the time I started played some outdoor games.

Tell me what year, whether they had 2 or 3 top eyelets, a soft felt tongue or a thicker protective tongue and whether the highest edge on the boot was straight with no logo near the toe of the boot or with a u-shaped dip at the top and a logo near the toe of the boot and I can probably tell you the model.

Edited by YesLanges

1. True/VH - performance, fit, protection, everything is perfect. Both custom and retail (TF9) are absolutely great.

2. Easton Mako 2 - performance, fit, but lacking protection - had to wear a shotblocker with those. Converted them to inline and love them as I don't have to block clappers 🙂

3. Bauer Vapor 1x - performance, protection, decent fit (clamping down the heel to get decent lock), stiffness is perfect (the original APX was way too stiff imho), my current set of "backup" skates. All my 1x were blacked out, due to damage on the outer-most silver layer.

4. Bauer Vapor x:60/x7.0 - performance, protection, decent fit, durable, but somewhat heavy. Still got a few pairs of new / almost-new as backup if I ever find the True/VH/1x too stiff, and my first set of x:60 were converted to inline and are still going strong

5. (Short-term) Ribcore 70k - only wore those during injury recovery, very flexible, very comfortable, allowed me to get back on the ice in relative comfort when everything else was too stiff.

21 hours ago, YesLanges said:

Lange Laser 3s and Lange Comps. Never really wore anything else except to try them out before reselling them immediately after a few hours in them in 2014.

Tell me what year, whether they had 2 or 3 top eyelets, a soft felt tongue or a thicker protective tongue and whether the highest edge on the boot was straight with no logo near the toe of the boot or with a u-shaped dip at the top and a logo near the toe of the boot and I can probably tell you the model.

Here's a picture - I'm guessing from the later 70's.

UqOqrXA.jpg

• Like 1