Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
matix218

Favorite Skates of all time, top 5 (just for fun)

14 minutes ago, greyraven8 said:

Here's a picture - I'm guessing from the later 70's.

UqOqrXA.jpg

Looks like 2 upper eyelets, so probably Comps, the original model.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, PBH said:

Graf Supra 707 skates were my jam for a majority of my life. 

graf-supra-707-senior-hockey-skates-5_1_

Second would be Bauer Nexus 1000. 

89abae9f74815f6c_thumb.jpeg

This (Nexus 1000) has also been my #1! Air 90s would be my second favorite.

Edited by jjstringer

12 hours ago, .am said:

Kor Shift 1

Kor Shift 2

Verbero Vertex Pro

Nike Flexlite 12

Mission Amp Flyweight

Have you tried any of the more recent iterations of the Scott Van Horne boot: Mako (kind of counts), VH, or True? Curious what you might think of those compared to the Kors.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Have you tried any of the more recent iterations of the Scott Van Horne boot: Mako (kind of counts), VH, or True? Curious what you might think of those compared to the Kors.

I have not. I still have 2 pairs of Shift 2s and 4 pairs of Verberos. Seems like Verberos don't get alot of love, but it's very stiff and very moldable. There are a few guys here that have gone from Kor to Makos to VH/True. Maybe they can chime in or PM you.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 8:35 AM, flip12 said:

On 3/24/2021 at 5:36 PM, .am said:

I have not. I still have 2 pairs of Shift 2s and 4 pairs of Verberos. Seems like Verberos don't get alot of love, but it's very stiff and very moldable. There are a few guys here that have gone from Kor to Makos to VH/True. Maybe they can chime in or PM you.

I went from KOR Shift 1 to Shift 2 to OG Mako to Mako II. My short answer is the Mako is similar and a small improvement in comfort for me, but not a giant improvement since the Shift 1's were already great. 

In regards to the KOR skates, the Shift 2 was a good skate, but I preferred the Shift 1. At first the Shift 2's worked well, but after a while I started getting a blister between my baby and second largest toe and had to wear a sleeve - there was a ridge where the to cap and boot met that was just a little too narrow. Even though the Shift 1's were supposed to be slightly narrower, I never had that issue in those skates and I also preferred the lower cut of the Shift 1's.

I also enjoyed the comfort of the built in, heat moldable footbeds, the snug feeling of the toe glove and the smaller tendon guards on the Shift 1. The tendon guards did tend to get floppy on the Shift 1 though and I did not use them to take off the skates (I undid two eyelets completely and really loosened the boots before taking them off). All my KORs had the Mission Pitch holders which had great steel that held an edge nicely (I believe I went with the neutral setting with the Shift 1 and +1 with the Shift 2 because I felt the boot pitch was more neutral on the Shift 2). 

The OG Makos were just as thermoformable as the KORs and were lower cut like the Shift 1's. The toe box is amazing - it's lower profile and is quite wide (at least on the EE). I have no pinching or discomfort in the toe area with the Makos. The OG Makos were less durable than the KORs though - they got softer sooner and the padding near the top of the boot flattened out. I also enjoyed the flexible tendon guards that could be replaced. The CXN holder has great steel that's similar in quality to the Mission Pitch steel and, to me, the stock pitch feels similar to the Pitch holder on the +1 setting. 

The Mako II's fit and feel the same as the originals, but they're more durable, are stiffer and have more pleasing aesthetics (at least to my eyes). So my revised ranking, (I originally posted here in 2019, if you go back in the thread and had both Makos ahead of the KORs due to the toe box) after giving it more thought, would be:

1. Mako II - great ergonomic, low profile toe box, great looks, flexible tendon guard and good durability. 

2. KOR Shift 1 - felt and performed great. The tendon guard went soft, but it wasn't a huge deal. The toe box wasn't ergonomic or low profile, but didn't cause any pain. This is a VERY close second.

3.Mako M7 - fit and feel like the Mako II and only slightly heavier with a thicker tongue. I have a pair of these converted to roller and they're an amazing value. They've held up way better than the OG Makos (I had multiple pairs of OG Makos for both ice and roller). 

4. OG Mako - fit and felt great, but had durability issues - padding compressing, going soft and even the seam splitting between the lower unibase and the upper thermoplastic on one pair. 

5. KOR Shift 2 - thermoformable one piece boot, but higher cut and there was an issue for me where the toe box met the boot.

I'll be trying out a converted pair of TF9 boots with the Marsblade R1 chassis in the next few weeks; so, I'll be able to give my thoughts on those boots as well after I have them baked and have used them. From trying on the TF9 ice boots, they feel low cut like the Shift 1's and Mako, but the toe cap isn't ergonomic and is taller than the one on the Mako. I didn't feel any seem where the toe box meets the boot though. I still think the Mako II's will hold on to the top spot, but I expect the TF9s will crack the top 5 and will be ahead of the Shift 2 and hopefully the OG Mako (as long as they hold up). 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

Back in 1991 my Bauer Supreme 2000's were the zenith of skates for me. I wore them from my two seasons Midgets (when this pic was taken), through two seasons of Juniors, and into Beer League. That gel in the ankle, along with the soft leather liner (I think it was soft leather) was amazing!

Edited by beedee

1) Bauer Supreme 8090 - I wish I had stockpiled these when there were still pairs available online. +1 to everyone who has put these as their all-time favorites

2) Bauer Supreme 5000 (the 2000 version) - the year that Bauer returned to the white Tuuk holders and introduced the 7000 as the top of the line. I just remember these being the perfect combination of stiffness and comfort at the time.

3) Bauer Vapor 10 - I remember getting these on the day they came into my LHS. Chock-full of gimmicks (the perforated steel, etc.), but I still loved them.

4) Graf 703 - Fit like nothing else. Also, I had them in the days when they came with the Tuuks and yellow laces and they remain some of my favorite looking skates other than the Mega Air 90s (weird taste, I guess?)

5) Graf 705 - These were tanks.  I haven't worn Grafs for many years, but still miss the tongues.