Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrData

EK15 durability? Feedback needed from EK15 owners!

So Sher-Wood's testing suggests that the EK15 is very durable, especially because of its VRF.2 blade core. However, I've read several reviews (including LTRs on this site) that talk about chips and gouges forming in the hosel and blade of the stick. Furthermore, I've seen this happen in person, as my friend's EK15 (he's had it for around 4 months now, playing once a week in beer league) has two big gouges/chips in the carbon weave: one on the blade, and one on the hosel. I'd like to get people's feedback to figure out if this is a real problem, or if it's just a few people that got unlucky with a bad batch or something.

So if you own an EK15, please tell us about the current state of the stick (if it isn't broken) or how fast/where it broke (if it's broken). Feedback from retailers is also appreciated.

I have 2 EK15's. Have had them for around 3 months. I play once or twice a week (beer league and drop-in's) with them and have not had any gouges etc... Been good for me so far.

Thanks for your feedback, guys. If anyone else has any feedback, negative or positive, please contribute. For things like durability, feedback from many different people is necessary, as opposed to shooting or puck feel, which you can gauge from a few good reviews.

I've been using mine 3-4 times a week for the last 2 months. I have no chipping on the blade and only a few spots on the shaft from blocking shots or getting slashed. The durability for me has been great so far.

My son's EK15 has chipped in the blade right on the toe. Looks more like someone stepped on the blade during a game then the stick it self. It has performed awesome and has already outlasted his ribcore which snapped in two.

My kid's EK15 is in good shape. He plays 5 times a week and has had the stick two months. No major damage and very few nicks. He previously used the Widow and Base Savoy Special and they seemed to wear quicker. He's very happy with the stick.

I use a jr ek15 in beer league. Played three games with it so far. So far its held up pretty well.

I am sad. My ek 15 broke on a faceoff. It broke at the thinnest point right above where the shaft connects to the blade. For a junior stick its held up very well.

I played 2 games a week starting in june. Just finished playing in a tournament this weekend.

One thing i noticed. I liked double taping the blade because it added a tad more weight. Made it easier to control. Other than it cracking on the shaft it had little cosmetic damage. Its been phenomenal for passing and wristers. Im not sure if the flex free zone is truly flex free. I cut it to the end if the flex free zone and it felt a tad stiffer.

I was going to try an intermediate stick but total hockey was out.

So i bought another junior ek15. :D

Hopefully it lasts just as long or longer.

I'm going on 6 months with mine and play between 3 & 5 times a week. So far..... one mark/ gash on the hosel area just above the blade from a skate. The thing is a tank. No degradation to speak of. Blade is still stiffer than any other stick I have owned for more than 4 months with the exception of maybe the RS2, which got soft around the 5 month mark.

WTF? how does one play with a junior stick in adult beer league?

And if there is a kids beer league that's just messed.

It comes down to personal preference of stick length and flex. Im 5'4" and i like my sticks cut short. An int cut down to where i like it is too stiff. A junior cut down gives me the flex i want at the height i like.

And yeah. I get razzed by my teammates for having the shortest sticks. Lol. It works for me.

And lightness. I like a light stick. I started using jr sticks for street hockey. I remember picking up an aluminum jr easton back in the early 90s and going wow. Used to use sr sticks but shots and stickhandling improved dramatically once i switched to jrs. The jr ek15 is listed at 308 grams.

Its actually too light. I double tape it just to give a bit more weight and that seems to suit me.

if an int stick cut down is too stiff maybe its time to hit the gym

Personal preference. Phil Kessel uses an intermediate-flex stick. Does he need to hit the gym?

Personal preference. Phil Kessel uses an intermediate-flex stick. Does he need to hit the gym?

He could stand to lay off the cookies. But, I agree w your point.