Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

team50

Rich Peverley

From what I read, he had been previously diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation, which causes the top portion of the heart to "quiver" rather than beat. The danger being that any quirky electrical impulse in the heart can cause out of control rhythms. Secondarily it creates stagnant blood in the Atria, which is then prone to clotting and causing problems elsewhere in the body (heart attack, stroke, DVT).

Reports were that he needed defibrillation, which means his heart was in one specific treatable rhythm (Ventricular Fibrillation). This is assuming all the news reports are using the terminology correctly.

He was a solid guy here in Milwaukee, hopefully he's back up and 100% soon.

Brings back memories of Jiri Fischer. Hoping the best for Rich Peverley and his family.

Because of Jiri Fischer things went a lot smoother this time. Doctors were on the scene instantly, and the defib was there right away. Excellent work done by the NHL to recognize the danger of these random accidents and promptly fixing them after what happened to Fischer. And of course excellent work was done by all the doctors/medics/trainers in Dallas to get him revived and to the hospital safely. He seems to be in stable condition now, so all we can do is hope he has a speedy recovery and is back at 100% in no time.

Now, is this a chronic condition or something that can be treated so the guy can continue his career in the NHL? What Buzz described sounds scary...

Just a scary thing to see, I got nervous when Ruff came back to the bench shaking his head. Watching the game live on TV I had no clue what to think when watching the play in the far end and all you hear is yelling and sticks being slammed on the boards and stuff thrown at the refs to stop the play. It was disturbing to see some comments on social media about "how is this different when any other player gets hurt, get the game going..." and "I guess this is Bruins karma".

It is a chronic condition. It is difficult to say whether he will be cleared to play again or not. Only his doctors can answer that one.

I am not a physician, but I work in cardiac electrophysiology (study of hearts electrical conduction). It appears to me that he had a pathway, possibly Wolf-Parkinson White Syndrome. This is an extra connection of tissue between the upper chambers, atria and the bottom, ventricles. In the presence of atrial fibrillation this can produce a lethal arrhythmia (ventricular fibrillation). This is very treatable with catheter ablation. They go in and map the pathway and then apply RF ( radio frequency) which burns the pathway. Once done the condition is gone and most likely his atrial fibrillation as well, one causes the other in most cases. Again, this is speculation on my part, but after speaking about what is known about his condition and what happened to him with Cardiologists at my work, this seems most likely. Good news is if this is his diagnosis he'll be able to return completely normal after treatment.

Thanks, PF97, for the explanation, although I understood zero of what you had said. Again, if this is what his diagnosis is, at least it is treatable and he'll be back playing hockey.

Layman's terms; the electrical system of his heart doesn't work quite right and it can cause a flutter which prevents a strong pump of the heart. The procedure tries to turn off part of that system to allow for a more regular heartbeat.

Just in: Rich is out for the rest of the season. I hope, whatever procedure they are planning for him will get him back on the ice. At the very least, I wish him a quality and healthy future.

Tough. Off the top of my head I think Mario Lemieux had the same thing and that was one of the reasons why he retired. If so his future looks pretty dim.