Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chapel

Loop locking your skates

Have you tried the Elite Oval?

They are wider than the other Elites laces.

Good waxed laced like what I prefer are nearly impossible to find. Everything has gotten narrower than I like.

No, but your LHS may have some.

I'm positive you can find something that will work at Home Depot.

8-32 tee nuts from Home Depot would probably fit through the eyelet and they're really flat once you snip off the nibs.

Have you tried the Elite Oval?

They are wider than the other Elites laces.

Elite oval are fantastic at first, but they start to roll and twist pretty quickly. Still, the thickness of them and the level of wax on them makes them hold quite well.

Lace locks on my Makos would be awesome. That was one thing I really missed about my RBK skates. I think I'm going to try it.

It does and it doesn't help. I've had to use the loop lock once and it was because I wasn't getting good enough heel lock in my Grafs. The downside was that it sacrificed forward flex and put a lot of stress on the eyelets.

It should be considered a temporary fix to an improper fit.

When done properly it actually increases forward flex. Similar to the Flex 55. We tried this in one of the studies done for something else.

On March 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM, chippa13 said:

Good waxed laced like what I prefer are nearly impossible to find. Everything has gotten narrower than I like.

Have you tried elite oval?   They seems to be fatter and hold up longer from my experience.  Worth a try for those who haven't tried them yet.  

9 hours ago, Hermans said:

Have you tried elite oval?   They seems to be fatter and hold up longer from my experience.  Worth a try for those who haven't tried them yet.  

Don't think they make those any more, that's what I normal but when I tired to order more got told elite is now blue ice they still make the oval laces but not waxed.

Not difficult.  I have lace locks on my One.8's, following the same mounting through the eyelet as the picture of the Easton skate posted earlier on this thread.  Using screws and T-nuts, the hardest part was ensuring the screw was long enough - pressing down hard on the screw while turning provided enough length to start threading into the T-nut.

I used a skate lock with my previous inline skates. Not difficult to install, I used normal nut and countersunk bolt, with the bolt installed from inside-out. Placed the nut on, screwed it down, then cut any remaining thread off and then filed it down.

Worked 4-5 years ago, and still going strong.

On 3/29/2016 at 4:59 AM, the iceman said:

Just curious, is this something (eg. putting lace locks on a Bauer skate) that is difficult to do?

the lace locks can be installed on any skate that has an eyelet. You use a nut/bolt in the normal skate eyelet, and then the skatelock becomes the eyelet for the lace to go through.

14 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

the lace locks can be installed on any skate that has an eyelet. You use a nut/bolt in the normal skate eyelet, and then the skatelock becomes the eyelet for the lace to go through.

Thanks.

I've done a style of lace lock where you go outside to inside with the laces in eyelets 4-6 and that seems to work just fine. And yes I too use a heavy wax lace. AR  makes an extra wax lace. They are a bit messy but work great.

55 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

I've done a style of lace lock where you go outside to inside with the laces in eyelets 4-6 and that seems to work just fine. And yes I too use a heavy wax lace. AR  makes an extra wax lace. They are a bit messy but work great.

Source

For Sports has a video about this on YouTube on "how to get better heel lock". I'm trying it now because my right skate is hard to get tight. My ankle is bony as hell. 

3 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

Source

For Sports has a video about this on YouTube on "how to get better heel lock". I'm trying it now because my right skate is hard to get tight. My ankle is bony as hell. 

I assume you're referring to this video. I've been doing something similar for several years, but I go out-to-in for the top 4 eyelets. It works quite well for me, though at the time I started doing it to reduce lace bite.

22 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

I assume you're referring to this video. I've been doing something similar for several years, but I go out-to-in for the top 4 eyelets. It works quite well for me, though at the time I started doing it to reduce lace bite.

Yeah that's the one. I'm just doing it on that 4th eyelet though. Honestly I think that is all that is required for this technique,  maybe the third too, as you're just doing it in the bend of the skate. Whatever works for you though haha not going to judge

On 3/24/2014 at 4:53 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

As Joe said, easier to Dremel it flush, or just find something a bit better fitting, but it indeed works.

tude3e8y.jpg

I've been using these for years to help with depth issues. Personally I find it works better if you install the male end in the inside of the skate and the female on the outside. That way there's less bulk as the male side is thinner and rounded off and as time goes by and they start to corrode they are way easier to take off or change as you can use a big wide flat screwdriver on the female part which wouldn't fit inside the skate.