Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snipecity

Lacrosse

My eldest son (10) and eldest daughter (12) are in the middle of their second year playing field. We love it so far and it seems to be growing fast here in Texas. Hopefully UT or one of the other big (rich) colleges here will go D1. Anyhow, my kids are having a blast with it. I really see it helping my sons elusiveness and hands on the ice rink.

played 5 years of (box) Jr A lacrosse in ontario and 3 years of junior field lacrosse as well… love lacrosse! getting to create your own pocket is probably one of my favourite things about lacrosse.

My eldest son (10) and eldest daughter (12) are in the middle of their second year playing field. We love it so far and it seems to be growing fast here in Texas. Hopefully UT or one of the other big (rich) colleges here will go D1. Anyhow, my kids are having a blast with it. I really see it helping my sons elusiveness and hands on the ice rink.

It's really cool to see how lacrosse has grown places Cali, Texas and FLA. UT should follow the same path that Wolverines did (MCLA to NCAA D1). Logistics is always seems to be the biggest hurdle with these the Midwest/West coast schools. I'm rooting for it to happen.

Lacrosse looks like good fun, I've always wanted to learn, but I don't think there's much if any opportunity to jump in as an adult. :( 

This is my 9 year old son's second year. He loves it.  Played a lot of goalie last year, said he wants to split it 50/50 playing out.  It's nice not coaching- I just show up and sit in the sun and watch. After six months of hockey it's nice to just relax and enjoy the fresh air.  

In my fourth season as a long pole defenceman. It's a blast until one of the best shooters on the team (plays for both freshman and varsity teams) hits you in the thigh with a shot from a composite (still relatively new to this sport) stick. 

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Lacrosse looks like good fun, I've always wanted to learn, but I don't think there's much if any opportunity to jump in as an adult. :( 

There are some down here - the local sportsplex has an adult box program I believe. 

14 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

In my fourth season as a long pole defenceman. It's a blast until one of the best shooters on the team (plays for both freshman and varsity teams) hits you in the thigh with a shot from a composite (still relatively new to this sport) stick. 

There are some down here - the local sportsplex has an adult box program I believe. 

I played goalie for 10 years I have zero sympathy for you.

3 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

:laugh:

Allegedly, US Lacrosse runs a co-ed Learn-to-Play (Learn-the-Basics) for adults (throw, catch, etc), but the local chapter's website says now those programs are run by town programs.  Which would be fine, of course, if you knew which towns offered them.  Now you have to go run down the town program websites to see. 

I think there might have been a Box lacrosse clinic (for adults) down on the southcoast or thereabouts at some point (I'm in MA) but I don't think it's run anymore.  A few of the leagues suggest they would welcome novices, and I can throw and catch okay (at least, wall-ball wise), but lacrosse is pretty well established here and it sounds like I'd just end up getting run over by a bunch of post-collegiate 23 year olds.  (I'm almost old enough to join one of the old-men teams, but then I get run over by 40 year olds.) 

4 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Fair enough.

19 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Fair enough.

I'm just messing with you.  Secretly I always laughed when on of my d-men got hit and cried about it.  You honestly get used to it as a goalie.  I mean it never feels good, but when it came down to it I would rather have had that nasty bruise than losing the game.  The worst time of year to be a goalie is when its cold it hurts that much more.  Camps also sucked way more than the regular season.  Doing those 2 or 3 a days of just constantly getting shot on never fun.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, strosedefence34 said:

I'm just messing with you.  Secretly I always laughed when on of my d-men got hit and cried about it.  You honestly get used to it as a goalie.  I mean it never feels good, but when it came down to it I would rather have had that nasty bruise than losing the game.  The worst time of year to be a goalie is when its cold it hurts that much more.  Camps also sucked way more than the regular season.  Doing those 2 or 3 a days of just constantly getting shot on never fun.

It wasn't / isn't painful - just hit close to the groin and stung for a minute, but I get what you're saying. 

I've heard there's a Box pickup in... Canton or Foxboro?  About an hour south of Boston.  Considered volunteering to goal, because I am not sane.

Would you say it's easier to learn the basics in Box or Field?  How different are the rules, aside from numbers of players and smaller pitch size? 

7 hours ago, badger_14 said:

I've heard there's a Box pickup in... Canton or Foxboro?  About an hour south of Boston.  Considered volunteering to goal, because I am not sane.

Would you say it's easier to learn the basics in Box or Field?  How different are the rules, aside from numbers of players and smaller pitch size? 

DISCLAIMER: I have never played box lacrosse.

-Field is much larger and has 10 players (3 offence, 3 midfielders, 3 defence, goalie). Box has 6 at a time. 
-Field players have varying stick lengths (typically, 30'' shaft for attack and midfield, 60'' for defence and some midfield, 40'' for goalie). All box players use ~42. 

-Box goalies wear Garth Snow size equipment. Field goalies wear almost nothing.

12 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

DISCLAIMER: I have never played box lacrosse.

-Field is much larger and has 10 players (3 offence, 3 midfielders, 3 defence, goalie). Box has 6 at a time. 
-Field players have varying stick lengths (typically, 30'' shaft for attack and midfield, 60'' for defence and some midfield, 40'' for goalie). All box players use ~42. 

-Box goalies wear Garth Snow size equipment. Field goalies wear almost nothing.

So field is soccer/bandy with grass and balls, and box is hockey with (fake) grass and balls.