Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

martin is the old guy that runs it right? he got mad at me one time because i had to fill up multiple water bottles. he's a prick but makes the rink money so he thinks he's above everyone else.

martin is the old guy that runs it right? he got mad at me one time because i had to fill up multiple water bottles. he's a prick but makes the rink money so he thinks he's above everyone else.

Heh yea. I once told him I'd be there and he said "okay, thanks". I don't know, maybe it's just my weird logic, but to me that means "yes, I understand that you will be coming". I guess not. I show up and theres another goalie there. I email him back asking him WTF happened and he's like "I never confirmed you were playing." WTF else does "okay, thanks" in response to "I'll be there" mean then, exactly?

Luckily in that situation the other goalie didn't actually want to play that night anyway, he had some other commitment he was bailing out of to play, so I got to play anyway.

Either way like I said, he needs me more than I need him. With how many rinks are now in the area I'm not too worried about it.

This guy sounds like my rink director. I used to volunteer my Sunday nights to coach the adult learn-to-play clinic, for no pay. The head coach got paid, but I did not. But we were the only two and it was difficult for him to run it on his own, so I came out. I enjoyed it because it was free ice time for me, and I could work on my own things while the skaters scrimmaged or were in break, and such. I also was allowed to stay on the ice afterwards for as long as I wanted, as long as I put the nets away, which was great.

I was also playing in the B league which was very competitive. Well, they couldn't get enough A teams for a league, so all of those guys dropped down into our league. Other teams all added some of these guys, and we didn't. Two full teams came in as well. So the league quickly became lopsided. It wasn't the same league we started in, and it wasn't fun as a bunch of B level 30+ yo adults, chasing around a team of all the 22-25 yo kids that had all been on the rink's junior team. So we asked him to move down a league. And he refused. He said that if we wanted to get better then he had A league guys to give us. We said we didn't want to kick anyone off to add better players, and didn't want to play in this league. He told us too bad. So we comitted to the competing rink to play in the comparable league we wanted on the same night.

After i was boarded from behind in a game against those junior kids and left the game, i was talking to the assistant hockey director, and talking about the problems with this team in particular. I told him we couldn't compete and weren't happy, and would have to take the spot at the other rink if he didn't at least do something to even things out. Well the next day, the guy who coaches the clinic with me got an email saying I was not to be admitted on to the ice anymore because I had a spot at the other rink. Seriously? You're going to hurt the clinic that ll these people come to because you're too incompetent to manage your league correctly and my team left? of course, I got an email 6 months later when he couldn't find a coach to fill in for a night.

What an asshat, psulion. I don't get why it's so difficult for people to talk to you like you're a human being. In my situation all he had to say was "your spot is being taken by a guy coming back who played with this group for years" (if that was the case).

With me, I can take no for an answer as long as you're not a dick about it. I've had a few exchanges in the past where "sorry, no, I/we can't because..." would have been great, but instead it was a dickish remark. Like seriously, we're adults and theres no reason you have to talk to me that way.

Anyway, this is moving into more the realm for the venting thread at this point so I'm going to get back on topic. I need to go charge my gopro for tonight :)

I wouldn't see that as being pulled, when I go to pickup the other goalie and I will switch sides every 20-25 minutes to give everyone a different goalie to shoot on. Keep working at it, pickup hockey is just another practice in my eyes

• Like 2

Meh, I've never seen goalies switch ends in this pickup in the year I've been there. I think the team I was on was getting tired of fishing the puck out of the net, lol.

Either way, learning experience. I don't know why I'm so bad lately though. I had a stretch where I was doing really well about a month ago.

have you worked on getting up with your right leg yet?

Not really. I don't really want to start trying things during games, and the pickups are too back and forth to really get a good chance.

Pickup is perfect time to try everything besides playing with actual defense. Goals don't matter so you can specifically work on things.

• Like 1

Pickup is perfect time to try everything besides playing with actual defense. Goals don't matter so you can specifically work on things.

I generally agree but when people are clearly getting annoyed by how much you're letting in...

I generally agree but when people are clearly getting annoyed by how much you're letting in...

practice during warm up man, practice when play is at the other end. some practice is better than no practice. if you never practice it, you will never improve. (if your goal is to improve)

• Like 1

last night i subbed in Bronze East (2.5 levels above Rookie) and stopped 23 of 24 and got the win, 5-1. only goal came in the 2nd after i stopped the first two shots and the d couldnt clear it. one of their guys roofed it from the middle of the slot, top blocker corner. i had so much fun, the game moved so much faster and it had great flow. i really, really, really hope to play at this level full-time next season!!!

• Like 4

Since I'm not in between seasons, I figured now would be a good time to post my stats so far. I don't know what's wrong with the GAA stat, it's obviously broken. Also missing is my Winter/Spring playoff game, also a loss. (0-3 in playoff games so far... yikes).

Overall, there's no question that I'm getting beat a lot more in a division up, which isn't surprising. It's not usually shots beating me, it's often better passing combined with my lack of mobility. That will get better with time, though.

xyc3e8i.png

I picked up my first shutout for the season tonight in a 4-0 win. Other team started gooning it up in the third, our team just took the puck and ran :)

• Like 3

man that's cool, good job.

As for practicing new things, I don't really care if its in pickup, they all know better than to get serious with me, I just squirt them with water. as soon as the play goes the other way I just start sliding post to post and trying to do lateral movement or skate away to get a breeze.

hell during a heavy play I got annoyed that I was taking so many shots so I got up and took a swig of water while play went on and just swung my stick and leg up and down and still blocked a shot. no biggie.

get creative and try new stuff, its the only way you'll get better and theres no better time to do it than in pickup. Don't be Mr. Game 7 and don't let them get to you if they're acting like mr game 7.

• Like 2

Who the hell drinks the goalie's water? Don't do that. Definitely don't ask if you can and then drink it without waiting for a response. Numbskull(s) drank all my water while I was busy stopping pucks and sweating my face off.

Joke's on them, though, I have a bad cold/fever. Enjoy your new virus friend!