Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

magnets-

How long was your hiatus? That could have a bit to do with your slump.

Sometimes when a few fluke goals happen, it works your mind game over time.

Try to shake it off and have some fun.

was only a few weeks. Nowhere near long enough to justify the slump IMO.

was only a few weeks. Nowhere near long enough to justify the slump IMO.

It can contribute.

Sometimes, we forget that this is supposed to be fun.

I predict that you are going to have a better game next time up :)

It can contribute.

Sometimes, we forget that this is supposed to be fun.

I predict that you are going to have a better game next time up :)

I hope so :) Wednesday night it is.

Just going to forget everything and focus on the puck.

Hey guys. I've been lurking in this forum for a little bit. I'm thinking about starting to play goal. However, I suffered a lower back injury about a year ago that I might be stuck with for life. I also have some knee issues but those are from being overweight at 5'6" and 275.

I guess I'm asking if goaltending is hard on the lower back? I know it can be on the knees. I'm also getting back into the game after a little bit of a hiatus so my skating and everything isn't up to where it should be.

Should I stick with playing out first and then maybe look at goaltending? Or go for it now? I'm not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Standing in a goalie stance isn't necessarily hard on the lower back, unless you round your back out. Can you comfortably stand in a fairly deep bodyweight squat? The good news is that being shorter theoretically means you can stand up a bit straighter and still be covering net instead of the area above the crossbar.

Actually playing, as opposed to just standing there with pads on . . . well, I guess it depends how bad you want the puck. It can require a lot of rotational movements and the ability to bend comfortably in each direction while standing or on your knees. Since I'm not very good, I end up flopping. A lot. That usually takes some very rapid and awkward rotational movement. And there's always the possibility of getting run over.

With that said, if your lower back is good enough to let you skate out, it's probably good enough to let explore playing goal. I say "go for it!"

I would strongly recommend investing in some very good knee pads and pads with soft landing gear if you plan on playing a butterfly style at your current weight (no offense). I'd be less worried about back and knee injury and more about the femur/hip interface, which is not designed to take the repeated impact of slamming your knees to the ice - at any weight.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray

Hey guys. I've been lurking in this forum for a little bit. I'm thinking about starting to play goal. However, I suffered a lower back injury about a year ago that I might be stuck with for life. I also have some knee issues but those are from being overweight at 5'6" and 275.

I guess I'm asking if goaltending is hard on the lower back? I know it can be on the knees. I'm also getting back into the game after a little bit of a hiatus so my skating and everything isn't up to where it should be.

Should I stick with playing out first and then maybe look at goaltending? Or go for it now? I'm not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated!

As someone who started at roughly your same ratio (although I've dropped quite a bit since playing goal) I say go for it. I didn't have any particular back problems, but I had no previous history of injury. I did find it took a while to build up strength in my legs and thighs, along with core. My thighs were quite sore after games for a while! Definitely exercise off-ice in addition to playing, and don't play too much all at once.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. I'm going to see what my tax return brings and look at some pads!

Flop: that's actually a very good thing to consider! no offense taken.

It's going to be a pain to find skates though. My foot is so weird.

Edited by bolt91

Here's the video from my Sunday game. Not a good one. Lost 9-2. I was WAY off on my angles, down too early, out of position etc. All of that compounded by a guy who decided to chirp me the entire game. Had enough by the end after he decided he was going to skate past me in the handshake line. Unfortunately no footage of the "altercation" at the end, because I'd taken the GoPro down already by that point. The guy with two different socks with the ponytail has absolutely zero class. He's the same guy that bailed early after we beat them when we only had 5 skaters a few weeks ago.

Even the refs thought it was ridiculous. Unfortunately he wasn't actually breaking any rules (though I have seen refs in this league give out misconducts for taunting before).

Anyway, from a "using my footage to improve my game" standpoint, I'll be forgetting this one. There was nothing good about my play. Moving away from shots, losing my angle, going down early, awful rebound control, etc. Keep in mind I cut these videos down to all my saves and all my goals against; you'll notice there were very few saves in this one.

Anyway, enjoy, or whatever.

Did you take chirpy out? I hope you did, Opti.

Edit- just watched the game.

The next time you play against ponytail boy, you need to make certain he doesn't want to get anywhere near you, if you know what I mean. He needs a bit of stick therapy.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

Yea, I tried lol. Refs jumped in too quick.

He'd better not come anywhere near the crease, that's for sure. He might get a bit of a love tap, Hextall style.

Honestly you can chirp all you want, but once that final buzzer goes have some class and shake hands.

Yea, I tried lol. Refs jumped in too quick.

He'd better not come anywhere near the crease, that's for sure. He might get a bit of a love tap, Hextall style.

Honestly you can chirp all you want, but once that final buzzer goes have some class and shake hands.

Sir, I do not disagree in the least.

Hexy gave good stick therapy, as did my idol Billy Smith.

I believe mismatch sock ponytail boy needs a therapeutic session with your goal stick. Maybe get out the composite for the next time you play against "classy".

• Like 1

Got the slump-buster tonight.

Last game of the regular season, a 24 shot shutout, with my team winning 6-0. Two games being played on Sunday will decide our final position which is anywhere from first to third.

Bring on the playoffs!

• Like 3

Got the slump-buster tonight.

Last game of the regular season, a 24 shot shutout, with my team winning 6-0. Two games being played on Sunday will decide our final position which is anywhere from first to third.

Bring on the playoffs!

Good onya, matey!!!!!

Here's the video from my Sunday game. Not a good one. Lost 9-2. I was WAY off on my angles, down too early, out of position etc. All of that compounded by a guy who decided to chirp me the entire game. Had enough by the end after he decided he was going to skate past me in the handshake line. Unfortunately no footage of the "altercation" at the end, because I'd taken the GoPro down already by that point. The guy with two different socks with the ponytail has absolutely zero class. He's the same guy that bailed early after we beat them when we only had 5 skaters a few weeks ago.

I think you played better than you're giving yourself credit for. The only really soft goals IMHO were after he got into your head (the one off the skate and the short side one where you were down). Mistakes happen; they just got luckier than usual this week and were able to capitalize on a high percentage of them. It also didn't look like your defense was helping you as much as they normally do.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray

Here's the video from last night's pickup. Messed up the camera angle, but improved it (slightly) eventually. I was pretty happy with the play for the most part. After the disaster of Sunday's game, this was a nice confidence booster. I was really dying by the end though - it really shows when I haven't been working out!

Highlights/Lowlights:

- Fixed the camera at 01:36
- Yard sale leading to a goal at 02:39
- Hat trick in a single shift at 04:04
- Forgot how to goalie at 05:12
- Guy getting dinged in the chops at 06:58
- Bad decision on a breakaway at 07:08
- Decent glove at 07:28
- Oops at 08:42

I think you played better than you're giving yourself credit for. The only really soft goals IMHO were after he got into your head (the one off the skate and the short side one where you were down). Mistakes happen; they just got luckier than usual this week and were able to capitalize on a high percentage of them. It also didn't look like your defense was helping you as much as they normally do.

Yeah that one was especially bad. Also the one that I went paddle down for some inexplicable reason and leaving a good 8-10 inches of net open on the side. Just a horrible decision. I agree the D didn't play well, they know this team's entire game plan is "give Harley Quinn the puck and let him score" and they really need to cover him more. This is the team we beat when we only had 5 skaters, too. We won THAT game because we had a guy basically stapled to him the entire game.

Looking good, man . . . way to get back on that horse. It looks like you are recovering from that paddle down position a lot faster this week and really staying with the play by pushing back through the crease to your left. Awesome!

The stars aligned with my EMS schedule and I found an 11-week clinic that only cost $21 (including a goal cut jersey). It is more geared towards raw beginner skaters (who have to pay $250 to skate out :ohmy:) although there are some individuals who play D-level beer league or have been to the camp before. I couldn't beat the price, so I decided to give it a go.

Coming from the caliber of player I've been facing since I started, it is definitely an adjustment. I'm not sure if it's for the better yet. The nice thing is, the skaters and shots are so slow I have a lot more time to work on getting my technique perfect. They also do a real warmup with the coaches hitting us in the pads and leading us through movement drills before we start facing shooters. Facing hundreds of shots a night should be pretty decent cardio as well. The potential issues are that there is not really much goalie-specific coaching, and the drills are so fast I don't get a lot of time to focus on tracking my rebounds and recovering properly. It looks like I will still be self-coaching quite a bit.

If anyone has tips for things to work on when the coaches just want to use you as a target, which I understand is the norm at many levels of hockey, I would really appreciate it.

In other news, I just unloaded a bunch of stuff on eBay, and I'm pretty sure that is going to turn into a Bauer Reactor 6000 trapper, and maybe a new blocker as well (looking at the Reebok P4).

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 1

Opti, have you been working on sealing that left leg to the ice when you drop, and/or push across the crease?

Here are some screen grabs with time stamps on them so you can see what I mean. Looks like you heavily favor your right leg when moving once you drop, and rarely, if ever get your left leg sealed to the ice.

opti2_zpsphba49fy.jpg

This video might also help you with pushing...I know you keep saying your right leg doesn't cooperate or something, but I say keep trying and it will eventually learn through repetition.

Edited by beedee

Opti, have you been working on sealing that left leg to the ice when you drop, and/or push across the crease?

Nope. The only ice I see is my games on Sunday and occasionally pickup on Tuesday. No time to work on anything.

Nope. The only ice I see is my games on Sunday and occasionally pickup on Tuesday. No time to work on anything.

Come on man, you have all of warm-ups to work on that, and at pickup, I'm sure there is warm up time as well. When the play is at the other end of the ice you can work on it too.

I always work on pendulums and vh/rvh throughout the game when the puck is at the other end of the ice. Usually always do it before the start of each period as well.

Since our daughter was born 6 months ago, I haven't had time to go to pick-up or sticktiime, yet I still manage to work on stuff as I mentioned above. I know others have mentioned these times of the game and what not are great for working on stuff. I suppose if people really want to learn/improve their technique they will make the time.

Edited by beedee

Come on man, you have all of warm-ups to work on that, and at pickup, I'm sure there is warm up time as well. When the play is at the other end of the ice you can work on it too.

I always work on pendulums and vh/rvh throughout the game when the puck is at the other end of the ice. Usually always do it before the start of each period as well.

Since our daughter was born 6 months ago, I haven't had time to go to pick-up or sticktiime, yet I still manage to work on stuff as I mentioned above. I know others have mentioned these times of the game and what not are great for working on stuff. I suppose if people really want to learn/improve their technique they will make the time.

We don't really have warmups. 3 minutes usually spent stretching and taking a couple shots. As far as working on stuff during the game I'm not sure how you find the time. I'm trying to catch my breath when the puck is at the other end. Also trying to keep focus on the play. I'm also trying to not go down more than I have to so my legs aren't shot by the 3rd period. I wish I had more time, I just don't.

I also can't just work on things if I don't actually know how to do them correctly in the first place.

I hear ya regarding during the game. It all depends on how the game is going, I should have specified that. If it is one of those ones where you are working hard all game and are sucking wind any spare second you have, then yeah, screw practicing stuff when play is at the far end. Otherwise, you just have to go for it.

There are tons of videos out there, I know you know how to internet, lol. I've never had any formal training but watch all those youtube videos (including the Wogtech that you graciously hooked me up with).

Anyhow, thanks for posting your videos. I'm still lagging hard on getting a suction cup mount. Once I get one I'll post some footage.

The down time during pickups is probably a more likely bet than during a game, but those are so damn long the whole 'trying to save energy' thing is multiplied even more. 90-100 minutes on the ice without any significant amount of rest is brutal. At least games have whistles! I've started including a small bit of footage of me putting my mask back down and grabbing my stick only 3-4 seconds before having to make a save just to show how little time I often have for a break. Hell, there's been times I've skated out of the net with my bottle because they seem to have decided only THEY get water breaks.

By the end of the last video I posted I was barely able to skate back to the benches, and definitely needed somebody to open the door for me. I can definitely tell when I haven't been working out, it really shows on the ice.

What I REALLY need to do is to actually just hit the open ice times or stick time/puck play. Just wear the lowers and maybe the mask (just in case) and work on movement. However being on the road away from home almost every single week kills that idea for the most part. I hate travel!

I also really should hire a goalie coach, even if just for 1-2 sessions. It's not THAT expensive and would probably go a long way.

That said, even if I'm not specifically working on some things, its definitely getting better in general. I just can't wait for my new pads... likely mid february!

Drop-in hockey report:

Had a ten minute shut out going, then the deluge happened.

Stopped Donnie McDangles a couple of times, but he got a hat trick and a half on me. I did stuff him good when he tried getting too "cute" on me.

Stopping break aways is NOT my strong suit. I just SUCK in a 1 on 0 situation.

I made some weird stops, and made a couple good ones.

I also let in dumb ones. I got pucks banked in off of my skates and the handle of my stick.

I also froze the puck against the outside of the net with my stick handle.

I see incremental improvement, but feeling comfortable playing leagues is a bit into the future for me.

• Like 2

Just feeling straight-up depressed about my play. I didn't actually see a lot of shots total (my teammates kept it mostly down at the other end of the rink) but let in stupid goals and felt accordingly stupid. I think I let in 5 or 6? Whatever it was did not feel like a good ratio. They insist I played well, though whether that's honest or just trying to protect sad goalie feelings is another question entirely.

I did find out that the rink down the street from me has actual, honest-to-god scheduled stick times, that are even on their website (the rink is part of a private school and their online info has been limited at best in the past) and there's one on my usual day off so I might go out Tuesday. There's no telling who might be there. Kids on lunch break? (it's PreK - 9th grade, junior boarding) Adults on lunch break? Homeschoolers? No one?