Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

21 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

I've heard good things about Herbalife shakes and they do taste awesome. After watching my mom and brother go through a couple of different tries at losing weight my biggest piece of advice would be that even though you are trying to lose weight don't forget that a cheat day every now and then could be the difference of continuing the weight loss program for a longer period of time. Too much change all at once normally leads to an abrupt halt of the program. Slow and steady wins the race! 

Thanks for the advice. It is advice that needs re-iterating for any of us trying to shed a few pounds.

I have done this before, as after I quit hockey and was married very young, we could only afford crap food and I ballooned to 15 stone in a year's time. I was 9 stone. Okay- 215# from 127-ish.

It took me two years of diet and exercise to get back down, then I became a competitive cyclist and duathlete. I learnt after a few fails in diet that it is a marathon, not a race as far as weight loss goes.  I also now have to learn that I can't creep back into bad eating habits and recover like I used to, as I am pretty ancient.  This is as close as I have ever been to being as heavy as I was in my late teens/early twenties. 

We're also trying smoothies and stuff because of my wife's ongoing medical problems. We have come to the conclusion that food you eat has a direct correlation to health, and some deficiencies can be relieved by food rather than supplements. She definitely has been making a slow, steady turn, as she FINALLY(!) quit smoking.I definitely know about the cheat days, as if you deprive yourself for too long, you end up with a cheat YEAR!!!!

I will try the Herbalife shakes. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Goodluck to you and your wife! Also, think of it like an opportunity to see how mentally tough you are which will of course help you with goaltending! Eating right and exercising can make all the difference on one's health.

• Like 1

We did an Advocare 24-day Challenge.

The program is good because it gives you structure to kick start your weight loss.  It's not cheap, but I think it's worth it for the month or so it lasts.  We have pretty much stopped with the products from them, but maintain the eating habits that we adopted.  They make shakes that we keep on hand just in case we need a quick meal.  And unlike many other companies, their shakes are damn delicious.

I'm not a crazy Atkins or no-carb freak.  But we have attained a lot of success but cutting out most white carbs.  No regular flour, no sugar, no white rice, limited white potatoes.  Instead we eat whole wheat bread, use honey or agave for sweetener, eat brown rice, and eat sweet potatoes more.  It's a pretty easy change to make that doesn't require a tremendous amount of planning.  Saturday is cheat day where we eat whatever we want.

The problem with natural fruit or veggie smoothies is that they are loaded with sugar and calories from the fruit/veg, even without adding any sweetener.  You'll be better off going with a product like Advocare or another premium nutritional shake (maybe Herbalife?) that uses protein and fiber to make you full, but doesn't have much sugar or carbs.  Plus they are easier to make and clean up after, and can be made away from home in a shaker bottle.

• Like 1

Optimus, sorry to hear about your plight. Be careful when they take off your cast and put you in a boot, you will end up burning much less calories without the crutches. It's the only time I've ever gained weight...

Also don't hop around too much I ended up breaking a toe. I suggest a bag and tupperware to help you move food and other items around the house...

• Like 1

Went to some drop-in today to try out the GoPro. There's a huge skill difference between myself and the others present at the drop-in but I feel as if I held my own. There's times that I don't drop down even though I know I should. This makes some of my saves look really, really awkward but I've been slowly weeding this out of my play; a bit more time and it should be completely gone. I need to start focusing on my puckhandling and movement a bit more but I'm slowly coming along. Any critiques on my positioning or what I'm doing in certain situations would be extremely helpful! Towards the beginning of the session a puck glanced off my helmet and caused the mount to fall just slightly so the angle isn't the greatest. I'm also going to see about getting the suction cup mount so I can put the GoPro on the glass instead of my helmet for the next time I can make it to drop-in. Hopefully the link to the video works, I was having a bit of trouble with it but if it doesn't I guess I'll just try again.

Edited by tedpenguins
  • Like 1

I had a really awful day on Saturday - my game probably wasn't that bad, but it felt bad and I was in a tough emotional state anyway.  I may or may not have been trapped in a despair-thicket, which are treacherous, nasty places that sneak up on you and make you feel like you are nothing.  Fortunately it improved within a good 24 hours but this week has already been tough, and there's no hockey this weekend because it's a holiday and people are doing other things.  I'm not sure why "playing hockey" can't be one of those things.  I would try to find another spot on Saturday, but  I'm feeling pretty bad about my game, so perhaps a bit of a break will be for the best. 

• Like 1

Despair-thickets ain't no joke. Just this morning am beginning to see the light again after my performance this past Monday night. I'm doing the same thing, taking a week off and then I'm going to hit it hard next week. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, badger_14 said:

I had a really awful day on Saturday - my game probably wasn't that bad, but it felt bad and I was in a tough emotional state anyway.  I may or may not have been trapped in a despair-thicket, which are treacherous, nasty places that sneak up on you and make you feel like you are nothing.  Fortunately it improved within a good 24 hours but this week has already been tough, and there's no hockey this weekend because it's a holiday and people are doing other things.  I'm not sure why "playing hockey" can't be one of those things.  I would try to find another spot on Saturday, but  I'm feeling pretty bad about my game, so perhaps a bit of a break will be for the best. 

Sorry to hear that. 

Maybe a break would do you good. 

Hope things steady for you.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

Shoulda Worn the "Kaholik" Sweater (subtitle- Thursday and Friday Drop-In Report): 

Thursday was good turnout, but three goalies. Three is NOT a magic number, unlike the ABC Schoolhouse Rocks number says. Someone is always coming in cold, not being able to get into a rhythm. I got hit on my mastoid bone from a clearing pass as I was relieving the goalie. Yes, it hurt, but it would have hurt much more if the puck would have hit a masque back plate. I think I will stay with my SK2000 clone, thank you very much. I let in some really stupid goals. I made a couple of good saves, but bungled a LOT. Of course the only defense I got was from this tree top bender-pylon  who saw fit to stand DIRECTLY in my line of sight so I saw ZERO shots. Ugh. I wore the Kaholik sweater, btw.

Today (Friday) was another Klustertruck- three goalies AGAIN!!!! None of the other goalies bothered to talk to me on how we were switching it up. One was trying to get more time than the others of us. I have to say I would rather it be FOUR goalies than three. Ugh. This was at normally my FAVOURITE skate, but there were a LOT of noobies (as the youngin's are out of school now, ugh) and the scrimmage became a chip fest. The noobies shot head-high shots. It got silly physical. My play was meh. I felt like a heel shoving this 5'2" girl out of my crease, but she was in my grille!!! I had to do a fair bit of shoving to get these people out of the blue paint. Ugh. I took a shot DIRECTLY in the dangler, which only made noise (wearing an Itech N9 made of composite by Kustom Composites). I wore my Hasek sweater, which the only thing Hasek-like I did was be a bit unconventional; the athletic movements were not present. 

Should've worn the  Kaholik sweater...

Ugh.

Edited by bunnyman666

23 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

Went to some drop-in today to try out the GoPro. There's a huge skill difference between myself and the others present at the drop-in but I feel as if I held my own. There's times that I don't drop down even though I know I should. This makes some of my saves look really, really awkward but I've been slowly weeding this out of my play; a bit more time and it should be completely gone. I need to start focusing on my puckhandling and movement a bit more but I'm slowly coming along. Any critiques on my positioning or what I'm doing in certain situations would be extremely helpful! Towards the beginning of the session a puck glanced off my helmet and caused the mount to fall just slightly so the angle isn't the greatest. I'm also going to see about getting the suction cup mount so I can put the GoPro on the glass instead of my helmet for the next time I can make it to drop-in. Hopefully the link to the video works, I was having a bit of trouble with it but if it doesn't I guess I'll just try again.

Definitely need that suction mount! It's so much better. Can't really see what's going on in your video (especially after your camera angle gets screwed up)

My thoughts exactly Optimus. I wish I would have realized that the camera angle might have shifted but I guess the past is the past. I'm also going to look at getting the plain wrist/forearm strap to put around the center post. I'll do a bit of experimenting to see which would be the easiest and fastest to take down (we don't get a break between periods in my league, just enough time to skate the length of the ice to switch nets). Of course this wouldn't allow me to see the play developing but I would at least be able to see my movements and how I react to the puck.

Honestly the suction cup is going to be quicker than anything else especially because you can easily remove/install it with one hand (I never take my hand out of my glove once I leave the dressing room).

it will also be a far better angle for learning!

Sweet! That'll be next on my list then. If only I had the money to get more GoPros to cover even more angles, that would be awesome. The chirps would definitely be going against me all night though lol

6 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

Sweet! That'll be next on my list then. If only I had the money to get more GoPros to cover even more angles, that would be awesome. The chirps would definitely be going against me all night though lol

I had one behind the net and another on my chin at one point. I had guys going "now you KNOW we're going to be aiming for that thing, now..."

I always have one on the end glass, but im thinking of trying one in the net, or from the bench looking at the net. My old one is 720p@60 and the new one is 1080p@60. I don't really have a need for 4K ;) 

On 5/26/2016 at 7:03 AM, FREQUENCY247 said:

Despair-thickets ain't no joke. Just this morning am beginning to see the light again after my performance this past Monday night. I'm doing the same thing, taking a week off and then I'm going to hit it hard next week. 

22 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Sorry to hear that. 

Maybe a break would do you good. 

Hope things steady for you.

I am feeling better, mainly what needs to happen is that I need some time to socialize with people who aren't my co-workers, other medical professionals, patients, or children under the age of 6.  I'll go visit the ocean this weekend, or something.  The water's a bit cold for normal people, but nothing that the Badger-shaped can't handle.

• Like 1

Saturday Stick and Puck Report-

Five f***ing goalies showed up!!!! Fack me!!!!!

But it didn't turn out that bad; in fact- it was okay. 

We had enough show up for a four on four half ice scrimmage. We each played five minutes each with what ended up as a 15 minute break. I would sit for ten minutes, then warm back up with slides and recoveries for five minutes. I shut out the first five minutes. I let in one goal on a rebound I gave up in my second five minutes. I then went to the other half of the ice and let a few try break aways on me. After two days of lacklustre sessions, this wasn't terrible. In all, I didn't even let in too many.

Note that I didn't use the word "ugh" once in this report. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Where in the hell are all these goalies coming from? 

Well, they (and the players) all went bye bye, as evidenced in the...

SUNDAY STICK AND PUCK REPORT:

Nobody was there. I had the ice to myself. I worked on drops, slides, recoveries, two pad stacks, positioning, gathering pucks into my glove, T-pushes, C-cuts, and clearing the puck.

Ugh.

• Like 1

Knee injury has not gotten better, sold my pads yesterday and shipped them out.  Gonna take a few months off and maybe i'll hit up some sale and get pads later when I'm ready at least.

an unfortunate move but, it had to be done.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Well, they (and the players) all went bye bye, as evidenced in the...

SUNDAY STICK AND PUCK REPORT:

Nobody was there. I had the ice to myself. I worked on drops, slides, recoveries, two pad stacks, positioning, gathering pucks into my glove, T-pushes, C-cuts, and clearing the puck.

Ugh.

Holiday weekends, I suppose.  Perpetually confounding.  :(  Well, at least you got to work on something?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thinkingjack said:

Knee injury has not gotten better, sold my pads yesterday and shipped them out.  Gonna take a few months off and maybe i'll hit up some sale and get pads later when I'm ready at least.

That sucks dude :( Hopefully you'll be back out there eventually! 

12 hours ago, Thinkingjack said:

Sorry to read that. Maybe the knee will be right as rain in that short amount of time.

20 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Holiday weekends, I suppose.  Perpetually confounding.  :(  Well, at least you got to work on something?

Yeah, that's the positive part.

Monday Drop-In Report:

The stupid tossers didn't bother to announce that Stick and Puck was CANCELLED!!!! Drove 40 minutes to find that out.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!