Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

So this past Tuesday I finally saw an orthopedic doctor (same one I saw for similar issues several years ago), he poked around at my knee for a bit and said "yeah, this is sort of concerning in an active guy your age, an x-ray won't tell me much, go get an MRI and we'll follow up."  So I'm due to have an MRI on the 5th. 

Hockey player mentality, tho, while scheduling: "Hm, do I really want the 5th?  That's my day off, I was going to play hockey ... wait wait wait no, idiot, we're going for an MRI to solve the problem of being IN PAIN WHILE PLAYING HOCKEY god.  Schedule it." 

Hopefully though it's nothing serious and just needs some PT.  I hope this continues to go quickly, because all the other muscles in my back and leg are locking up from trying to avoid the pain in my knee. 

• Like 1

@badger_14 You need to go for the MRI instead of playing hockey, as the ability to play future hockey depends on what is found. Yes, it seems you're already doing that, which is good. I know- it is very tempting to just go play at the first opportunity. 

Here are good thoughts your way for it to ONLY need rehab.

• Like 2

No, not playing on Tuesday - it was just a reflex "but it's our day off we can play hockey" thing.  No, right now I'm sticking to swimming and whatever physical activity my job(s) demand of me.  (unfortunately, that meant recently playing tag with the kids, and also playing soccer with the kids, and chase, and um, that was not fun.  but you can't really explain to a 4 year old why their favorite babysitter can't run just now.)

• Like 1

Stick and Puck Report:

Seriously? Nobody bloody well knows about this one? It was just Dewayne and I at the Blues Practise Facility. NHL-quality rink with nice, roomy benches. You get nice facilities.  Of course when the Blues get their new facility (with three sheets of ice), this one will shut down as it is in an economically depressed mall in an economically depressed area.

Dewayne ran some one-on-one drills. The fact that he is not a great shooter actually makes it MUCH harder for me. He hasn't played in about 30 years, so I give him a break. But the fact that his shot is EXTREMELY unpredictable helps me a bit. His knuckle ball shots are always hard to read, and I almost always miss those. I can now read some weird, random shots better. I don't trip on too many cage shots when I go down in the butterfly, I only trip when it is the only place the shots seem to go. But then again- as a beginning goalie, you MUST get used to those shots and NOT flinch or blink. Dewayne cage shot me several times, and it kinda got old. But I give Dewayne a pass on that, as his shot literally goes everywhere and I didn't trip. He skated in a lot of penalty shots, but also would try to bang in the rebounds. He kept six pucks on the ice between the red line and blue line. Five shots in a row works you out, for certain. He wanted to work on my rebounds. It's nice to have a trainer.

I could not stand Dewayne's Rollerblade hockey gloves OR his STX lacrosse gloves, so I gifted him my old Reebok Canadiens Centennial gloves (tan nylon). They look better on him, for certain. I hope he leaves the Rollerblade gloves home PERMANENTLY. 

Breaking in a new meat smoker as we speak. Have a good holiday weekend.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

Tuesday Drop-In Report:

It makes a HUGE difference in how many goals you let in by how good/bad your Defence is. Bloody fackin' hell- the two teams we NOWHERE NEAR balanced. The first five minutes I was in against the 'good' team, I let in THREE goals. ZERO defense. Fuck me!!!! That was miserable. But I was told how much I had improved over the LAST time I had played. I thought this was the ABSOLUTE WORST I had played in about a six week period. One bloke pointed out that I was playing both Goaler AND D.  He said that a Defenseman was supposed to be my "backdoor man" (Never heard of it quite like that). 

I am hoping to get picked up for league play. I may wait 'til next year. Oh well.  

Finally, my new club in it's ninth game finally picked up our first win!  Even better, I got my first B Grade shutout (thanks to an amazing block from a D man when a pass I made from behind the net went straight to the other team!

25 shots on goal, 25 saves, 3-0 win :)

• Like 2

After a couple weeks of resting (swimming only, and biking to and from work), and feeling generally better, I played this morning, which was not a great idea.  I did pretty well but more or less gave up by the last 5-10 minutes, as it just hurt too much whenever I did the usual goalie things (besides standing or skating).  I had an MRI on Tuesday (woo), and I have a follow-up next Tuesday so I'm hopeful that the doc will just tell me to rest/wear a brace/go to physical therapy, nothing major.  I don't want to get mixed up in surgery - I'm already waiting for approval on an unrelated surgery that will hopefully take place in September or late August, and keep me out of ambulance work for 6+ weeks, I don't need any additional invasiveness taking away my money-making abilities.

• Like 1

I've started trying to walk. Sort of. Still have the stupid boot on, and certainly can't take anything close to a full stride. Bad foot 6 inches forward, bring good foot beside it, repeat. 

The biggest problem im having right now is that the foot and ankle of my good leg is starting to hurt now just from over use.

So much for getting back to normal in 8 weeks... I'm already into week 8.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:32 PM, OptimusReim said:

I've started trying to walk. Sort of. Still have the stupid boot on, and certainly can't take anything close to a full stride. Bad foot 6 inches forward, bring good foot beside it, repeat. 

The biggest problem im having right now is that the foot and ankle of my good leg is starting to hurt now just from over use.

So much for getting back to normal in 8 weeks... I'm already into week 8.

Any progress is good though. Keep trucking through.

I ended up playing a terrible game last night and since it was so bad I had a lot to critique myself on. So perhaps it'll be helpful.

This was by far one of my worst of the year and easily the worst game of the summer. Since it was so bad I'll go through the breakdown below.

https://gfycat.com/HandyBlandLacewing
Decent blocker save while deflecting it to the corner out of danger, looks like my rebound control is good this game.

https://gfycat.com/SpanishBackAplomadofalcon
I REALLY have to start working on my hands after I badly whiff on this shot and have been struggling lately. I find when one part of my game becomes good and I get confident in it (right now that is positioning) I really start to fail and lose confidence in another (glove saves). I never track the puck into my glove and my positioning for it was far too close to my body instead of out front.

https://gfycat.com/DarkWellwornIrishwolfhound
Coming off that horrible goal I wanted to be aggressive and ensure I didn't let anything squeak by me. With no real threat coming in front of the net and a decent shooter coming down I decided to just shut off the entire short side with a post over-lapping butterfly and the shooter put it right into my pants. The only real play here was to try a wrap around, but from that close it does look like the 5-hole is open but I manage to get down in time and I had defense covering the other post.

https://gfycat.com/AthleticOrderlyCockatiel
I do a pretty good job here coming from the RVH to push out more to the middle to challenge to stop a pretty good save right in my chest. This shooter has given me difficulties in my normal league so I did a decent job not getting locked to the post. He might have had some room blocker side but I thought I played it pretty well.

https://gfycat.com/FluidSlowCranefly
The team I am playing for has a tendency to block shots or try to get in the way, and it usually ends up with me losing sight of the puck and that is exactly what happened here. I saw the shot when released and then lost it in #17, it gets deflected by his arm and I don't pick it up until far too late but luckily my post bails me out.

https://gfycat.com/IllinformedGrouchyEyra
I will say right away I should've gotten out of the RVH here and been on my feet. But like I said earlier this team tends to screen me a bit and with all the traffic and puck play being down low I figured it'd be better to just cut off the angle. I completely lose the puck through the sliding player and find it again just before it hits my glove. So it was a bad play but it worked out to be exactly how I figured it would.

https://gfycat.com/RipeGeneralBabirusa
Inactive hands again mean I fight this one off with my elbow/upper arm. Really should've been a pretty easy catch.

https://gfycat.com/WholePinkIcelandicsheepdog
Bad rebound control again. I should've slid into the shot to take it in my chest but I was nervous with the fairly open lane and opposition forward in front of the net. I make a pretty ugly blocker save and luckily the rebound bounces past any opponents as I put it right in front of the net.

https://gfycat.com/DefiantGlisteningInvisiblerail
Player coming in alone again, no real threat to the middle and he is so high and away even if I go down I feel I can recover to be set and square to a shot from the middle. I cover the angle fairly aggressively and drop into the butterfly to take away holes. This team seemed to shoot for the inside of my blocker a lot, so perhaps I was giving them some space blocker side, but it explains for the poor rebound control again here.

https://gfycat.com/GregariousAdeptKodiakbear
Right before this play one of their better players had a pretty open shot right between the hash marks, but he shot wide and the puck ended on the boards. On the shot I tried to direct it into the corner but it wasn't hard enough for me to do so and I believe I didn't get all of it and the puck got the top of my stick as well thus making the puck flutter to the glove side... and some good hand eye coordination bats it home.

https://gfycat.com/DeliriousOpenIndianhare
Another relative free lane to the net, but the defense does a good job removing any possibility of the shooter cutting back towards the middle. The shooter was also on the backhand so doesn't have too many options. I simply get low and cover all holes and make a stick save when the shooter tried to put it 5-hole.

https://gfycat.com/DigitalBraveEasternnewt
A deflection of the defense's stick leads to an awkward floating shot I try to bat away with my blocker. My recovery is really lazy and too slow here leading to an ugly VH save with my stick putting the puck behind the net. I should've been in the RVH here and made a much cleaner save.

https://gfycat.com/YellowDecimalAntlion
Relatively weak shot on net but with a player in front left alone in a dangerous position. I manage to get my glove on the initial shot but bobble it due to my poor hands, luckily I grab it out of the air before another goal from a flying rebound.

https://gfycat.com/TautAdmiredCockerspaniel
Right off the opening face off for the 3rd period and this happens. Again bad rebound control off the inside of my blocker, I would've been fine with the straight on rebound shot but defense slid to block it and I completely lost the puck and the shot. I think it deflected off of him and then my blocker and in. I over slid the rebound and wasn't perfectly square to the shot and left the blocker side open a bit.

https://gfycat.com/ViciousWastefulGreatdane
I dropped too early here but with how the game was going so far I didn't want another garbage goal. I actually got lucky with the pass that went out front, it hit a player skate and ended up hitting my knee block and staying between my pads.

https://gfycat.com/LoneAthleticKangaroo
Another flubbed shot to the blocker I fail to control, the rebound goes right to an opposing player and I screw up big time. I felt the puck was sliding 5-hole under my pad so I attempted to lift my leg in hopes of stopping it with my skate and you see the end result. This was a terrible decision and if I just stayed put and didn't overreact I probably would've saved it and covered it.

https://gfycat.com/CompleteFixedBat
Another bad rebound... but also another straight on shot with no real challenge.

https://gfycat.com/SpottedWarmheartedBird
Broken record but bad rebound. I should've pushed right instead of lunging but I was still in the "save" motion and the lunge was out of desperation... this team clearly had my number tonight.

So yes, 6-3 loss while up 3-1 after the 1st and 3-2 after the 2nd period.

• Like 4

I'm thinking of going with a deeper hollow. But, the question is, should I do it before the next league game, or wait for some pickup?

Also, the toecaps on my 3rd-hand goalie skates are pressing down on my the tops of my 2nd toes. Can they be punched upwards?

@ktang ALWAYS do a new hollow at a time where you can get used to it. Stick and puck (i.e. no scrimmages) and public sessions are when I try a new hollow. If the game isn't too important, then you could just try it then. But if it were me- I wouldn't do a new hollow in a game until you have a public session and a pickup or two under your belt.

• Like 1

Just got back from the orthopedist.  Verdict: arthritis.  My left knee is apparently older than the rest of me.  On top of that, according to the doc this has probably been going on since I was a young teenager, so 15+ years.  Steadily grinding away at cartilage...

Good news is, it can be mitigated by a number of different things (cortisone, lubricant, physical therapy) and the doctor says he definitely wants me playing hockey.  Got a scrip for PT and a cortisone shot today, feeling good about the prognosis. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Just got back from the orthopedist.  Verdict: arthritis.  My left knee is apparently older than the rest of me.  On top of that, according to the doc this has probably been going on since I was a young teenager, so 15+ years.  Steadily grinding away at cartilage...

Good news is, it can be mitigated by a number of different things (cortisone, lubricant, physical therapy) and the doctor says he definitely wants me playing hockey.  Got a scrip for PT and a cortisone shot today, feeling good about the prognosis. :)

My arthritis (diagnosed at 28) in my left hip has actually gotten better since I started playing hockey.  I'm doing things now I couldn't do 10 years ago :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, magnets said:

My arthritis (diagnosed at 28) in my left hip has actually gotten better since I started playing hockey.  I'm doing things now I couldn't do 10 years ago :)

Thanks, that's incredibly reassuring, to hear it from another player. :)

• Like 2

@magnets @badger_14 Good news for badger, and magnets has proven to me that you only get really bad when you STOP moving.

Sure, starting in goal at age 42 may sound extremely foolish, but I would hate to see how crappy life would have been had I stopped doing anything athletic after an MCL strain in 1989. Had I not been doing something atheletically over the last twenty years, I would have never been able to play goal. Playing goal, whilst not helping me shave my waistline, has helped me in so many other ways, and the enhancements are carrying over into other areas of life. I am more confident as a 44 year old than I was a 42 year old, for certain.

badger- listen to your docs, therapists, and your body. I can tell you're motivated. Just don't overdo it! I think you're going to be fine. 

magnets- obviously, your "keep on keepin' on" attitude has paid off in spades! 

• Like 1

@bunnyman666 sage advice.  I plan to get in touch with the physical therapist today.  I'm not always good at listening to my body, but I am trying to get better at that, and I have a lot of options for staying active, including hockey.  Which, hopefully, if the skaters get their asses in gear I will play on Saturday.  

The PT is right down the street from me and I've worked with him and his office before, so I know he's good.

Edited by badger_14
  • Like 1

Saw ortho again today. Doc says ankle isn’t healing because I’m not walking on it enough. Told him that only became bearable a few days ago. he would have none of it. Seeing him in another 3 weeks. He said he wants me walking out of the boot (just the brace) in 2. I asked for a note for a temp handicap permit. He said “3 weeks ago, sure. Now? No.” Awesome. FML. 

11 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Thanks, that's incredibly reassuring, to hear it from another player. :)

I do still struggle with a few things as the hip doesn't rotate as well as it should, but keeping moving, and pushing a little beyond comfortable (but not painful) when stretching seems to be helping.  

My butterfly pushes to the left are much better than my pushes to the right, but it's amazing what your body can adapt to if you're determined.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, magnets said:

I do still struggle with a few things as the hip doesn't rotate as well as it should, but keeping moving, and pushing a little beyond comfortable (but not painful) when stretching seems to be helping.  

My butterfly pushes to the left are much better than my pushes to the right, but it's amazing what your body can adapt to if you're determined.

I'm glad to hear it.  The pushes are the worst thing for me right now, too - the past few weeks, it's just been so painful to drive off the left leg, I often lose my balance and splat forward in the process.  Getting up has been pretty arduous as well, even when I rely on my right leg.  I am hopeful that PT will allow me to strengthen the muscles around the knee, and in the core, so I can compensate better.  I am actually able to move across the crease fairly quickly by shifting the weight through my hips while in a butterfly, but it's just not as efficient as actively pushing, and my teammates are crafty enough to notice every single one of my (many) weaknesses and exploit them.  (however, I am steadily getting better at reading their intentions, so I minimize unnecessary movement.  In theory, anyway.  In practice - well, practicing.)

• Like 1

Had a meh drop in. Lack of defense was making me let in a LOT of stupid goals.

So, what does a hygiene obsessed rabbit do after a meh drop in? I start to clean every single bit of my gear. CA went in the washer on wool cycle with no spin. I hosed down my breezers with a bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Knee guards, neck protector and everything else? In the washer with my underclothes and sweater. I use a foaming motorcycle helmet cleaner in my goalie helmet after every time I play. I think I smell better than the average goalie. Also- clean gear lasts longer, as it doesn't have sweat build up that starts to rot nylons and foams. Over-washing does the same, especially when you don't do it gently.  I am considering Beek's Reek Out detergent and the accompanying spray. Ever since I had to replace damned near EVERYTHING back in the old days from a pesky rash, I am OBSESSED with odour reduction. 

If there is a stick and puck Sunday, I will debut my royal blue Tackla breezers. I have a funny sweater to go with my new royal breezers, look for it on Instagram in the next week or so. But I will not debut them in a high energy drop in, no FREAKIN' way. 

My Warrior Ritual Pro pads are starting to break in or down in the table top boot area. I hope this ultimately doesn't affect rotation, as they rotate very well at the moment. I freaking LOVE these pads.

And the Step steel on the Vaughn skates? MAGIC.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2016 at 3:22 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@ktang ALWAYS do a new hollow at a time where you can get used to it. Stick and puck (i.e. no scrimmages) and public sessions are when I try a new hollow. If the game isn't too important, then you could just try it then. But if it were me- I wouldn't do a new hollow in a game until you have a public session and a pickup or two under your belt.

I needed to sharpen the skates anyway, so I "went for it" and got a 5/8" hollow (was at 1 1/4" before). Better backside recovery, got used to skating and stopping on it during warmups. I think the sharper hollow helped during the game itself.

I will probably go for 1/2" next time.

I just ordered some Bauer one95 goalie skates (used) on Kijiji. Hoping that they will fit better than what I'm using at the moment, Vapor XIX.

And, I have to get and try some foaming  motorcycle helmet cleaner.

• Like 2

Knee was much, much better this time around, but I am gun-shy about the assorted motions of goal-tending (mainly the half-butterfly, and standing back up) so things were more awkward than I would've liked.  But most things were much, much less painful than before.  Or not painful at all.  I have a PT eval scheduled for next Wednesday (woo), but I think what I will do after that is try and schedule a private goalie lesson.  Specifically, in addition to PT exercises, I want to see if I can work with an actual goalie coach (thus, familiar with the requisite pretzeling) who might be able to help me compensate on the ice.  @magnets, have you had any experience with that?

• Like 1