Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Got to play with my friend from the desert on Saturday. 

I felt like I've had better games, but also worse games, and I didn't really face a whole lot of shots.  (come on, guys, step it up.  this is pickup.)

My friend almost had a shot on me, and I probably should've warned him that some of the guys I skate with are quite good.  Probably.  But they're friendly people.

Since getting the flex-toes,  I've been playing with the looseness of my straps, testing them out at looser configurations.  Finding a new comfort zone.  My goalie-friend from medic school has offered to let me try out her spare Brian's pads, since we're about the same height.  We'll see if they fit in general, then I'll hopefully be able to give them a go at a pickup or something.  Not that I'll ever be able to afford such pads (not til graduating medic school, anyhow)... but it'll be fun to try.  She and I are planning to head up to a tournament in Montreal over Columbus Day weekend (not on the same team, of course) with some other folks we know, so I'm trying to get in more time at the gym and pool, and work on my hand-eye with the tennis ball so as not to make a fool of myself.  Still have 4 lessons left as well.

59 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Everyone goes through a rough stretch every now and then.  Just ride it out and stick with it...

Yeah... I'm just not liking where my mindset is at. It's seriously like they score every time they get into our end clean, which is rare thanks to our pretty good D and good backchecking. Which is why the whole time I have it in my head that I hope the D doesn't let them get to the net or its a sure goal. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 9:47 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Confidence is gone. At a point where I hope they don’t get any shots because I doubt I’ll make the save.

And another game of the same thing. 6 goals against. Couldn’t catch the puck. I think there were three goals that I didn’t catch cleanly and ended up in the net. 

The last month or or so has been pretty good for me.  I've been getting to the rink 45 mins before game time, cracking open a 500 ml  can of Elephant Carlsberg (7.2%) and that's taken the edge off and I feel like I can just focus on stopping the puck.

My team still aren't scoring much, but i'm now giving them a chance to win or at least keep it close and that's massive for my confidence.

I'm not getting beat from between the faceoff dot and the boards anymore thanks to the angle videos, but still get beat from shots from about 10 ft when its a 1v1. They seem to be going blocker side (either under it or over it,  I can't tell) or down low close to the post, I think my butterfly is very narrow when I drop and then I kick out depending what side the puck goes.  Any good videos to help with dropping down and flaring out at the same time?

Of the 9 goals against in the past 4 games 4 of them have been deflections and 3 of those are off my own team no matter how much I tell them to try and not get in the way. So that's pretty frustrating.  When the puck gets shot from hash marks back in the middle of the Ice, I have a hard time seeing anything with all the traffic infront.   I'm 6'5  so should I be using that height to peek over and drop when its shot, or should I be down low trying to look around peoples legs/hips?

Last 4 games stats, some busy games there too!

udqOoKB.jpg

I've gone on GGSU and bought some new gloves (Bauer 1S)  and chest pads (XL CCM Premier Pro) so I'll have these for next season.  Because its all about how much net you can take up eh? haha

Edited by rusty_black

Pro tip: if your opponent is wearing a high school practice jersey, he probably does not belong in D-level.  If he is wearing socks with stirrups on them - run, do not walk, to the nearest exit.  This man has not been a novice since before you were born, and will not be merciful.

I finally played after a goddamn month long absence, and actually played pretty decently.  It was probably mostly low C with a scattering of very novice and very not novice players.  It's not as bad as some of the ones I've been to.  It's hard to judge really, because it seems like there's a bigger gap between C and B than D and C.  At any rate, I played respectably, they didn't swap us (the goalies) and I'm getting antsy about getting in ice time before I go to Montreal for the tournament.

20 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

That is a brutal record. Is that on you more so on the team or vice versa?

A bit of both. We routinely have 6 or 7 skaters this season. Our best defenceman left the team after last season and now we're generally running with two of the three D-men being from the division below us (rookie aka D6) so while they're pretty skilled (to be able to move up), they also make mistakes and don't have a ton of experience (so a lack of hockey sense). Things like reading the play in the offensive zone and knowing when they need to start backing off, or how to handle pressure in their own end is something they haven't yet developed. I also noticed that since we also have 3 guys that play forward that were also in rookie league within the last 12 months, there is absolutely no cycle. Everyone tries to either walk in off the side boards and deke people to get a shot, or just throw it towards the net. No passing. The D-men do the same. They get the puck and try to step around their man to get a closer shot, and nobody knows to draw back to cover them.

So that's the rest of the team. For me, I don't think I've really changed that much but frustration level has definitely been increasing which isn't helping. I have had a really bad couple games as well. One a few weeks ago where I couldn't even catch a simple shot. I'd end up bobbling it every time. It was like my timing was off, or something. 

So overall there's a lot of factors in play. I'm a career GAA of almost 5, so that's not good. But when the other teams are given breakaways or grade-A scoring chances that can become bloated also. There was a time when our team was so good with the cycle and overall skill that even if I was struggling we could just outscore them 7-5 or whatever, but those days are gone. We've had about 90% roster turnover since I joined the team two years ago, with pretty much all the new faces being from the rookie league below (as in, guys who had literally never picked up a stick before until then). The other teams get their players from the divisions ABOVE ours. We add newbies, and they add guys who immediately step in as their best player. The league is super lopsided right now. Top team is 10-1. 

So I'm definitely not playing as well as I need to be, but neither is the team as a whole either. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

A bit of both. We routinely have 6 or 7 skaters this season. Our best defenceman left the team after last season and now we're generally running with two of the three D-men being from the division below us (rookie aka D6) so while they're pretty skilled (to be able to move up), they also make mistakes and don't have a ton of experience (so a lack of hockey sense). Things like reading the play in the offensive zone and knowing when they need to start backing off, or how to handle pressure in their own end is something they haven't yet developed. I also noticed that since we also have 3 guys that play forward that were also in rookie league within the last 12 months, there is absolutely no cycle. Everyone tries to either walk in off the side boards and deke people to get a shot, or just throw it towards the net. No passing. The D-men do the same. They get the puck and try to step around their man to get a closer shot, and nobody knows to draw back to cover them.

So that's the rest of the team. For me, I don't think I've really changed that much but frustration level has definitely been increasing which isn't helping. I have had a really bad couple games as well. One a few weeks ago where I couldn't even catch a simple shot. I'd end up bobbling it every time. It was like my timing was off, or something. 

So overall there's a lot of factors in play. I'm a career GAA of almost 5, so that's not good. But when the other teams are given breakaways or grade-A scoring chances that can become bloated also. There was a time when our team was so good with the cycle and overall skill that even if I was struggling we could just outscore them 7-5 or whatever, but those days are gone. We've had about 90% roster turnover since I joined the team two years ago, with pretty much all the new faces being from the rookie league below (as in, guys who had literally never picked up a stick before until then). The other teams get their players from the divisions ABOVE ours. We add newbies, and they add guys who immediately step in as their best player. The league is super lopsided right now. Top team is 10-1. 

So I'm definitely not playing as well as I need to be, but neither is the team as a whole either. 

That may be the biggest issue right there haha. Unless every player who shows up is either a stud and/or a ringer, you, the goalie, will automatically be called on to do more than you really should. The perfect roster number for beer league is 10 skaters and one kicker (slang name I picked in college for "goalie":cool:). Even with that number, you'd need at least 7 players who know what they are doing. The only way you should be blamed is if you are letting in goals from center ice haha. I think you just have a less than fortunate manifesting itself every game. Has nothing to do with the person in the defending crease.

16 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

That may be the biggest issue right there haha. Unless every player who shows up is either a stud and/or a ringer, you, the goalie, will automatically be called on to do more than you really should. The perfect roster number for beer league is 10 skaters and one kicker (slang name I picked in college for "goalie":cool:). Even with that number, you'd need at least 7 players who know what they are doing. The only way you should be blamed is if you are letting in goals from center ice haha. I think you just have a less than fortunate manifesting itself every game. Has nothing to do with the person in the defending crease.

You're spot on. Getting 6-7 is one thing, but even with 10 we still have 4-5 who have been playing hockey for less than two years. That (and the lack of experience that comes with it) is our biggest problem, other than me and my play. 

• Like 2

Long time no post hope this thread ain't dead. Looks like the usual suspects in this thread were alive and well as of late September. 

Got the big BHL call-up a few weeks ago to go sub without strapping on the pillows for six months and came away with a big 3-1 W. Went to drop - in last week and played just for the joy of hockey. Got lit up because I gave it zero effort and had a ton of fun. Brought out a bunch of the retro moves - pad stack, Hasek roll, CuJo splits, old-school standup stance. I also skated the puck end to end and managed a wrap-around attempt that got stuffed. Capped the day off trying to Heisman pose my way through center ice with the puck in my glove when I was ingloriously body checked by one of my friends. 

Skating out in my league this season though so I feel like kind of a traitor. 

Yours in mismatched equipment inappropriate VH goodness, 

Flop 

Bl6svqh.jpg

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2017 at 12:48 AM, Flop_N_Pray said:

Yours in mismatched equipment inappropriate VH goodness, 

Flop 

Bl6svqh.jpg

Hey, man, mismatched or not, you're covered a goodly chunk of the net there!  :)

Things have actually been going pretty well with hockey.  I have a nice routine down at the gym (and elsewhere) practicing hand-eye with a tennis ball and it's been very helpful.  My whole body is still pretty slow, but I track the play much better, so until I shed another (x) pounds and get literally lighter, one does what one can. 

Yesterday was a good game for the most part - it's pickup, we played for like an hour and a half, I let in a tolerable number of goals for pickup (like 7 or 8?) - excepting near the end. 

So I've just covered a shot.  Blocked it with my pad and smothered it under my glove.  The puck is covered, it is going nowhere, I am in partial tetris position at the post.  This one player, though, keeps jamming at my hand.  My teammates are trying to get him to stop (bless them) but it's going on forever with no end in sight. Since I really like my hand, I go to poke this guy with my stick, and accidentally prod him in the crotch.  Not very hard, but accidentally pegging anybody in the crotch (male or female really) isn't good, and I take full ownership of that.  However, his immediate response was to cross-check me in the head.  Hard.  Then skate off to the bench and bitch to everyone about what I did.  I am dizzy at this point, but it's near the end of the game so whatever. 

I apologized to him after the game, of course.  He did not really apologize to me (there was a "sorry if I hit you", which is bull, because he absolutely hit me), so I'm a little salty about that.

But my play was good, so I feel okay about that at least.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 8:12 AM, badger_14 said:

Things have actually been going pretty well with hockey.  I have a nice routine down at the gym (and elsewhere) practicing hand-eye with a tennis ball and it's been very helpful.  My whole body is still pretty slow, but I track the play much better, so until I shed another (x) pounds and get literally lighter, one does what one can. 

Yesterday was a good game for the most part - it's pickup, we played for like an hour and a half, I let in a tolerable number of goals for pickup (like 7 or 8?) - excepting near the end. 

So I've just covered a shot.  Blocked it with my pad and smothered it under my glove.  The puck is covered, it is going nowhere, I am in partial tetris position at the post.  This one player, though, keeps jamming at my hand.  My teammates are trying to get him to stop (bless them) but it's going on forever with no end in sight. Since I really like my hand, I go to poke this guy with my stick, and accidentally prod him in the crotch.  Not very hard, but accidentally pegging anybody in the crotch (male or female really) isn't good, and I take full ownership of that.  However, his immediate response was to cross-check me in the head.  Hard.  Then skate off to the bench and bitch to everyone about what I did.  I am dizzy at this point, but it's near the end of the game so whatever. 

I apologized to him after the game, of course.  He did not really apologize to me (there was a "sorry if I hit you", which is bull, because he absolutely hit me), so I'm a little salty about that.

If I'm digging at a goalie's glove at pickup I should not be surprised by a crotch shot in return. There are self-righteous hot head jerks in every walk of life, and pickup hockey certainly has its fair share. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

Anyone whacking away at a covered puck at a pickup with no refs is a douche.

Hell, I expect to take a push / shove or two or whatever when I try stuff like that (before the whistle) in a regular adult league game with refs.  And when that happens, I'll just say "good save" or whatever and skate away.

And if someone cross checked my goalie in the head on purpose the absolute best he could expect from me would be for me to knock him on his ass.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Davideo said:

If I'm digging at a goalie's glove at pickup I should not be surprised by a crotch shot in return. There are self-righteous hot head jerks in every walk of life, and pickup hockey certainly has its fair share. 

I wouldn't say hot head, per se. He's not a very good player (novice/D), which is fine, but he sort of tends to "make up for" the lack of skill/speed by playing, uh, intensely. Elbow-y. As a goalie I'll roll with a few pokes at the glove but there's a limit.  I just wanted him to go away, and he had two other guys trying to stop him. 

Four days on and my neck and head still hurt. Still kinda salty. Pretty sure my classmate (also a goalie) is going to come drop the gloves on him.

Howdy,

1 hour ago, badger_14 said:

I wouldn't say hot head, per se. He's not a very good player (novice/D), which is fine, but he sort of tends to "make up for" the lack of skill/speed by playing, uh, intensely. Elbow-y. As a goalie I'll roll with a few pokes at the glove but there's a limit.  I just wanted him to go away, and he had two other guys trying to stop him. 

Four days on and my neck and head still hurt. Still kinda salty. Pretty sure my classmate (also a goalie) is going to come drop the gloves on him.

It doesn't make it ok in a pickup (because WTF dude?) but I will say as a novice guy that in a normal game I was surprised to learn that digging away for the puck under the goalie and all, before the whistle, was still illegal per the rules and that while its perhaps expected in various situations, its also expected that you'll get an earful / a shot for it.  I mention it just because I truly didn't know that and maybe if the guy is new he doesn't know either?

Mark

On 12/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, badger_14 said:

Yeah, that's not cool at all. I wouldn't have apologized and had I not been dizzy like you were, I would've used my stick to yank his feet out from under him and beat the crap out of him. What that guy did is not cool. ESPECIALLY in a pickup game.... like that's common sense.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:14 AM, sparky1 said:

Yeah, that's not cool at all. I wouldn't have apologized and had I not been dizzy like you were, I would've used my stick to yank his feet out from under him and beat the crap out of him. What that guy did is not cool. ESPECIALLY in a pickup game.... like that's common sense.

I'm very glad you're not in our leagues. You would not last. If nothing else, your team would be asking you to not come back. 

Goalies have done training with strobe lights.  Smith gave info on this in the hockey news in the 80's 

Also there has to be an innate instinct to get out of the way of something coming at you , then there is no I supposed to stop this  . Just the time it takes to do that has to be a challenge.   

I don't  know what you are up against as far as shots or stick handling .  Instead of doing a doing a double butterfly flop do single legs until you get more limber and build up the strength from going from the butterfly to your skates in one motion  . In my opinion if the butterfly isn't done pretty darn good,  you are vulnerable on the five going down ,and as you are down ,not to mention the gewels . 

When I am working with a goaltender   : I will shot so they are going to stop it . Get him or her to move ,feel the contact. Build there confidence  I'm looking at there eyes for a flinch and build that confidence.   Bring him or her out and purposely shoot a little wide so I'm hitting the post if they miss . The sound tells them location in the net  .. depending on there pad quality I will heat up the shot some .  Shooting so they can't miss  . Heat it up a little more and bring the shot on net  . You can see the difference the difference with the glove and the blocker in one practice  . I give them a couple shots that give them a sting .  

training : I suggest Roman chairs, stretch ,groin,hips, for the hips you need a trainer or friend to ease pressure on . Sitting feet together sole to sole as close to the body as possible, eventually you want your knees to be on the floor,   . Then stretch the outer hip work on that range of motion.  Look up stretching for this.      Stretch your spine   .