Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

Why would I not start out with a combo?

For those of you who have played both a helmet and cage and a modern mask, why would you not go with a combo? Any experience as to why you would go combo over modern mask or the other way around? Not trying to pick fights here, but if I were to go "combo" over a modern mask, my cage is a six month old Warwick HM-30. Please give experience if you have done BOTH.

Please note that I have NEVER played goalie on ice, only on street many years back. Having the testicular fortitude to play goal is on my bucket list.

I truly can't imagine why anyone would do that unless they've been doing it for 20 years already and are comfortable with it.

I only ask because that what goalies used when I was young. The mask was banned back in those days. I've seen masks get knocked off of the head even in pick up games. Maybe I can attach a chin strap?

Oddly enough, the last time I tinkered with playing goal, I had a Badger Elite. Never used it, btw. I sold it 'cos I needed the cash. At that point, I had only been off of skates for a couple of years. By all means if consensus is to use a mask, and if someone has a story about a combo causing harm, I will invest in a mask.

Found the answer:

Modern player helmets are not sturdy enough, compared to the bricks that the Cooper SK2000 or the old Jofa helmets were, plus the Cooper SK2000 was made a bit more for goal because of the ridges on top. I had an SK2000, and I do remember how remarkably heavy it was. Foams were quite a bit heavier back in the old days, as well, in player helmets. If I were to do a combo, I would need one of the modern Warwick or Olympia Composites fibreglass or carbon fibre versions of the Cooper or Jofa goal-suitable helmets. An old SK2000 is likely to be pretty wonky, most examples being over 25 years old at the latest.

Unless I wanted to have even more screws loose than I already do, I will wear a mask.

Haha yes, unless you a) want to be less protected or b) look silly, you should probably just stick to a modern mask ;)

Haha yes, unless you a) want to be less protected or b) look silly, you should probably just stick to a modern mask ;)

Unless I have moves like Osgood, Tretiak, or Hasek, don't get the combo. Those moves will never come for me...

i personally hated wearing a combo when i was younger but since they were cheaper it was the way to go, unofruntatlye it wasnt like a osgood combo, it was a hasek style combo and that cage suuuuuuuuuucked. I recently had to wear one as a sub for a team, and had to borrow gear since i was just hanging out and their goalie went down, it was scary as crap, never again.

Get a nice fitting mask, i'm using a Sportmask Ricochet XL

Yeah- I'm thinking buy a mid-top end used mask and see what I think. I like the looks of the Sportmask Mage, myself. Let's see if I last longer than one stick and puck for now...

As a card carrying CWD (combo-wearing dork) I feel it is my obligation to speak up.

First things first. In terms of protection, you are almost certainly better off wearing a decent fiberglass (or better) mask than, say, an SK2000. There are some who would disagree with me on this, though (see the epic Combo thread on the GSBB).

THAT BEING SAID...for some, the better visibility and lighter weight of the combo can be a significant factor in deciding which to use. Personally, I used them because of fit reasons as well.

If you think you'd prefer using a combo, there are options to make it a bit tougher. Custom Made Masks has made fiberglass front pieces for SK2000s (so you would use the back section off of a standard SK, and the front would be a fiberglass shell) as well as a full fiberglass combo option (which is what I've been using the past few years).

As a card carrying CWD (combo-wearing dork) I feel it is my obligation to speak up.

First things first. In terms of protection, you are almost certainly better off wearing a decent fiberglass (or better) mask than, say, an SK2000. There are some who would disagree with me on this, though (see the epic Combo thread on the GSBB).

THAT BEING SAID...for some, the better visibility and lighter weight of the combo can be a significant factor in deciding which to use. Personally, I used them because of fit reasons as well.

If you think you'd prefer using a combo, there are options to make it a bit tougher. Custom Made Masks has made fiberglass front pieces for SK2000s (so you would use the back section off of a standard SK, and the front would be a fiberglass shell) as well as a full fiberglass combo option (which is what I've been using the past few years).

link for the sk2000 front?

I remembered seeing this a month or so ago - might be worth seeing if he still has any. Shawn/kicksave is good people.

I know at one point a buddy of mine started making similar shells as Shawn started to wind down his production of them, I can ask him what hes got.

Just for the hell of it, here is the initial review I did for my setup back in '09. Looks like the pics no longer work, sadly.

Great review. Wish there were pix...

If you could, ask your buddy.

I haven't quite decided what to do. I may even roll my own, as I used to build composite bicycles. I will say that I have never built strictly for strength before, as I would build everything to be *just* strong enough for the weight of the rider. The testing jig would be fun to build for the mask!!!! Building a tank of a helmet could be fun. I just don't have everything I need to build composites these days (had to sell my bagger and other equipment as part of the agreement when I sold my business and designs), so it may cost me more to build than to buy one already made. I know that I would probably do uni-directional CF with no pretty weave layer.

In all likeliness it will cost you more to make one than to buy one - it certainly doesn't stop people from doing it, and the guy I mentioned went from being a curious hobbyist with no background or relate-able skill and ended up making a pretty solid line of masks (I sent him a message, it has been a few years since we spoke and I'm not sure if he is still in the mask biz at all, truth be told).

Not to keep sending traffic off this site to another, but there really isn't a substitute for threads like this when it comes to mask knowledge. Happy reading :P

Crikey- that is a lot of reading!!!!

Until I invested in a proper bagging system, I had lots of alternate methods of compaction, not limited to or excluding sandbags, etc. I also used Bondo as my first moulds for making Campy Delta brake covers!!! Those were the days...

Not a lot of stuff I didn't know already, but what a great read for the hobbyist, which is where I started from and ended up doing a full-on prototyping business.

I am very tempted to roll my own...

Crikey- that is a lot of reading!!!!

Until I invested in a proper bagging system, I had lots of alternate methods of compaction, not limited to or excluding sandbags, etc. I also used Bondo as my first moulds for making Campy Delta brake covers!!! Those were the days...

Not a lot of stuff I didn't know already, but what a great read for the hobbyist, which is where I started from and ended up doing a full-on prototyping business.

I am very tempted to roll my own...

It is a bit of a read, and like you said - nothing groundbreaking if you have a knowledge of doing any kind of fiber/composite forming. It does do a lot to demystify mask construction, and any reasonable person might start to wonder about what they are paying for sometimes :ph34r:

It is a bit of a read, and like you said - nothing groundbreaking if you have a knowledge of doing any kind of fiber/composite forming. It does do a lot to demystify mask construction, and any reasonable person might start to wonder about what they are paying for sometimes :ph34r:

I hope I did not devalue the thread- it was bloody awesome and inviting to the noobie.

Between all of the people who knew anything- it does make you wonder what you are actually buying.

No doubt! It's kinda scary what passes as "high tech". I bet some don't even use directional fibres. And when I found out that some masks are made of polycarbonate, that made me shudder...

Two years on, I started in a Mage and ended up in a Kustom Composites SK2000 clone and generally haven't been happier. I have had two causes for me to like the helmet better than a masque any day, including being run and a side impact with a clearing attempt. Protection has not been an issue. In the end- I am a confirmed member of the combo club.