Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
defence18

Sharpening in Chicago Western 'Burbs

Hey all, I'm looking for a place to get my skates done. I worked in an LHS with Darkstar50 in NJ for 5 years before moving out to Aurora. I've got a super shallow ROH and am looking for the best sharpening here. I'd actually love it if someone knew of a place that'd let me jump on their machine for a few minutes, but at the very least, I need a great sharpener. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance for it. TIA

If anybody can help out I would really appreciate it. To any sharpeners who have ever been at the mercy of someone else sharpening your skates, you can understand why he is looking for a reliable shop for this. Dan was one of my best sharpeners and could step in to do elite figure skate blades as well. There must be some place in suburban Chicago that players here have as their go to skate sharpening shop. At this point, tell us where not to go!!

Josh at B & R at fox valley does a good job. Also at FVIA there is a guy named Grumpy that works for the rink and has his own sharpener. He has been an equipment manager for several Jr/ college teams and he does a good job too but he doesn't have a FBV machine which is why I use B and R.

Josh at B & R at fox valley does a good job. Also at FVIA there is a guy named Grumpy that works for the rink and has his own sharpener. He has been an equipment manager for several Jr/ college teams and he does a good job too but he doesn't have a FBV machine which is why I use B and R.

Pretty positive you aren't getting FBV. They do not do business with Blackstone.

I don't know Chicago all that well so am not sure where our stores are in relation to where you are. But I can tell you right off the bat that we wouldn't allow you to jump on.

You are right JR they do not have a FBV machine, it is the other one that is similar but I forget the name. I have been playing hockey a long time but never payed much attention to the equipment details until I found this site.

Total hockey in Downers Grove is a great store and I buy lots of equipment from them but have found the sharpening to be inconsistent. It is also a lot further from Aurora.

Downer's isn't too far for me to drive if the sharpening was worth it. Wasn't expecting a big chain to let me jump on, but I thought I'd mention it in case a sympathetic manager of a LHS was reading. Truth be told, I've always valued the customer service of a true local shop anyway. Plus, we all know that once you start sharpening, you never want anyone else to touch your skates.

Edited by defence18
  • Like 1

I can understand that.

Unfortunately I only know our Market Leader for our TH Tech department (yes, we have a services department that is dedicated to upholding service standards - I'm the leader in MI) in Chicago. He's based in our Elmhurst store.

Downer's isn't too far for me to drive if the sharpening was worth it. Wasn't expecting a big chain to let me jump on, but I thought I'd mention it in case a sympathetic manager of a LHS was reading. Truth be told, I've always valued the customer service of a true local shop anyway. Plus, we all know that once you start sharpening, you never want anyone else to touch your skates.

Time to get yourself a smaller sharpener the like X01. That's what I did. I just CANT let someone else sharpen my skates at this point. On top of potentially getting a bad job, its the mind games that go into it as well.

Zach

I have essentially given up trying to find a good sharpener in the western burbs (I live in Downers, work in Palatine, and Play in Aurora). I gave up on FBV a while ago because the places to sharpen that are most convenient for me don't have it, and the people that are good (either FBV or the Blademaster fake FBV or ROH) are never there when I need a sharpening it seems. Though I may go back and give TH another try now that I found out JR works there and helped develop their sharpening standards.

I have a friend who works at TH in Elmhurst, but he doesn't sharpen unfortunately.

Soooo... defense18, it sounds like you should buy an X01 or X02 and you should let me pay you to put a good sharpening on my skates. Whaddaya say? lol

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an X01 myself actually. I've never sharpened before but I worked in a machine shop for a lot of years so i understand the basic principles involved.

Is 'grumpy' the bigger guy who usually wears a backwards hat who is there basically all the time? i didn't know he sharpens (never really talked to the dude except just to say hi or bye or to check out the locker room.

Edited by Nealoc187

Nealloc

No that isn't Gumpy that you are talking about. About the same age but Grumpy doesn't work the desk. Ask at the front desk and they will track him down though. He only does traditional ROH.

Bumping this back up. Used to go to Matt at the PH in Elmhurst, but they’ve moved to an automatic machine and don’t even have the old sharpener anymore. Wondering if anyone knows of any good shop for normal sharpening and for a profiling in the area - fox valley is far for me. Will probably end up going to Fred’s up north, just because I usually end up that direction for other life events once a month or so, but wondering if there is anything closer.