Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tburns517

Easton Mako compared to M5 Shin Pads

I am set on either getting the Easton Mako or the Mako M5 shin pads. My question is whether to spend the extra $40 and get one of Easton's top shin pads, or settle for their lower model, the M5, which isn't far behind. Take a look at the comparison chart here. There isn't much of a difference other than the calf wrap material, shell type, and the weight. I'm surprised the M5's weigh a little less. I also noticed in this Ice Warehouse video that the liner of the M5 seems to be a bit different than what Total Hockey shows in the picture on their website. What are your thoughts? I know the price difference isn't much, but when you're buying gear it starts to add up.

I have the Makos, and of course I looked at the lower models too when I was in the store, and decided it was worth the extra. The shell seemed to fit me differently at the higher end, and I wanted the calf wrap protection of the higher model too. Also, if I recall, I liked the liner better of the top end.

I agree I have the makos and love them. The liner is very nice and flex of the pad was just amazing

That was a big difference for me, the top end pads seemed to have a lot more knee flex, which I'd never actually seen on any other pad before.

I have the Makos, and of course I looked at the lower models too when I was in the store, and decided it was worth the extra. The shell seemed to fit me differently at the higher end, and I wanted the calf wrap protection of the higher model too. Also, if I recall, I liked the liner better of the top end.

you wear mako skates as well? How do you like the fit of both models together?

you wear mako skates as well? How do you like the fit of both models together?

Having both doesn't really make any difference. I actually didn't plan on buying the Mako shins until I got to the store and found out how comfortable and well-fitting they were.

OptimusReim, do you wear your shins over or under the skate tongue? I've always worn my older shin pads under because they are a little too short for me, but I'd like to try it the other way when I get the Mako pads.

OptimusReim, do you wear your shins over or under the skate tongue? I've always worn my older shin pads under because they are a little too short for me, but I'd like to try it the other way when I get the Mako pads.

Used to be under, but recently I switched to over for no real reason and I think I actually like it better.

Shin over skates puts less stress on the tongue pushing down on the foot,hence better fitting skate for those like me who have trouble finding the right fit.

Shin over skates puts less stress on the tongue pushing down on the foot,hence better fitting skate for those like me who have trouble finding the right fit.

I think that was part of it. You can definitely feel the crease where your tongues are folded over on your shin. Feels much better with shins over. I think it looks better too, tbh.