Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Patrick Kane shows up at Men's League game (TSN)

Personally, I'd get a kick out of seeing that, even if I was on the opposing team. I've played against AHL, FHL, semi-pros, D1 players, etc., but never seen an NHL'er, let alone one of the highest profile players in the game today show up to a men's league game.

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?What%2bhappens%2bwhen%2bPatrick%2bKane%2bshows%2bup%2bfor%2byour%2bmen%27s%2bteam%253f&id=457711

I didn't get to play with him but Chris Chelios had men's league games after our rentals back when he was in Chicago. I heard that some big 6' 4" tough guy would usually try to fight him at some point and Chelios would absolutely destroy the guys who wouldn't leave him alone. Funny stuff.

I can't even imagine what a guy like Kane must be able to do in a Mens League. I've played in some NHL Alumni games, with some guys who had pretty decent NHL careers who now 5-10, even 15-20 years removed from their prime still think and play at such a high level. I've also been on the ice with OHL, AHL and NCAA players and they are so head and shoulders about everyone else. An elite NHLer would have my head spinning!

That article has been updated since I saw it first. Not a typical mens league of dusters and benders. Lots of Pro/NCAA talent. But even still, someone of Kane's stature would take the cake.

Had Jim Campbell (NHL/AHL) and Frank (the animal) Bialowas show up for one of our men's league team games 5-6 years ago. It was a blast.

That article has been updated since I saw it first. Not a typical mens league of dusters and benders. Lots of Pro/NCAA talent. But even still, someone of Kane's stature would take the cake.

Yeah, just saw that. No slouch of a league/team/division, but Kane's definitely one of the top players in the world.

Max Afinogenov showed up to a game in Birmingham, AL a few years back when he was with the Thrashes. He was only going 1/4 speed and just dominating. He switched teams half way thru the game to even it up.

Watch at about :40 in. Unreal.

vp4yB3.gif

This too..

qXx5UT.gif

I played in a roller hockey league in Mamaroneck, NY in the mid-90's. Got to the rink a little early and looked out on the rink to see Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Zubov playing on an A division team.

Zubov wasn't doing much, but Kovalev was incredible, making some moves that I never thought were possible on rollerblades.

I didn't get to play with him but Chris Chelios had men's league games after our rentals back when he was in Chicago. I heard that some big 6' 4" tough guy would usually try to fight him at some point and Chelios would absolutely destroy the guys who wouldn't leave him alone. Funny stuff.

During the 94-95 strike a lot of the Hawks would skate at 7 Bridges in Darien/Woodridge area. JR, Chelly, Belfour. They had a standing ice slot that was after a men's rat time in the afternoon. It was common for them to ask guys to stay and skate with them when they didn't have enough pros to fill out a full game.

The NHL guys would skate out of position, Belfour would play D, Chelly center, JR would play D.

During the 2013 stoppage there was a skate in Oak Park that the Hawks would practice at. No duffers allowed. I have a couple pics somewhere of them in their NHLPA jerseys.

EF0A6F32-14B3-430B-8207-74E1E49C5381.png458F24F6-9F8A-447D-B7EF-B314CDED90EB.png