Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlexanderSebastian

Alkali RPD Baking at home... Help?

Hey hey..

So i just picked up a pair of alkali RPD Shiftys and was wondering if anyone had any experience Baking these at home?

Unfortunately I cannot find a skate shop near me that has a bake oven, So im forced to do it DIY style....

I watched the video alkali made where they use their proper oven. I just wanted to know if their is anything i should be careful of using a normal conventional oven.

Just paranoid I will damage the skate or wheels.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.!

Why don't you call / email Alkali and have them walk you through it? If your skates can be baked, then 300 degrees, turn off oven, insert skates, let cool down for ten minutes, take out skates, put on (snugg but not too tight) and walk around in them. You want to mold them to your foot. Leave alone for 24 hours. Some guys use a heat gun and work on problem areas after the first few skates. But call Alkali - I am sure Joe or Justin wouldn't mind walking you through some of this. G'luck

I keep my wheels ons usually btw - ( I have a spare set of outdoors that I give zero F&cks about in case the bearings gets destroyed in 300 degree heat).

edit - if you do this stoned DO NOT FORGET THE MITTENS ...I FORGOT TO PUT ON THE MITTENS ONCE.. BAD IDEA.

We don't really offer in home recommendations, since a regular oven does not heat a skate properly. I will say that 300 degrees is way to hot. Keep the oven under 190 degrees. If you have a convection oven, you can use that.

If they are anything like CA9 with mostly carbon components, which I assume they are, I don't think "breaking them in" old school is a viable option.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I went for a skate today indoors for the first time and was all over the place. Don't get me wrong, the skates are great, i had no heal lift what so ever (maybe just a little).

My main issue is i have narrow ankles and i have a lot of horizontal movements on the ankle.

I am really impressed with these skates but I def need to bake em to get best results cus of my ankles.

ts crazy how much skates have improved since the last tiime i played..

Gonna Try the oven tomorrow. Cheers

I baked my CA4 in a convection oven at 175 degrees. I baked according to the youtube video and wore them for the prescribed amount of time. I, like you, have narrow ankles/heels, except with a super-wide forefoot. I have to say the Alkalai are some of the easiest to heat form boots I have EVER dealt with.

Use common sense and you should be fine. Remember that you are not really baking them; otherwise, you would have a pool of melted plastic.

Edit: removed picture.. Sorry i thought i would be able to post a link to a image without it auto inserting into forum. will resize.

Yeah Bunny, The skates are awesome.. Waiting to hear back from alkali about how to get my chasis aligned correctly, then will be baking them.. (I mean moderately heating them...) Don't want to get my whole house high off the fumes ;)