Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Virginia Tech STAR rating system being developed for hockey helmets

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-krown-hockey-helmets.html Hockey Monkey is certainly capitalizing on this.

Also, I'm pretty sure I checked the site right after the study came out to see if they were even still available, and the price was 60 something, now they're charging $80. I might be misremembering, but I don't think I am.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-krown-hockey-helmets.html Hockey Monkey is certainly capitalizing on this.

Also, I'm pretty sure I checked the site right after the study came out to see if they were even still available, and the price was 60 something, now they're charging $80. I might be misremembering, but I don't think I am.

Smart move on their part.

Yeah, when Bauer sees that the REAKT got one star they'll probably decide to bump the cost up to $400 for their helmets... Based on previous cost increases and the introduction of space age foams, I predict by 2019 Bauer helmets will cost $8,000 dollars and will get two stars. You'll still be able to get a one star VN lined helmet for $60.

All this article tells me is that we're not far off from custom fitted helmets. I've been saying for years how ridiculous it is for teams to have one helmet for an entire roster. Never made sense to me

• Like 3

All this article tells me is that we're not far off from custom fitted helmets. I've been saying for years how ridiculous it is for teams to have one helmet for an entire roster. Never made sense to me

We haven't done that for years now. Coach wanted it as it looked good. I explained how most kids couldn't wear just any helmet had him try on one he wanted to see the kids wear and didn't fit by a long shot. Hence the kids got what fitted best and I checked all the fits. Our Jr and Midget teams have only lost 3 players to concussions in 5 years now. (Meaning there issues from our season and prior made them have to quit hockey)

th_photo%201_zpsoiokjmah.jpg

My Cooper SK20 from the early 70s. Better than a 1 star helmet today.

th_photo%202_zpsesntfhyg.jpg This Cooper Weeks SK 1 is also better than any 1 star helmet today.

• Like 3

I actually picked up a Krown since my Mission Inhaler was a little too big and figured what the hell, if it got a good rating at least it isn't shit.

At the time it was $60 and there was a 20% off coupon so I got the helmet for like $45. Can't really complain, only thing that sucked was they didn't have it in White so another Black helmet...

The krown was actually what I was going to buy when they came out because it was the first helmet that I ever found comfortable. Then I tried on a re-akt and it surprisingly felt great as well (I hadn't bothered at first since I've never found another Bauer helmet that was comfortable.. I was previously in a CCM V10)

So, equal comfort and roughly the same price at the time, I grabbed the re-akt because I thought it was nicer looking (all other things equal, might as well get the nicer looking one)

I'm not sure it's worth the money to switch, even if they do both fit me equally well.

th_photo%201_zpsoiokjmah.jpg

My Cooper SK20 from the early 70s. Better than a 1 star helmet today.

th_photo%202_zpsesntfhyg.jpg This Cooper Weeks SK 1 is also better than any 1 star helmet today.

SK20 I had that one with the plastic mouth guard piece and no cage or visor!! Awesome helmet!

• Like 1

have krown lte now. i thought it slipped sometimes when ive got checked. my head seems really bigger with this helmet.

and was thinking buying new helmet. but is this helmet the one of best helmets..?

I did the same thing. That's how I remember it.

Www.nogginsport.com

Thoughts?

Would this change the helmet you buy?

Would this have impacted the study data?

One would think the gel pads would alter the fit of the helmet. Given that everyone seems to agrees that fit is probably the single most important element in purchasing a helmet, altering your helmet size/fit would be problematic, for me at least.

The Noggin skull cap was tested using the Severity Index, which is just another name for a drop test. They claim up to "38 percent less impact" for hockey helmets, 22% for football, and 85% for baseball helmets. The test is designed, as many have pointed out, to ensure that the helmet essentially is able to prevent a skull fracture. And that's it, no more no less.

I would buy a helmet that fit my head.

One would think the gel pads would alter the fit of the helmet. Given that everyone seems to agrees that fit is probably the single most important element in purchasing a helmet, altering your helmet size/fit would be problematic, for me at least.

The Noggin skull cap was tested using the Severity Index, which is just another name for a drop test. They claim up to "38 percent less impact" for hockey helmets, 22% for football, and 85% for baseball helmets. The test is designed, as many have pointed out, to ensure that the helmet essentially is able to prevent a skull fracture. And that's it, no more no less.

I would buy a helmet that fit my head.

Excellent points.

My understanding from the creator is that you buy a good fitting helmet and us this as added protection for impact? Wondering with the material used and the gel pads if it could slow rotational impact by absorbing?

Also spoke to the Warrior rep today. I find it funny for a company that has the "Safest Helmet" that they were not contacted (according to Warrior) at all about the study and how they managed to get the highest rated helmet? Only the other companies that poorly rated helmets were talked to?