Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nealoc187

sharpening/profiling old Tuuk V2 steel for the first time

I've got some brand new in box Micron 10-90 skates (with the red stripe) with Tuuk V2 blades that have never been worn or sharpened. I've been thinking about getting new skates but I might give these a try for the hell of it rather than spending $500 on new skates.

Question is this, will a normal hockey shop be able to sharpen these bad boys with their super thin blade (obviously ROH not FBV), or are they going to jack them up?

For those unfamiliar with them, the blade is a normal thickness for about the first two inches or so, and then is probably 40% thinner for the remaining length. Here is a pic:

Picture004.jpg

The other option is to forego using the V2s and just get some new steel and/or holders.

Just make sure the sharpener knows what they're doing. It's really easy to mess up V2 steel. Most sharpeners today probably haven't ever seen it, let alone sharpened it.

I'm so jealous! I threw away my 10-90's after 15 years when the holder broke. Figured it was time for something new, but deeply regret it. IMHO, the best skate ever made.

Just make sure the sharpener knows what they're doing. It's really easy to mess up V2 steel. Most sharpeners today probably haven't ever seen it, let alone sharpened it.

It's in the training manual, Mr. Store Captain!