Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hede

Warrior Smyth vs. W28 Yakupov

The lie is similar (Smyth might be a touch lower, but it's close), but the W28 is way more open than the Smyth (the Smyth is a neutral pattern and the W28 is open) and the curve starts closer to the toe with the W28.

Warrior still had the Smyth available via the customizer, but I think that's down at the moment and am not sure if and when it's going to be back. Other than that I'd say the closest retail patterns you can likely find would be:

Sherwood Smith (available on the Rekker 15 in a current model and Nexon 10 and 12 models on clearance) which has a similar lie and is fairly closed, but doesn't have the same taper on the toe and the curve starts more toward the toe. It's not a clone, but I've been using the Smyth for years and can comfortably use the Sherwood Smith

CCM Landeskog - it's more of a mid and has a higher lie, but it's a big closed hook.

Warrior Gionta - basically the same as the Sherwood Smith. It's not on any of the current Warrior sticks, but was available on the Diablo, Widow and the Covert DT2 grip. You may be able to find some of those on clearance.

The other option is hunting down Kovalchuk pro stock sticks. The Smyth was based on one of Kovalchuks pro patterns.

Also the E28 / W28. True has a curve they compare to those, TC3, but from the little I've seen of it, only in pictures online, it looks kind of like a cross between the W10-Gionta and the E28. This would be more open and more heel than the Smyth, but still with a rockered toe and lie almost as low.

Another I've been thinking of is maybe the W71 (and maybe even more perfect for you Hede), said to be inspired by a Malkin pro stock curve. I'm not sure if it's higher than the other patterns discussed here, but otherwise it looks interesting. It reminds me a lot of Montreal's old P.C. in both curve and blade face. That pattern was a really low heel, around 5-lie, with some nice toe rocker and really nice balance for me--it would get my hands to stickhandle away from defenders automatically in ways I didn't even think I could do before I did them, but (if it is that pattern back from the archive) one's MMV.

I have found that the CCM C46 Landeskog (aka Reebok P46 Bergeron) is very close to the Warrior Smyth pattern. In terms of a Warrior equivilant to the Smyth, the W71 Patches would likely be the closest thing, but nothing near to exact.

So i bid the pullet this weekend as we played a tournament in Copenhagen and got my last Warrior Smyth broken so vent for the Easton HTX E28 but with a much lower flex then i use to play with. As i play forward and shoot more snapshots i think the flex will be fine just takes some time to get use to. But the curve is fine and feels good.