Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyGirl

Tricky Youth Hockey Skate Question

Hello. I've lurked for a long time but now I am looking for some opinions.

I used to play hockey and I sold professional level figure and roller skates, as well as, hockey skates and rollerblades for 4 years. So, I know how to fit skates. My problem is that one of my sons have hard to fit feet.

He has a narrow heel and forefoot but a HIGH arch. He also pronates...TERRIBLY. He has finally been fitted for custom orthotics that he wears in his shoes and is going Tuesday to get a pair specifically for his hockey skates. I want to get him into a pair of Grafs but he is still in a youth skate. Size 12.5

I am looking at the G1035, G5035 and G35S. Other than that, I don't see that many Grafs that MIGHT work in his size.

Is there any other options (even non-Graf ones) that I am missing? He plays about 5 times a week (practice and games) and plays almost year round. (He's VERY into it.) He is also pretty small...only 60lbs.

He is currently in an Easton Stealth S1. It was an emergency buy at the end of last season when his old skates were too small. They fit him lengthwise but the boot is too soft. I've moved the blades, tried heel lifts, wedges in the boots, Superfeet, different lace techniques...you name it, I've tried it. I am hoping that the combination of the RIGHT skate and the new orthotics finally solves his horrific pronation issue.

Here is the BIGGEST obstacle...we live in an area where the only DECENT skates shop is over 3 hours away and I won't be going back home to Quebec for quite awhile, so I need to buy online. I know I'll be going to Detroit in November, but he can't wait that long either. So, please, FIRE AWAY with ideas!

Thanks!

Hard task. I would try for the depth of the arch some nexxus skates. Yes I know the heel will not fit properly but the arch is even more important in this case. My son is similar with the high arch I ended up going a little long in length this time around to fit his foot in.. Is inner ankle bone on almost all skates is at the eyelits. The only skate that doesnt is the nexxus and the 9035 but hes in a 3.5 now. Maybe some pics would help>??

You know what? I looked at his feet again today when I took him to the orthopedic doctor and his foot is FLAT. I don't know why I said he had a super high arch; that is his BROTHER...there are 4 of them (and a whole other nightmare). He should have new custom footbeds in less than 2 weeks. His other orthotics didn't do a thing for his arches. They are fine in his tennis shoes, but caused horrible pain in his hockey skates. He could not wear them in his skates.

So knowing that...narrow heels, front of foot, almost flat feet, do you still recommend the Nexxus? I'll try to get pics of his feet soon. I'm surprised that he has so much arch pain with the orthotics (that he currently has and isn't wearing in the skates now) or when I tighten up the laces down by the toe and mid-skate.

It looks like, even though the Eastons technically fit, I will have to buy ANOTHER pair of skates. *insert lots of profanity here* I will now own 3 pairs of almost brand new or actually new skates in the same size. Too bad his younger brother has a completely different foot and can't wear his "old" skates. I guess some kid is going to benefit from all of this when I donate the other skates. :facepalm:

i was going to say... how can he pronate and have a high arch (i always thought the two were mutually exclusive). good to hear that is cleared up lol.

going to detroit, which is where JR works. i'd contact him and try to wait it out til that time honestly. i know you said it's not an option but i'd try my damnedest to make it an option.

You know what? I looked at his feet again today when I took him to the orthopedic doctor and his foot is FLAT. I don't know why I said he had a super high arch; that is his BROTHER...there are 4 of them (and a whole other nightmare). He should have new custom footbeds in less than 2 weeks. His other orthotics didn't do a thing for his arches. They are fine in his tennis shoes, but caused horrible pain in his hockey skates. He could not wear them in his skates.

So knowing that...narrow heels, front of foot, almost flat feet, do you still recommend the Nexxus? I'll try to get pics of his feet soon. I'm surprised that he has so much arch pain with the orthotics (that he currently has and isn't wearing in the skates now) or when I tighten up the laces down by the toe and mid-skate.

It looks like, even though the Eastons technically fit, I will have to buy ANOTHER pair of skates. *insert lots of profanity here* I will now own 3 pairs of almost brand new or actually new skates in the same size. Too bad his younger brother has a completely different foot and can't wear his "old" skates. I guess some kid is going to benefit from all of this when I donate the other skates. :facepalm:

I think if you send the pictures we will be able to help you out!

I'll get the pics this weekend. Thanks! I've got to go to scheduling for pre-season for our team right now AND get us registered for a couple of tournaments, so I'm all over the place until Sunday!