Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

2014 STX Glove/Stick Catalogue

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/files/file/185-2014-stx-stickglove-catalogue/

Gloves - STX is launching their glove line to complement their sticks. Continuing with their 2-family concept, they have two models in the Surgeon and Stallion 500.

Starting with their Stallion line, which is what you would consider a "traditional" glove. Instead of doing a strictly traditional glove in the Stallion and a strictly anatomical glove in the Surgeon, they are actually right in the middle of those two fits with a tapered feel - essentially choosing the middle ground.

Both gloves are the same spec-wise; dual density foam with PE inserts, a Clarino palm, their Dri-Lex moisture wicking liner and stretch mesh gussets. The new technologies that STX is offering is their Cable-Flex thumb, which consists of the thumb piece attached by a cable that runs along the side (if it's hard to picture, picture the binding of the thumb - the cable goes around the piece like that), allowing it to fully move forward, yet lock if hyperextended.

cablethumb.jpg

Yes - I can touch the palm with the thumb - without using my fingers to pull it down.

The range of motion story doesn't end there. The other feature is their M² Knuckle. Instead of stitching the fingers down in the knuckle break, it's actually open there, allowing for more forward range of motion. You can actually fold your entire fingers over and touch the end of your palm.

stxbreak1.jpg

stxbreak.jpg

The Surgeon is a bit more anatomical in the back of the hand. This is the Surgeon back cuff...

surgeoncuff.jpg

...as opposed to the Stallion.

stallioncuff.jpg

5 colors to start, from 12" to 15".

Sticks - Two more sticks in each family to round out the line. On both the Surgeon and the Stallion, there will now be a 300 and 100 model. The 300 is down-spec'd to a carbon fiber shaft (as opposed to 12k on the 500) and the 100 to a carbon/fiberglass mix. However, what is intriguing is that throughout all models, the blade is the exact spec - so you're getting the same blade that is on the 500 on the 100.

The 300 in both models will retail for $149.99 and the 100 will retail at $99.99 - so you're not seeing a strictly entry-level offering at this time.

The gloves and sticks will launch in November.

I used the Surgeon gloves at Winterfest and they were very comfortable right off the bat with no break in time. I used them for the warm up and the entire skate and had complete range of motion, but they stayed snug on my hands and fingers. By the end of the skate they still felt comfortable and pretty dry (although the dry part may be more indicative of my lazy skating that day). When I'm in the market for new gloves they'll certainly garner some consideration.

The gloves seem to be available now on Great Skate, but I don't see them on other sites just yet. http://www.greatskate.com/12089/STX-Surgeon-500-Hockey-Glove---14-inch/detail.html

I used the Surgeon gloves...and had complete range of motion

Better range of motion than any other glove on the market currently? We have spoken before, over the summer when I was last in the US and on the hunt for gloves. That hunt came up null, and I have just been using my Coverts since. I am still on the hunt for a glove that is tight in the fingers and hands, and hyper mobile at the cuff, specifically in the backhand. I need to feel unrestricted when I put my hands at angles to catch bad passes, because I generally have bad hands and my only hope to catch bad passes is to be able to be completely unrestricted.

Do you think this glove fits the bill? I know some older models seemed to have this (I think Supreme Totalone something or other), but with what is out there currently, I am just not feeling anything.

Do they fit true to size? I mean, whatever size you are in Bauer/ Warrior, are you the same in STX?

Edited by Cosmic

Yes, they fit true to size - all my other gloves are 14" and I demoed a 14" pair of Surgeons. They felt as mobile as my fully broken in pair of 2012 Warrior Projekts - those Projekts feel great now, but at first they felt a little restrictive in the cuff area. This was not the case with the Surgeons - I did not feel any restriction in the cuff area at all. They probably aren't as tight as the 2012 Projekts overall, but are still an anatomical glove.

If you're buying ASAP then the Surgeons are a fine choice. If you're possibly waiting for the spring the new Warrior Gloves that will replace the current DT1s felt very nice (I didn't use them on the ice, but tried them on and they were noticeably more comfortable than the previous model) and you may want to consider those as well. I won't say much more about those gloves right now as I don't see a catalogue posted for them just yet, but the new Warriors and the Surgeons are the two that stood out for me at Winterfest. The Rekker gloves were also tight fitting through the back roll and had a more open cuff, but felt quite stiff when new - they may break in very nicely, but the STX Surgeons and Warriors felt comfortable without any break in period.

There's also a new Supreme model that I tried on briefly - it also felt nice, but I didn't demo it and it didn't wow me as much as the Warriors based on just trying them on. The STX's impressed me quite a bit in use based on the fact that I didn't really notice them while playing. I'd have to say that the STX is also a bit tighter than the Warrior through the back roll, but opens up at the cuff. It's also very flexible as you can see from JR's pictures.

Edited by althoma1

Thanks as always Althoma. I am thinking I will wait on the new line of Warriors then, unless over this break, the Surgeons release and impress me; or perhaps the new Missions feel right. I am still skeptical on the protection of the Missions. When I close out shots from my wing position approaching the D man about to shoot, I like to think that if the slapper hits me in the hand, then I will be good to go. I have that feeling in my Warrior Coverts (based on having slammed things into my hand as hard as I could and not having felt anything), but Bauer APXs that I have since gotten out of, nowhere near as impact resistant or dispersant or whatever the term. So, we will see, I am almost in town to go try some things on.

Sign in to follow this