Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt18

Bauer MX3 vs Nexus 8000 Skates ?

I have a pair of old one95s that are start showing thier age. I like the look of a all black skate.

Which skate would be more like my old one95s ? The 8000 look a lot like them and I'm not sure I'm sold flex tongue.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Would the MX3 Not fit the same except for the tongue ?

The different eyelet facing tend to give you a slight bit less volume in the skate. Also to note, the insole in the MX3 has "wings" on the sides that can make the skate seem more narrow, which can be cut off or replaced if it makes a difference in your fit.

I can't find anything online about the Nexus 8000 skates apart from being a wider and deeper boot.

In particular I would like to know about the boot forward pitch. Is it exactly the same as the MX3 or do they give you more of a knee bend ?

If anyone knows this I would appreciate.

When I tried both on, I really didn't notice a difference in boot pitch. The boot pitch is pretty close.

thanks for your input.

I believe the pitch on all Bauer boots are the same because they are using the same holder. different pitch would come from different brands, however you can have your blades profiled.

The biggest difference I noticed coming from One95's to MX3 is that I felt like I was more on my heels in the MX3. I had a 0.060" shim added to the rear tower of the holder and the problem was solved. As for the boot fit, the adjustment was very minimal.

OK I think i'm about ready to pull the rigger on the MX3s, my only concern is the tongue. I have always use a big felt tongue like what is found on the 0ne95 and 0ne90s. Can anyone give good or bad reviews on the thinner flex tongue that is on the mx3s ?

I had the flex tongues on my MX3, hated them. Used them once and went back to felt tongues.

I've heard more complaints about the flex tongues than I have heard praise. But hey, to each his own :]

If it were me, I would just go with the 190's if you are on the fence.

OK I think i'm about ready to pull the rigger on the MX3s, my only concern is the tongue. I have always use a big felt tongue like what is found on the 0ne95 and 0ne90s. Can anyone give good or bad reviews on the thinner flex tongue that is on the mx3s ?

IMO the tongue on the mx3 are closer to the one95s cause they're both a lot thinner than the 52oz felt tongues on the one100/one.9/190

I had the flex tongues on my MX3, hated them. Used them once and went back to felt tongues.

I've heard more complaints about the flex tongues than I have heard praise. But hey, to each his own :]

If it were me, I would just go with the 190's if you are on the fence.

JoshV, just wondering what you didn't like about the MX3 tongues?

I went from One95's to NXG's and skated in MX3's to try them. The Nexus boot has much more negative space than any of the Supreme boots. It's not the same fit. I found the NXGs to be very close to the One95's. They are the best fitting skates I've had since my NBH V12's. The MX3s feel different. The boot has the same characteristics, but the cut feels different. The one piece interfacing gives the boot more wrap and makes the attachemnt to the toe box stiffer. I think with baking the MX3s the fit would improve. I'd look into NXGs on clearance or the 190s.

I like the Flex tongue. I'm not sure there's a functional improvement. But it's pretty thin and wraps around the foot cleaner, I feel. I tuck my tongues into my shins so I don't want any extra bulk in the tongues. No lace bite either.

JoshV, just wondering what you didn't like about the MX3 tongues?

There's a button near your toes that attaches the composite insert, and that was digging into my foot, even laced somewhat loose. The tongue felt too thin and uncomfortable to me while skating

I also had One95's, which were perfect except for the thin tongue on those as well. Guess I just like traditional felt tongues... :mellow: My MX3 are great now with APX2 tongues

I went from One95 > One.9 > MX3 for reference.

There's a button near your toes that attaches the composite insert, and that was digging into my foot, even laced somewhat loose. The tongue felt too thin and uncomfortable to me while skating

I also had One95's, which were perfect except for the thin tongue on those as well. Guess I just like traditional felt tongues... :mellow: My MX3 are great now with APX2 tongues

I went from One95 > One.9 > MX3 for reference.

Did you get your APX2 tongues custom installed by bauer or did you have them install after buying a "off the shelf" MX3 with the Flex tongue ?

Installed them myself after using the flex tongues.

Really wasn't worth the time, I should have asked for 190's from the get go.

I had never used the flex tongues though, so I guess there was no way for me to knock it until I tried it.

Now I know for future reference :rolleyes:

I have only used my 190s three times so take this for what its worth. I love them. The fit on them is great. Very responsive. I thought the taller steel and holder would have been a problem but I hardly noticed it after a few minuets of skating.

I added a thin felt tongue to the inside of the existing mx3 tongue and took out the flex insert feels much better and allows me to keep my skates a bit loser while still having plenty of support with nice forward flex