Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rnewbolt

Over Pronation in right foot & running out of options, help!

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what hockey skates to get. I was bought a pair of bauer vapor elites for christmas this year and they've been a nightmare. Every time I wear them my right foot pronates to such an extent that it makes it impossible to skate.

Heres a photo showing the over pronation in my right leg: http://i57.tinypic.com/156p9h1.jpg

At first I thought the boots were broke or aligned wrong. Then after reading up about vapor elites I thought it may be because they are not strong enough for my height and weight (6ft - 13 stone) being that they are only entry level boots. I then tried on some more expensive boots (bauer x40's, reebok 9k pump etc) at my local skate shop and my right foot still leans inwards pretty bad. I then tried insoles thinking that perhaps I was flat footed but they didnt help at all.

The guy at my local skate shop told me to get my foot prints measured at my local sport store to see what my arches are like and it seems that my left foot has a super high arch and my right slightly less. However my right foot is definitely not flat (As you can see in the pic) so I find it strange that I am pronating so much. Could this be the route of my problems? Has anyone else experienced anything similar to me?

Heres a photo of my foot/arch measurements: http://i61.tinypic.com/33ttgma.jpg

The weirdest part about it is that my right foot barely pronates when I skate with the cheap, blue, plastic rental skates most ice rinks hire out...

Any help would be appreciated!

You actually have decent arches. I think the boots are just too soft. Go back to the store and put on some APX2s or MX3's with superfeet insoles and see if the problem still exists. I'm willing to bet the plastic rental skates are stiffer than vapor elites. There are guys that have a ton of info on these matters and they'll be able to help you out more on here, this is just my two cents.

I would go with the medium CCM custom insoles over Superfeet. With Superfeet insoles, the arch support is far beyond that what shows up on the thermo-foot measuring board - aimed more at someone with a higher arch - thus over-compensating the problem and exposing yourself to supination through faulty equipment.

For skates, I second looking for more supportive skates. The right fitting skates, coupled with strengthening, for your foot and ankle will have a greatest effect on your ankle stability and support.

I would go with the medium CCM custom insoles over Superfeet. With Superfeet insoles, the arch support is far beyond that what shows up on the thermo-foot measuring board - aimed more at someone with a higher arch - thus over-compensating the problem and exposing yourself to supination through faulty equipment.

For skates, I second looking for more supportive skates. The right fitting skates, coupled with strengthening, for your foot and ankle will have a greatest effect on your ankle stability and support.

Superfeet isn't an arch support product, it's a heel stabilizer designed to help with pronation among other things. At this point, we are unsure about whther is problem is necessarily pronation in itself, or an excessively collapsed arch. It's better to buy SF Yellow first to see if that works because it comes with a 60 day guarantee. Try the CCM after if SF doesn't work, that way you don't sink money into the CCM only. Makes sense?

Then you're not fitting the Suprfeet correctly if your having those issues!

Hi there,
I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what hockey skates to get. I was bought a pair of bauer vapor elites for christmas this year and they've been a nightmare. Every time I wear them my right foot pronates to such an extent that it makes it impossible to skate.
Heres a photo showing the over pronation in my right leg: http://i57.tinypic.com/156p9h1.jpg
At first I thought the boots were broke or aligned wrong. Then after reading up about vapor elites I thought it may be because they are not strong enough for my height and weight (6ft - 13 stone) being that they are only entry level boots. I then tried on some more expensive boots (bauer x40's, reebok 9k pump etc) at my local skate shop and my right foot still leans inwards pretty bad. I then tried insoles thinking that perhaps I was flat footed but they didnt help at all.
The guy at my local skate shop told me to get my foot prints measured at my local sport store to see what my arches are like and it seems that my left foot has a super high arch and my right slightly less. However my right foot is definitely not flat (As you can see in the pic) so I find it strange that I am pronating so much. Could this be the route of my problems? Has anyone else experienced anything similar to me?
Heres a photo of my foot/arch measurements: http://i61.tinypic.com/33ttgma.jpg
The weirdest part about it is that my right foot barely pronates when I skate with the cheap, blue, plastic rental skates most ice rinks hire out...
Any help would be appreciated!

If you pronate, a super stiff skate does not help. Your foot will still twist in the skate but because the sides do not give, you create pressure points particularly on the inside ankle and outside of the little toes. These will hurt really badly after a while to the point you cannot skate.

You have to square the blade to the middle of your foot based on your muscle and joint structure. This article gives a very good breakdown on pronation:

http://www.ladyinredcreations.com/Ankles_Down.htm

I'd recommend you buy Grafs, take the holders off, file out the mounting holes and move the holder inwards a little at a time until you feel as though you are centered over the top of the blade. Having someone watch and video you skate can help a lot. Note - I'm not promoting Grafs here as the answer to pronation, the reason I recommend them is because they are the only skate around in which you can easily remove the holder, make adjustments and then refit it yourself.

btw, I pronate in both feet and have spent a lot of time, cost and effort trying different things. Moving the holder was the only long term viable answer that I have come up with. Along the way I tried superfeet (I do use them in my inlines), custom orthotics, shims, super stiff boots (NXG, apxr2) and eventually settled on some G5 ultras in which I moved the holders inwards. I'm on, or was, the ice for 3 hours a day every day of the week without pain or discomfort. It's not hard to do yourself, pm me if you need any tips or are unsure how to proceed.

If it were exclusively a heel support product, the plastic portion would solely be on the heel. The support in SF extends towards the arch, where arch support forms part of ankle stability. One product isn't particularly going to cater to all populations, considering the many variables in a correct fit - thus the recommendations for CCM's, where there is a larger range to correct their foot type, rather than a singular fit offered by SF Yellow. Of course, if OP can get to a store which stocks both and try them on before purchasing, that would be the most reasonable - considering comfort is subjective.

It's difficult to tell without further objective assessments of the foot and ankle. However, I would highly doubt if it were an excessively collapsed arch, considering the thermo-print from the footboard. From anecdotal and clinical experience, I would be leaning towards a soft tissue imbalance.

Then you're not fitting the Suprfeet correctly if your having those issues!

Well, obviously. Looking to fix a problem by replacing it with another isn't fixing it. The point I'm coming across with is to avoid it completely and find a product which allows them to position their ankle in neutral alignment. I'm not disregarding SF's ability to do this, but with the images OP has supplied and through experience, I've found the arch support to be far too much for a case like this.

The issue here in regards to insoles is you may actually have to fit the arch length as taught by Superfeet. So regarding the Superfeet vs the CCM the only enhancement with CCM Insoles would be the arch heights. If you had the wrong size for length of arch this wouldn't matter anyway.