Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

What skate hollow do you skate on?

What skate hollow do you skate on?  

561 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6'5" 210lbs

3/4 ROH, I will try out 1" FBV next.

30/60 cag one profile on 296mm blades

I played my first game with this profile, not sure if I like it. I switched steel and the new ones have less rocker

I use a 5/8" ROH as we don't have anyone able to do anything but a standard ROH here. I'm 6' and weigh about 205lbs.

I'd like to give a FBV a go, but have to get the skates sharpened in Victoria (about 1,000 miles from here).

7/16

5'11'' 180

Recently switched from 5/8 and really like the increased glide and less common feeling of "catching an edge".

7/16

5'11'' 180

Recently switched from 5/8 and really like the increased glide and less common feeling of "catching an edge".

Shouldn't the 5/8 be more shallow, hence more glide?

Shouldn't the 5/8 be more shallow, hence more glide?

Yes, it is physically impossible for a 7/16 to have more glide than a 5/8.

I asked my skate fitter when I was buying my first & only set of skates & he recommended 7/16". I've stuck with it, but once my sharpening card runs out I might try FBV as now the shop offers that as well.

I must have had a different hollow before. I know I am on 7/16 now and am happy with it. They feel less sharp than before. Sorry for the confusion on previous hollow.

Yes, it is physically impossible for a 7/16 to have more glide than a 5/8.

Yes and no. I used to have people come in and order a specific hollow (usually something with more bite than 1/2"), only to complain that it had too much bite. It turns out that the other shop in town was doing such a poor job, that a proper 1/2" hollow had more bite and less glide than their 5/8". In a perfect world, where everyone shows pride in their work and actually do a decent job, your statement is correct.

5'8 170lbs

I used to use a 1/2" ROH then switched to 100/50 FBV for a while. Found most places consistently made it sharper than I liked so I switched to 90/75 FBV.

Now I use a local shop that opened up recently that does maximum edge sharpenings and go with a 5/8".

5'8 170lbs

I used to use a 1/2" ROH then switched to 100/50 FBV for a while. Found most places consistently made it sharper than I liked so I switched to 90/75 FBV.

Now I use a local shop that opened up recently that does maximum edge sharpenings and go with a 5/8".

So, you switched from FBV back to ROH? Can you elaborate on why?

I used to get 1/2'', but I got tired of uneven edges from bad sharpeners. Got an x-01 and do 100/50 for myself @ 5'11'' 180lbs. The bite is almost identical. I do the skates for a few guys on my team as well. They are all content with 100/50. Weight range 170-195.

So, you switched from FBV back to ROH? Can you elaborate on why?

I found the extra glide to be negligible and not worth the extra cost of the sharpening. Also, the edges did not hold up well at all. I found that I got about twice as long edge life using a regular sharpening once I went back.

I found the extra glide to be negligible and not worth the extra cost of the sharpening. Also, the edges did not hold up well at all. I found that I got about twice as long edge life using a regular sharpening once I went back.

Good info. Thanks. That is contrary to what some others have claimed, but I appreciate the info. I haven't tried FBV yet and would like to get as much objective info as possible.

Yes and no. I used to have people come in and order a specific hollow (usually something with more bite than 1/2"), only to complain that it had too much bite. It turns out that the other shop in town was doing such a poor job, that a proper 1/2" hollow had more bite and less glide than their 5/8". In a perfect world, where everyone shows pride in their work and actually do a decent job, your statement is correct.

True, I assumed he was having the same guy do it, in that case, if he's bad, he'll be bad regardless of what hollow he's doing. One of the shops around here if you go in and ask for 5/8. they'll say sure but give you 1/2".