Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

What skate hollow do you skate on?

What skate hollow do you skate on?  

561 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I need help!

I'm from Michigan but now live in San Diego.

When i played in Michigan I weighed about 200lbs at my heaviest (I'm 6'2") and usually did about 1/2 ROH on my skates. I have gained a few pounds since I've moved to SoCal and now weigh about 245LBS. I am currently skating on 5/8 ROH but I feel like this is a bit sharp for me - too Much bite, not enough glide, and too much energy loss during games. Should I go up even further to say like 3/4? i know I am pretty heavy but I still have speed and move really well. Just looking for more glide/energy without having to sacrifice good edge work. Does this make any sense?

If you have a shop near you that does FBV, try the 90/75. If not, 3/4 is probably the best next step for you.

Definitely try 3/4" or maybe even 1". Combination of increased weight + softer ice (I assume Cali temps make the ice softer than in Michigan) means you're sinking in further than you're used to. I find 1/2" sharp even on hard Canadian winter ice.

Youre Awesome!

If you have a shop near you that does FBV, try the 90/75. If not, 3/4 is probably the best next step for you.

Thanks a bunch! I want to try FBV but no one really does it around here. But thanks again!

Hey guys,

Tried the 3/4 ROH and immediately loved it. My speed was back and I had more East/ West mobility as well. Most importantly my legs, speciffically my hamstrings, were not shot by the middle of the second period. It was just great to have my speed, mobility, and stamina back. I might try 11/16 next just to make sure that 3/4 is right for me. Again thanks a ton boo10 & Chadd for all of your help!

My son is 10 years old and 75 lbs and skates on 5/8 and been there probably 2 years. A LHS guy who sharpened for some local junior teams said to get him there and used to it as soon as possible. It was his opinion and kind of went against the grain of the local "standard" which is 1/2 but he was extremely meticulous even though he was sharpening a youth skate and I trusted him. Depending on where I go, I watch and listen for the wheel to be dressed and will "remind" them that I requested 5/8 if they don't change it. I always get the "I forgot" even though it's written on the blade holder. He also said down the line to move him to 3/4 but I think he needs to be bigger for that. His philosophy is to get kids used to being able to skate on that shallower hollow at a younger age so they maximize glide as they get older.

5/8, I'd like to try 3/4 but don't have much time at the rink to adjust before games.

When I went from 5/8's to 3/4's the transition was seamless.

Tried FBV 90/75 and 90/50 and didn't like either one so going back to 5/8 ROH for now and may try 1/2 ROH & 3/4 ROH to see how that works. 6'1" and 175 without gear, 9 foot blade radius.

When I purchased my X-01, I played around with a few different cuts until a buddy of mine that works at a Total Hockey talked me into trying 3/4". I just happened to have 90/75 spinner and tried it and I haven't looked back. All of the guys tha I sharpen for also get the 90/75 and they really seem to like it and most came from 1/2". Even my 9 year old son who weighs about 70 lbs. gets the 90/75 and he says he really likes it for as much as a 9 y.o can tell. I can say that he has never lost an edge on the 90/75 and seems really comfortable.

I've told people no when they ask for 3/16 hollows. I won't put myself in a position to be sued when they hurt themselves.

The guy who trained me and now myself will never go past 3/8's when sharpening skates.

Anything sharper is a)a liability and b)flat out crazy IMHO.

FBV 90/50 since 2009. 5'6'', 165lbs, stock 1st gen CXN/Mako. Not the skater I used to be, so I might need a little more grip. I've gotten really lazy about leaning into turns and using my edges properly.

6'1", 195lbs. I started at 1/2 and then was at 5/8 for a while. Tried today 3/4 for the first time and let me tell you, the best feeling I ever had. I always liked sharp skates but hated the first few skating's even on 5/8 due to extra grab.