Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hawaii

Home Skate Sharpener

I need advice on home use skate sharpener. I'm deciding between Blackstone X01 and Wissota. Does anyone have experience with these machines? Wissota seems much more durable, with a bigger motor and weighing in at 60 pounds. X01 seems easy to dress the wheel with their spinner system but is lightweight. Which one is easier to use for a rookie? Is the X01 holder easier to use then the Wissota? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I need advice on home use skate sharpener. I'm deciding between Blackstone X01 and Wissota. Does anyone have experience with these machines? Wissota seems much more durable, with a bigger motor and weighing in at 60 pounds. X01 seems easy to dress the wheel with their spinner system but is lightweight. Which one is easier to use for a rookie? Is the X01 holder easier to use then the Wissota? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

here's a good link to a previous thread. I use FBV exclusively, so Blackstone X01 is it for me. (and it's a great, easy to use, personal machine and Blackstone's customer service is top notch)

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/65408-blackstone-x01-vs-new-wissota-sharpening-system/

Thanks STG! The Blackstone X01/X02 gets a lot of positive reviews on this site. Having no experience sharpening skates, I worry that the 22 pound X01 may move. The Wissota and Blademaster SPB850 are so much heavier machines. Does this matter to the finished product?

Also, comparing holders. The Wissota 3D and Blackstone X12 seem similar because of the dials. The Blademaster SH2000 looks different, maybe harder to use. Any thoughts. Seems like having an easy to use holder would be important to get even edges.

Go with the Wissota or Blackstone holders, they are much easier to manage, especially for a beginner.

Both machines are competent and reliable. I have an X01 and another player in town has a Wissota. The Wissota is nice, very substantial, much larger table top, but lacks the spinner system (which in my opinion is a much superior way to dress a stone). The X01 has the spinner system. It might weigh less, but its not lacking anything you might need.

Either machine wont leave you disappointed.

Zach

Thanks STG! The Blackstone X01/X02 gets a lot of positive reviews on this site. Having no experience sharpening skates, I worry that the 22 pound X01 may move. The Wissota and Blademaster SPB850 are so much heavier machines. Does this matter to the finished product?

Also, comparing holders. The Wissota 3D and Blackstone X12 seem similar because of the dials. The Blademaster SH2000 looks different, maybe harder to use. Any thoughts. Seems like having an easy to use holder would be important to get even edges.

I concur with Deathtron concerning the holders and the spinner system.

The X01 doesn't move for me. Granted I have it bolted down to my table, but I have used it unbolted, and didn't have any issues with movement. The X02, from my understanding, is heavier, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem on that machine either.

Sure would be. The Wissota holder that I saw had some pretty neat magnets that were on the dial, so you could see how far you rotated the dials from where they previously were. Pretty neat little feature, but definitely not a big deal.

I really cant comment enough on how I much more prefer the spinner system to the traditional radius arm. While I've spent more years using a radius arm, I wish more of them had been with the spinner system. Perfectly dressed stones every time.

Zach

I have the X02. My experience has been nothing short of fantastic. I appreciate the flexibility of being able to do ROH and FBV. Not everyone (most) are sold on FBV so it is nice to touch up skates or those who want 1/2.

The X02 is a hefty machine. You really cannot move it when sharpening. If you do move you have got to be doing something wrong.

Since I have owned it I have gotten kids out of many sharpening jams. Outdoor ice eats up edges. Holidays and Sundays are prime rink rat time for kids. I have had many late night or early morning drop offs from my kids teammates.

OK...Does the Wissota Universal Wheel Dresser do as good of a job with FBV as the actual Blackstone X01/X02 systems?

Wow, that's cool.

Our association has a Wissota. I'm tempted to buy that accessory to be able to do FBV.

I've owned both Wissota and Blackstone machines and the difference is like night and day. The Blackstone machines give me better results and are generally easier to use.

OK...Does the Wissota Universal Wheel Dresser do as good of a job with FBV as the actual Blackstone X01/X02 systems?

I thought Blackstone had sent them a cease and desist letter about that for a potential patent violation.

I've owned both Wissota and Blackstone machines and the difference is like night and day. The Blackstone machines give me better results and are generally easier to use.

I've had a completely different experience.

I know it's been a long time since you had a Wissota, & I'm wondering if you had the (very) old S8 model. I find that I can get better results from the Wissota. I believe it's because of the full sized grinding wheel & because the mass of the table is clamped around the motor, helping to dampen any harmonics caused by the spinning wheel. Makes for a nice smooth finish. I got amazing results when I made an adapter to use the slightly thinner & lighter wheels made for the full sized Blackstone & Blademaster machines. I don't know what you mean by the easier to use comment, it's pretty simple to use either machine.

I also currently have a Blackstone X02, & I like it much better than the X01 that I had briefly, but it costs about the same as my SPB850 which I feel is a level up (but much heavier) from the other machines.

I'm looking for sharpener information, voltage, frequency and electricity consumption.

Especially for power supply frequency, in my area using 50Hz electricity... so if I use 60Hz sharpener, it down its general rpm to 5/6.

I wanna the information of Blademaster SPB850 and Blackstone X-01/02.

Your electricity consumption will be low - nothing to worry about.

Voltage will be 110v (for a single-head, portable), single-phase, best to run a 15amp breaker on the line - I run a ShopVac on the same 15A circuit as my portable and never have a problem.

Do you have a normal 3 prong North American plug - or would you be using some sort of converter? I would think you'd need the ground prong. This might also add some resistance or need to be verified with the manufacturer.

Not sure about the frequency. I'd contact Blackstone and have one of their techs/engineers answer that one. I don't know if you'd want the motor "stepping down" it's RPM.

Definitely the 60Hz electricity of North American area is minority group throughout the world.

The other European countries for example Germany, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Swiss, Czech or Russia using 50Hz electricity as same as my area and probably the shops which located in such area using their Blademaster or Blackstone sharpeners without any measures for down rpm.

Also my near shops using the 60Hz sharpeners with 50Hz electricity normally.

I'm thinking to buy Wissota 911 for my first home sharpener.

I've already decided to buy FBV spinners and contacted with Blackstone.

At first I was thinking that I would ask my skates for the sole shop who has Blackstone sharpener in my area.

But I can't trust their job... so I change my mind to use it by myself.

Blademaster SPB850 is better sharpener too, I think.

But they don't open important information for example price or frequency on their website.

At that point, I can appreciate Wissota.

If I were you I'd consider the Blackstone again. It's a solid machine - I can't speak to Wissota, but I've been happy with my Blackstone machines, and I know other guys here love them as well.

I'm using the Professional F-02 Revolver as my portable rig (and for FBV) and one of their 3-head Turbo machines w single-points for my shop machine.

Woooo... I want to buy such class sharpener if really I can invest it!

If it was real, I must buy Blademaster BRC2005.

Someday I want to buy a cross grinding machine either for contouring.

But now! I can only pay for 1000$ class sharpener only!

So I choose from SPB850, 911 and X-01.

If I were you I'd consider the Blackstone again. It's a solid machine - I can't speak to Wissota, but I've been happy with my Blackstone machines, and I know other guys here love them as well.

I'm using the Professional F-02 Revolver as my portable rig (and for FBV) and one of their 3-head Tuorbo machines w single-points for my shop machine.

Sure your F-02 Revolver is a great sharpener, but it has nothing in common with an X series machine. Plus, it's nowhere near the price point he's looking to spend. An X series Blackstone (especially the X-01 he's looking at) is already down on ft/sec, and to loose almost 20% by running it 50hz makes it a poor choice for his needs.

The plate on my SPB850 says 60/50 HZ.

! SPB850 can be running the same rpm under 50Hz electricity as 60Hz?

No, 3450rpm @ 60hz/2850rpm @ 50hz. 4.9/4.8 full load amps @ 115volts.

I'm guessing 2850 is a normal rpm for an a/c motor in your country?

Now I noticed...

Wissota 911 using 7" wheel.

Can't we put Blademaster or Blackstone's 8" wheel onto Wissota?

An 8" wheel won't fit on a Wissota, but I used to run them on one after I used about 1/2" off on my full sized Blademaster. Also needed to make an adapter to fit the arbor because the 8" wheels have a 1 1/4" center hole, while the Wissota had a 1/2" arbor. But they ran very well once they were used enough to fit.

Thank you notquitedeadyet,

Fmmm it's difficult to decide right now...

Someone on this board said he liked Wissota wheel rather than Blademaster's.

But I can't help thinking why would not Wissota choose 8" wheel!

I'm guessing 2850 is a normal rpm for an a/c motor in your country?

Definitely there are the same rpm products in my country.

One of the way I can use the sharpeners under 3450rpm is to make 60Hz electricity newly by 4 cycles generator.

I can get such generator from roughly 300$ but its noise and exhaust gas are much problem for me.