Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2panther

USA Hockey Level 1 clinic

has anyone been to this that could provide a little more about the on ice session? While I can skate pretty well my stick handling is awful. What should I expect from the on ice session in regards to what I may be required to demonstrate (I'm guessing) if anything.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

I guess things have changed a bit. I'm a Level 4 and I've never touched the ice at a coaching clinic. Only for ADM trainings. If it's anything like the USAH ADM things I've been to, it's nothing more than pushing pucks and setting up drills. You'll be fine...

At my level 1 all I did was stand around and watch some demonstrations. I didn't have to perform anything. Don't worry, I think you'll be good.

As long as you are talking about a coaching level 1 and not a officiating level one. At those you have to practice some officiating stuff.

Also, for the most part my level 1, 2, and 3 were pretty lame and a waste of time. Level 4 was fantastic and worth the time but paying $220 sucked. I can appreciate what USA hockey is trying to do but those first 3 seminars are really a long day.

In MA, there aren't any on-ice sessions. I'm told there used to be, but the logistics were too much of a hassle. Where are you that there's an on-ice component?

In MA, there aren't any on-ice sessions. I'm told there used to be, but the logistics were too much of a hassle. Where are you that there's an on-ice component?

I'm in Rochester NY, this is part of Perinton Youth Hockey

Interested in getting my Level 1 CEP but don't have the time this year nor do I see myself coaching any time soon. Something to keep in mind though.

I wasn't even really interested in it. The program director emailed parents asking if anyone wanted to help with on ice stuff and I'm decent enough and play mens league one night a week where I thought I could help some kids. I didn't know this was required, no big deal though, it's only $40 and I'll get some time with my daughter when she rotates to my stations or whatever I'm doing. She thinks it's cool and to me that's worth it. This is U8 so I'm not trying to coach some high level travel team. I just always like to be prepared going into something.

I appreciate all the replies.

Yea, the only reason I'd be interested is since I just had to register as a player for the first time in years. I didn't realize that same registration applied to coaches also. Given my frugal ways, I feel that I ought go attend a Level 1 CEP seminar haha. Unfortunately, the only left in PA is in York. On a Sunday. In December. If I stay with on with this other men's league team for next fall, I'll look into getting the CEP credit for 2015-16. Just not a fan of paying for a registration as an official and as a player.

I'm in Rochester NY, this is part of Perinton Youth Hockey

I wasn't even really interested in it. The program director emailed parents asking if anyone wanted to help with on ice stuff and I'm decent enough and play mens league one night a week where I thought I could help some kids. I didn't know this was required, no big deal though, it's only $40 and I'll get some time with my daughter when she rotates to my stations or whatever I'm doing. She thinks it's cool and to me that's worth it. This is U8 so I'm not trying to coach some high level travel team. I just always like to be prepared going into something.

I appreciate all the replies.

The drills one does with U8s/Mites/small fry are generally pretty basic. In my association it's things like stepping over sticks on the ice, learning to stop, getting comfortable on skates, passing, stickhandling, and it's all fairly well broken down so you don't need to be fancy demonstrating or explaining. An added side-bonus is getting in some practice time yourself. ;) I wouldn't worry as long as you can skate, make a pass, and carry a puck around a cone or two.

I'm not sure one can have too many coaches when it comes to younger kids, so the more the merrier.

I took mine last year. For the on ice stuff we were the "mites" for large group stuff and then we broke up in to stations and a few of the coaches lead the rest of us. I would not be to worried about how well you demo something for the on ice time. It was more about learning small area games that we could use when we got back.

I have level 3 and at the on ice things for each of the levels in St. Louis it was run by a local power skating instructor (she works with kids and has worked with NHLers as well). There were probably around 100-200 people on the ice. Some of the things she had us do were uncomfortable but there is no test so it's no big deal. There were people who were beginning skaters and there are always a few that are non-skaters that are on the benches. I wouldn't worry about it.

Timely thread. Im going to the level 1 clinic on Saturday in Anchorage. Same reasons as you 2panther. My daughter is playing mini mites and they are needing more on ice help. I'm glad to do it, and I have a 4 yo that will start next season so I guess its about time I get on board.

Looking forward to skating with the kids, but all day classroom training?... not so much....

That's only the start. Level 1 CEP class, all day. Online age-appropriate module, in your case the Mite module, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Finally, you're now also required to take an online SafeSport class which runs 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It's a lot of training that is required to simply go out on the ice and assist in a Mite practice. The good news is that once you've done it you are good to go at Mites (except for SafeSport which you have to take every 2 yrs) and don't have to progress to CEP Level 2 until you reach Squirts. While I applaud USA Hockey for what they are doing in the effort to train coaches and make sure they have some sort of instruction it does make it very difficult to recruit volunteer coaches to an association. It also makes it difficult to keep them on the ice as every year on Dec 31 I have to send out emails informing some coaches they are not allowed to be on the ice or behind the bench anymore because they did not complete their CEP requirements.

In case you are wondering I'm an ACE Coodinator who has been through Level 4 and all the diffferent online modules. I thoroughly enjoyed my Level 2 clinic, the instructor was an area high school coach (MN) and did a good job. My Level 3 clinic had potential but was ruined by the fact over half the class were Mite coaches. The instructor didn't want ot get too far into the Lvl 3 class cirriculum because it wasn't applicable to the Mite level. My advise, if you are a Mite coach do not go beyond Level 1 until you need to (Squirts) because you start getting into material that is beyond what you need to coach Mites. The Level 4 clinic I attended was fantastic. It was in Bloomington, MN and was literal who's who of presenters from USA Hockey, the High School, College, and even guys with Pro experience. Worth the $200 some dollars and I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime in the future.

Yea, the only reason I'd be interested is since I just had to register as a player for the first time in years. I didn't realize that same registration applied to coaches also. Given my frugal ways, I feel that I ought go attend a Level 1 CEP seminar haha. Unfortunately, the only left in PA is in York. On a Sunday. In December. If I stay with on with this other men's league team for next fall, I'll look into getting the CEP credit for 2015-16. Just not a fan of paying for a registration as an official and as a player.

The York rink is a decent facility. You're welcome to crash at my place, I'm half an hour north of there.

I didn't think the SafeSport was so bad, but the mite and squirt age specific modules were so similar (in fact in many places verbatim, just switching out 'U10' for 'U8') it was kind of a drag. Also, I don't make a lot of money, and paying $150/year to volunteer (registration, coaching clinic, and age-specific module) was a significant chunk of change for me. (luckily, I took level 3 last year so I'm good for a while.)

At the Bruins coaching symposium this year, coaches could get their Level 2 or Level 3, and aside from the fact that hearing from pro coaches and getting to watch the morning skate is pretty cool, they had arranged it so there were 6 options for 'breakout' sessions and you could pick 3, so it wasn't as bad as sitting in an auditorium on a weekend morning from dawn until dusk. Moving around and smaller groups and more chances to ask questions.

Still would be nice to just see an example of a practice being run, like a mite/squirt/whatever age group practice, if not actually go on the ice. Haven't seen that here, although I think there are some districts in Mass. that run on-ice components.

2Panther, good luck with your clinic and the season.

I didn't think the SafeSport was so bad, but the mite and squirt age specific modules were so similar (in fact in many places verbatim, just switching out 'U10' for 'U8') it was kind of a drag. Also, I don't make a lot of money, and paying $150/year to volunteer (registration, coaching clinic, and age-specific module) was a significant chunk of change for me. (luckily, I took level 3 last year so I'm good for a while.)

At the Bruins coaching symposium this year, coaches could get their Level 2 or Level 3, and aside from the fact that hearing from pro coaches and getting to watch the morning skate is pretty cool, they had arranged it so there were 6 options for 'breakout' sessions and you could pick 3, so it wasn't as bad as sitting in an auditorium on a weekend morning from dawn until dusk. Moving around and smaller groups and more chances to ask questions.

Still would be nice to just see an example of a practice being run, like a mite/squirt/whatever age group practice, if not actually go on the ice. Haven't seen that here, although I think there are some districts in Mass. that run on-ice components.

2Panther, good luck with your clinic and the season.

Thank you. I'll post back up once it's over (November 22nd)

I was thinking about trying to sneak into the October 19th class in Lake Placid (maybe at the Olympic Training Center?) but Brockport NY will be much more convenient for me. I'm glad I got this thread going not only for myself but anyone else looking for this info as I couldn't find much via google.

Thank you for the timely discussion, all. I'm going for my Level 1 tomorrow to support my daughter's U14 team. They're the skill equivalent of a house league team, but needed more adults on the ice.

My daughter is cool with it, so I am going for it. I've also been certified as a kayaking instructor and volleyball coach.

I am pretty stoked about the ADM. It's far and away better than what is available for youth volleyball.

It's a lot like coaching a lot of other youth sports--give them lots of praise when they get things right, and challenge them to continually improve.

You don't have to be perfect, but if you're demonstrating something, make sure it's as visually perfect as possible because they will emulate you. If one of your skills (i.e. stickhandling) sucks, have someone else--even a player--demonstrate it while you narrate.

Don't praise ability, praise effort and improvement.

Don't yell at them, and realize that for some of them, you might be the only friendly adult in their day.

It's true, 2panther, there really isn't a whole lot of info about what's covered at a given clinic level. Part I suppose because they can vary so much from place to place, but at least for me, they didn't even, say, send a schedule of the day. That would've been nice, just to have some idea going in beforehand. Like, 'you get donuts and coffee, then we cover a, b, c with these speakers, then lunch, then we'll cover x, y, z with these other speakers'.

The York rink is a decent facility. You're welcome to crash at my place, I'm half an hour north of there.

Yea, I was out at York last year working a Gettysburg College game (first time in about 10 years). It's like a hidden gem out there. Thanks for the offer: if I decide to go, I'll let you know.

has anyone been to this that could provide a little more about the on ice session? While I can skate pretty well my stick handling is awful. What should I expect from the on ice session in regards to what I may be required to demonstrate (I'm guessing) if anything.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

At mine, it wasn't so much about testing, but more that they gave us some drills, gave us feedback on our own technique, and then gave us tips we could share with the players.

It was a massive information dump--which was awesome. We got our money's worth. Just make sure you don't try to dump too much information too fast on your players!!

You should have decent skill modeling because the kids will watch you and copy you.

If your stickhandling is bad, have a player demonstrate it for the team. :)

My level 1 was brutal - almost 9 hours in a school cafeteria, no breakouts, just a very slow-moving powerpoint and speaker that i wouldn't wish on anyone. In fact, one guy made it about 7 hours in and then finally stood up and said something to the effect of "Sorry, i can't do this. I've been coaching hockey 20+ years, and now my league requires that i sit through this USA hockey 'stuff' and I'm not going to do it." I assume he didn't obtain his level one CEP or complete the module, and i felt bad for him. That was 4 years ago.

I did my level 2 last year, and it was a totally different experience. Smaller group and a high school coach that moved through the material at a much better pace...

Still, i haven't had a single 'on ice' session and i have my level 3 this month. I don't know if i'll be on the ice or not. To break up the redundancy of the classroom setting, i welcome the ice time....here's hoping.

I made it to level three a few years back and it was an utterly useless exercise. They didn't teach anything useful in any of the sessions, it was all about trying to convince people that the new model was the greatest thing since sliced bread. There was very little information about actually running practices, evaluating or the things that make up 90% of the job of coaching.

I made it to level three a few years back and it was an utterly useless exercise. They didn't teach anything useful in any of the sessions, it was all about trying to convince people that the new model was the greatest thing since sliced bread. There was very little information about actually running practices, evaluating or the things that make up 90% of the job of coaching.

My level 3 spent approximately 1/3 of the time on face-offs and the permutations thereof. It was ghastly. The Bruins coaching symposium was an absolute 180 from any clinic I've attended. (too bad I already had my level 3, right?) Better time utilization, choice of several breakout sessions, actual useful information in at least one of them. Some of the pro coaches didn't quite know how to talk to an audience of mostly-mite coaches, and the motivational speaker at the end ... well, your mileage may vary on that one. Also, I found at least one of the presenters didn't take coaches' questions seriously, would deflect and offer a stock answer, a "oh, if you look at the website" or "yes, we're working on that".

Like moteef said, some of the speakers are just utterly awful at presenting. (it's that way in the online modules too.)

I like the idea of an overview, broken up with focused sessions (that you can choose from, depending on your interest and level) on different topics, with at least watching an example practice if not participating. I know the last isn't logistically feasible for many places (lack of rinks and/or ice-time), but ideal world and all. Sometimes in the big clinics it's easy to get lost and disengage from the information being presented, and at least breaking into smaller groups might make for improved discourse between presenters and attendees, and less feeling like 'we're just going here to get socked over the head with USAH propaganda for 7 hours, have some free food, and get a patch'.

The SafeSport training was pretty good, but the audio quality in the videos was horrible.

We did group training last night, and I was constantly turning the audio down and up....and the stupid big bass in the background music. Who in the heck needs that much background music for training videos??!?

Cliff's notes:

Don't rape kids.

Don't rape kids at practice, after practice, in the car on the way home, in the hotel at travel games.

If you suspect someone of raping kids, report it in accordance with state laws and let the investigation clear them if they're innocent.

badger_14 - I almost went to the Bruins symposium but with my 10 yr old in the midst of soccer season leading up to hockey in another few weeks, I couldn't swing it. I heard great things about it.....

I think i'll have the same instructor for my level 3 and hopefully he'll get us on the ice. It's a bit of a tease to sit in the conference room staring at a poorly-adjusted projector screen when the ice surface is down 1 floor and visible from the conference room windows....