Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2panther

USA Hockey Level 1 clinic

badger_14 - I almost went to the Bruins symposium but with my 10 yr old in the midst of soccer season leading up to hockey in another few weeks, I couldn't swing it. I heard great things about it.....

I think i'll have the same instructor for my level 3 and hopefully he'll get us on the ice. It's a bit of a tease to sit in the conference room staring at a poorly-adjusted projector screen when the ice surface is down 1 floor and visible from the conference room windows....

It was fun, this was their second one. A lot of guys came from pretty far away - I saw jackets from Connecticut and Rhode Island, as well as New Hampshire and the Cape. But I know at least my association has most of its travel games lumped together on Saturday and Sunday mornings in exactly the time block as the coaching symposium, and I'm sure plenty of people had the same issue as you with other sports as well. It's got its weak points, but last year they sent out an email asking for feedback and seemed to take it into consideration, so they're working on it.

What part of the state are you in? In general, I mean, north/south/east/westawoostah. Yeah that would be frustrating. Can't decide which is worse - tantalizing glimpse of the ice, or 8 hours in a high school auditorium in December.

I went thru the Level 1 clinic last weekend. The classroom stuff was good, at least for someone who has no real coaching experience (me). It was geared more towards levels above U8 I thought, which was fine. ALot of real world situation advice and stories from coaches of comp teams, boys and girls. ONe of the big things I got was just how short an attention span today's kids have. They are truly becoming a part of the instant gratification, iphone zombie world, just like their parents. Basically, the idea was that you have about 20 or 30 seconds of their attention and then you'd better move on or you will lose them.

I was pleasantly surprised with the on-ice portion. 1.5 hours of skating, passing and stick handling drills and instruction, with a good instructor. The reminder of fundamentals was good, but even better was seeing a practice from the position of the kids. I hadnt experienced that since I was a kid and it was eye opening. How easy it can be to get confused when given multiple levels of direction at once. It was a good time, with future coaches of all different skating ability.

Overall, it was 40 bucks well spent. Now onto the online module and safesport stuff....

I think it depends on where you are, and what your instructor wants to do. For my levels 1 and 2 there was on ice for an hour (give or take.) It's nothing to worry about, there's no pass or fail. In my group we had a couple of guys who could barely skate as well as a few ex pros. While a couple of the guys might have been a bit embarrassed, they still got their certification at the end of the day, and it was all good fun.