Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norsktorsk

help with switching curve: sakic/p3 to drury/p6

I am looking for some advice from people who use what used to be easton's drury, or similar curves, an have experience with the various clones and variations. I am particular about details, as I know many of us are, and I am interested in the differences as to what is available now, since I cannot get my hands on too many of these in person. Big curves and toe curves seem to be pretty popular these days.

I am seeing a lot of clones with a lot of subtle differences.

easton p6 is almost a mid curve, slightly open, farily round curve, fairly round toe.

bauer p91a is a wedge, starts very early, and less curve. more like an open p9

ccm/rbk p36a is almost a blend of easton p3 and p6

warrior w05 kovalev is pretty close to easton p6, maybe a bit more of a wedge

warrior p12 wisniewski looks really close, but with a square toe (which i dont mind)

sherwood has quite a few that are close pp10, 20, 26, 61, but 20 which should be closest (labeled "DR") is more like a wedge than a curve

I could go on, but these seem like the most popular brands and options. If anyone has experience with these, i would appreciate some input as to what is closest to easton p6 in other brands. I do most like the looks of warrior w12 and sherwood pp61, as they are a bit more curved like my old favorite p3 type curve.

My history with these curves...

The short version:

I used p3 as a shooter's curve and had a lot of success with it. Lately my style of play has changed a little and I find myself missing the net all the time, especially high and left (right hand shot) when shooting hard. p6 blade has helped a lot lately, and i'm shooting well and stickhandling a lot better.

The long version:

I started playing ice several years ago (after high school) with a sakic curve (on a chrome and blue colored synergy SL) after years of roller hockey with a jagr or lemieux (all time favorite) curve. I played well with the sakic for a long time, and when that stick broke (3 years maybe) I got into a sakic wood blade on a synthesis shaft.

shortly after, i got a warrior dolomite with a draper curve, a little more exaggerated than the sakic, and the 2-piece became my backup stick. for some reason, i used the backup in a game and broke the wood blade, so i went online and bought 3 more. the ones that came were all marked p3 sakic, but were actually drury curves, just mislabeled. turned out to be a happy accident, since i am loving them now.

with my backup sticks an unfamiliar curve, i was looking for a new stick, and my dolomite could become a backup. i ended up finding a kronik on clearance, same curve and flex as my dolomite, so i got it an had been using it happily for a few years. but recently i have been playing a bit differently, and i have not been in love with it like i was.

i decided to try the drury curve again, wood blade in the synthesis shaft, and had been playing really well with it. it cured my shooting problems, and i was stickhandling with it really well. thinking about it, the blade reminded me a lot of the old lemieux i had.

so now i want to try a modern one-piece with a comparable curve, or get ready with a replacement blade for when my last wood blade breaks. I know i like the easton p6, but i do not like a lot of the clones. the only one i can find in local shops (around Boston) with any regularity is the bauer p91a, which is a lot more of a wedge and not curved enough, and with a different profile and longer too. the warrior options look great, but not very available.

without hunting these down, i would love some input from compassionate drury-curve lovers.

also, thanks for reading the whole post, if you did. i hope the long version helps, but ill be happy to provide

any other info about me that could help.

Hey bud, I've used a bunch Drury clones and they are all pretty much the same except for the LIE.

Bauer P91A

RBK P36A

CCM P15

EASTON P6

WARRIOR W05

SHERWOOD PP20

The Warrior W12 Pavelski/Wisniewski probably would suit you best if you like the way you shoot with the P3 and stick handle with the P91A/ CLONES. The W12 does have a "semi" square toe, its a flat face with rounded corners. The only thing I believe will take you some time adjusting is the LIE of the blade because the W12 is a LIE4 where as the P3, p91a and clones are anywhere from a LIE 5-6, so your hands will definitely be lower to ice. If you'd like i can take a picture of the bauer p91 and rbk p36a up against the W12 so you have an idea of what it looks like and compare them.

You can add the CCM Galchenyuk (P15), the True HCR, and STX X91 to that comprehensive list above of Drury clones. Problem for the OP is he's in an area where E3/P92 and P88 curves are most popular and a lot of the shops stock very few heel curves.

mojo: exactly. I went to the big mokeysports store today, and it was nice to see the true and stx sticks there. but barely any heel curves. almost everything that most stores stock is a lindros, or a sakic, or a wacky toe curve. and if it is a heel curve, its just a wedge like the p91a.

pantallica: thanks for the input on the w12, the lie probably wouldnt be good for me, as i often feel like i have a hard time with the puck close to my feet. im 6'2" and use stock length, or slightly shorter

notsktorsk: If you like to keep the puck closer to your feet you can check out the Bauer P02... its a lie 7 I believe and i feel it shoot just as good with that as i do with the P91. Might be in your interest as it is a Heel but with more of a mid twist in it. I also have this pattern if you would like to see that in a pic as well.

a pic of that would be great. on the curve charts it look too much like a lidstrom for me

It's an exact clone of a lidstrom, just with a higher Lie. i will post pics in a little bit.

Good luck finding Drury curves anywhere. Seems like they are harder and harder to find.

This. And P91a/Kovalev/Drury have all lined up exactly the same and play exactly the same for me over the past 10+ years using the pattern.

Good luck finding Drury curves anywhere. Seems like they are harder and harder to find.

This. And P91a/Kovalev/Drury have all lined up exactly the same and play exactly the same for me over the past 10+ years using the pattern.

Even in hockey centric markets (the Greater Toronto Area), the only way i can get my hands on one of these badboys is through a special order.

And with Easton stopping production on this curve, your options become that much smaller.
I pray nightly to the hockey gods that Warrior NEVER stops making this curve, because i am head over heels in love with my Dynasty's..

Another one worth discussing is the Bauer P106. It's is a strange P92/P91 mix. It is a heel curve like the P91 but has a deeper curve and twist like the P92. Less common is the Bauer P72 style, it's a little deeper and has a little lower loft than the P91, but I found it to be a very comfortable curve.