Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MThockeydad

Digital SLR's

Squirts (my '03s team last season) had their annual Jamboree and had 7 teams from Canada down, and won their first ever game against a Canadian team.

Animated .gif of a Squirt taking a hard goal shot and launching himself off his feet.

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/MT4Runner/media/Hockey%202014/Ronnie-Goal_zps6o38ytrb.gif.html

IMG_2698_zps7399bfb6.jpg

IMG_2907_zps470bf7ba.jpg

IMG_2864_zpsb294b335.jpg

IMG_2506_zpse0801f1a.jpg

IMG_2481_zpsff64c9d2.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm late to the party. I'm currently shooting hockey (whenever I'm not playing or reffing) in Singapore.

I'm using a mix of Nikon D4, D300s and Leica M9.

On the Nikons I use the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 mainly, and on the Leica a 50mm f2.

Here are some shots, more can be found at my photo website. Comments welcome!

da4484fdce3811d360662d85a15be98d.jpg

98940894d3ccf092f8a9529b6a66b86d.jpg

25f0bdb8eb5fc76577d17b33a6bc3046.jpg

d7684f315cd37ed17f82ab70c3612ba9.jpg

Those overhead shots are captivating, Leon! Catwalk access?

I shot mine standing on a goal next to our outdoor rink. :)

Actually our rink is in a shopping mall, so it's just a matter of taking the elevator up one level!

So much great work popping up in this thread! Keep it up everyone! I almost wish I didn't play and coach so much so that I could photograph more.

When I was coaching, I really missed getting all the pictures....as did my kids and their teammates.

That said, forgot to pack my camera bag when we left for Sun Valley last weekend..... When they were setting up for their banner pic after winning the tournament, the coach(a friend) looked at me with a "really?" look....

One of my recent favorites.... Posted elsewhere on this site, but always worth another look....

imagejpg1_zpsf03df7e5.jpg

Squirts (my '03s team last season) had their annual Jamboree and had 7 teams from Canada down, and won their first ever game against a Canadian team.

Man, you sure can't complain about that little guy getting too little weight transfer into that shot! That was an awesome string of shots.

Hi everyone, I'm late to the party. I'm currently shooting hockey (whenever I'm not playing or reffing) in Singapore.

I'm using a mix of Nikon D4, D300s and Leica M9.

On the Nikons I use the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 mainly, and on the Leica a 50mm f2.

Here are some shots, more can be found at my photo website. Comments welcome!

Those are nice pictures, especially the one with the guy in mid shot.

Is it just me or are the boards at this arena really high?

Those are nice pictures, especially the one with the guy in mid shot.

Is it just me or are the boards at this arena really high?

Thanks. The boards are normal height, i think it's a combination of perspective (not all shots were from ice level) and the lower average height in Asia.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will give you the speed you need, and is a standard in event, sports, street, and almost all other kinds of photography. Looks great wide open, and even better at a f/4.

If you can manage to get a full-frame sensor camera too, that will help with the noise at high ISOs.

Otherwise, with primes and an APS-C sensor, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 are great and inexpensive.

Howdy,

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will give you the speed you need, and is a standard in event, sports, street, and almost all other kinds of photography. Looks great wide open, and even better at a f/4.

If you can manage to get a full-frame sensor camera too, that will help with the noise at high ISOs.

Otherwise, with primes and an APS-C sensor, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 are great and inexpensive.

The other thing that matters re: noise is modern vs. older bodies. I waited a while to upgrade from my Canon Rebel XT (350D) and when I finally did a couple years back the Rebel T4i I got to replace it was a quantum leap forward in "iso you can use before noise intrudes"... I went from not wanting to go beyond 400 iso to now being able to use 1600 with impunity. Particularly for stationary subjects (which decidedly does not apply to hockey....) it felt like I could now take shots in a cave! :-) And this was a pretty basic consumer level body!

I'll put in a plug for APS-C sensor sizes too... They give you a boost to effective zoom that can be pretty handy. The 70-200 on an APS-C sensor has an equivalent zoom range of 112-320 as compared to a full frame sensor camera.

But... Different strokes for different folks on all this stuff, at least to some extent.

Mark

As soon as I have money for it, I'm switching from DSLR to full frame mirrorless. I've never been super satisfied with my 7D, so the time is right for me.

When you do, sell me your 7D SUPER CHEAP.....

I'm still shooting with a 30D...

image_zpst9oznvwp.jpeg

image_zpszn1ljr9f.jpeg

Just bought a Tamron 70-200 2.8.  Looking forward to taking better indoor photos.

I've really liked the Tamron 18-270 superzoom, but it's only an f/5.6 lens at the brightest.

What is everyone going to use for hosting forum photos now that Photobucket wants to all our images hostage?

40 minutes ago, MThockeydad said:

Just bought a Tamron 70-200 2.8.  Looking forward to taking better indoor photos.

I've really liked the Tamron 18-270 superzoom, but it's only an f/5.6 lens at the brightest.

What is everyone going to use for hosting forum photos now that Photobucket wants to all our images hostage?

Those Tamron 70-200's have gotten some great reviews, they (Tamron) has really come a long way in the past 5+ years in overall quality of their lenses and now join Sigma in terms of posing some serious threats to the big 2 of Nikon and Canon.  Best of luck with it, I thin you'll really enjoy it.

As for hosting, I still have a Flickr account although it rarely gets used anymore (I mainly share to friends on FB or host on my website for business reasons like weddings and events and what not), mainly use Flickr to upload/host things I'm selling elsewhere.  They have changed their terms of service over the past few years but I'm pretty sure they still have a free option which gives you the high quality of a normal account but with a limit to storage I believe.  The best part about Flickr is they don't compress your images and make them look like crap (photobucket was notorious for this), also they make it simple to share on forums by giving you easy codes for embedding.

1 hour ago, MThockeydad said:

Nice!  I pulled the trigger on a used 7D a bit back.

Taking me a while to get use to processing stuff on my Mac, which I switched to around the same time, from a PC.

3 hours ago, EJB said:

Nice!  I pulled the trigger on a used 7D a bit back.

Taking me a while to get use to processing stuff on my Mac, which I switched to around the same time, from a PC.

I refuse to switch to Mac for this reason haha (and also since it would cost so much more $$ to get the same performance)