Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circa6683

Bauer Vaper x70 vs Bauer Supreme 170 skates

If you had a choice which line would you chose? Or which line do you prefer? I've read the reviews, watched videos on both lines of skates. But Id like to get some real perspective from players that have used or tried them.

Supreme does have a wider forefoot. I have a flat foot, so can't give you too much help in the arch area, but consensus is that Supreme is wider through the middle of the foot as well. I'll also say that, for my money, I think the 170 is a better built skate than the X70. The 170 tech mesh quarter is more durable than the tech nylon on the Vapor. The 170 boot on a squeeze test was also a good bit stiffer than the X70.

I skate on Supreme One.7s (pre-170) and couldn't be happier. Most comfortable skate I've ever worn and got it at a great price. All that said, I agree with dkmiller. You need to pick the skate that best fits your foot. I'd recommend hitting up a local hockey store to try on skates or if that's not possible, at least go to a dick's sporting goods or something similar to get a feel for what the lower end skates in each line fit like. It's harder to get a feel for width because the softer materials make it so a lot of skates are comfortable width-wise, but it'll give you a good sense of whether you need more or less depth for your instep and what length skate to buy.

If Vapors end up as the best fit, look for deals on the last generation. A lot of shops have old stock lying around and are selling at steep discounts. My local store had an X5.0 (X70 equivalent but more durable) on sale for 180.