Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingofnooyork

Stick Flex in the NHL

I've been using 85-87 Flex for a few years now. Myself being on the large size for a hockey player (6'2" 230lbs) was wondering how common it is in the nhl for players to drop down to the 70's on stick flex. And if so; would it increase power on snap/wrist shots? Just trying gauge if there's any benefits to dropping down. My shot is very hard now but cant help wondering if there's some untapped quickness/power i'm missing out on with an 80's flex.

This video explains flex pretty well (one thing that is not mentioned is how your weight will impact the recommended flexibility, so see below for more details):

This *guide* can help you figure out what flex MIGHT be good for you:

• Take ½ of your weight to find a base flex for you
  • Add +7 flex if you do a lot slap shots
  • And +7 flex if you're strong/have excellent technique
  • Or -7 flex if you do a lot of wrist shots/snap shots
  • And -7 flex if you're still learning how to shoot/don't have great technique
  • For every 2 inches cut off, that's +5 flex to the shaft (however, some older sticks, have a "free-flex cut zone" where you can cut up 3 inches before you change the flex)

Most NHL players will have between 80-112 flex (this range will most likely shift upward due to cutting down for height and preference--for example, Crosby uses a 100 flex stick, but cuts it down to above his clavicle, so it's most likely a stiffer flex).

281545414174732268_8tAQNjl3_f.jpg

You'll occasionally see a lower flex here and there, but not likely. To give you an example, a certain website offers pro stock sticks and as you'll notice, most are lefties and fall between 90+...

KgsAyao.jpg

So, to answer your question... if you use a stick in the 70's, you'll most likely find that the stick is loosing too much power and/or breaking too fast. As is, based on your weight, you'll most likely want a stick in the 100s to gain maximum load to weight transfer. I'd imagine that if you were to use a 95 flex, you'll probably notice a difference... in that you'll have an even harder shot! BUT, it's all personal preference, so whatever tickles your pickle.

Not a ton of NHL'ers are using flex ratings in the 70's. But that should not determine what you use as NHL players are usually in peak physical condition and therefore may use something stiffer because of their size/strength. I believe there is a video of Briere explaining how he starts off with stiffer sticks at the start of the season and works his way softer and softer as the year goes on (and as his strength weakens from the season).

There are a few players who use whippier sticks. Bret Hull was one legend that comes to mind, but more recent players would be those like Kessel and Ovechkin. Then there are oddities of players who are smaller and like stiffer sticks. I think one of the Gionta brothers uses sticks over 100 flex.

What pro's used growing up and what feels comfortable to them usually determines things like this.

If you use 80's now and it works, then stick with it. If you have the financial means to do so, maybe buy a 75-flex stick and see if you like it. If you get a common enough pattern and stick - you should be able to resell it online if you don't like it.

I am of similar size to you (6'1, 250), but play a different game (roller hockey, primarily taking slap shots). I have tried 85 flex before, but did not care for it. 100-112 is my sweet spot, but I am adding 4-5 inches of length onto the stick - so they end up playing closer to the mid-90's when I add length.

I have seen a few Crosby sticks online and in person. They all were 100 flex. 87 Flex is a Bauer flex, he uses Reebok.

Not a ton of NHL'ers are using flex ratings in the 70's. But that should not determine what you use as NHL players are usually in peak physical condition and therefore may use something stiffer because of their size/strength. I believe there is a video of Briere explaining how he starts off with stiffer sticks at the start of the season and works his way softer and softer as the year goes on (and as his strength weakens from the season).

There are a few players who use whippier sticks. Bret Hull was one legend that comes to mind, but more recent players would be those like Kessel and Ovechkin. Then there are oddities of players who are smaller and like stiffer sticks. I think one of the Gionta brothers uses sticks over 100 flex.

What pro's used growing up and what feels comfortable to them usually determines things like this.

If you use 80's now and it works, then stick with it. If you have the financial means to do so, maybe buy a 75-flex stick and see if you like it. If you get a common enough pattern and stick - you should be able to resell it online if you don't like it.

I am of similar size to you (6'1, 250), but play a different game (roller hockey, primarily taking slap shots). I have tried 85 flex before, but did not care for it. 100-112 is my sweet spot, but I am adding 4-5 inches of length onto the stick - so they end up playing closer to the mid-90's when I add length.

87 is his number that's why you see that on his sticks. But he uses a 100 flex stick. Such a straight curve too, explains that backhand.

79687cf9.jpg

honestly, finding the right flex for you is more about what works for the mechanics of the way you shoot than it is about your height and weight. say what you want about different flexes being better for different types of shots, but i have found that if you get the right flex for you, it doesnt matter all that much. i can get a harder slapshot with a 70 something than most of the cats around here playing with 90+ and im 6'2" and 170 something soaking wet. again, the numbers arent all that important except for finding what works for you and sticking with that

This video explains flex pretty well (one thing that is not mentioned is how your weight will impact the recommended flexibility, so see below for more details):

• For every 2 inches cut off, that's +5 flex to the shaft (however, some older sticks, have a "free-flex cut zone" where you can cut up 3 inches before you change the flex)

Most NHL players will have between 80-112 flex (this range will most likely shift upward due to cutting down for height and preference--for example, Crosby uses a 100 flex stick, but cuts it down to above his clavicle, so it's most likely a stiffer flex).

281545414174732268_8tAQNjl3_f.jpg

You'll occasionally see a lower flex here and there, but not likely. To give you an example, a certain website offers pro stock sticks and as you'll notice, most are lefties and fall between 90+...

KgsAyao.jpg

So, to answer your question... if you use a stick in the 70's, you'll most likely find that the stick is loosing too much power and/or breaking too fast. As is, based on your weight, you'll most likely want a stick in the 100s to gain maximum load to weight transfer. I'd imagine that if you were to use a 95 flex, you'll probably notice a difference... in that you'll have an even harder shot! BUT, it's all personal preference, so whatever tickles your pickle.

Thanks, these are super informative.

I used to use an Easton S19 100 i think. It did feel like some of my shots were harder. The reason i think i lean more towards the softer sticks is i can get a lot of pace on the puck without having to properly load the stick all the time. The info shared above actually makes me want to try the stiffer flex. (They tend to be available more often on sale as well)

I had used 80/85 flex sticks long time.

I'm not tall, just 170cm.

Of course it's better way to think from NHL players but finally we should choose one's stick by oneself.

For example I wrote I had used 85flex for long time though, it was like Martin St.Louis.

I cut the stick at my eye or eyeblow wearing skates.

And I used Roenick pattern with it.

That is slightly opened graceful heel curve.

Then now I'm using 65flex with cutting at chin.

It is like Phil Kessel.

He also cut his 75~85flex stick at the same point.

But he is taller than me about 15cm.

If I really want to get the same flex as him, I have to use 60 or 55flex sticks for me.

But unfortunately 65flex is the lowest option of Easton custom order.

Then also I changed blade pattern as more big angle for down flex.

I think these are just difference of shooting skills.

For example, Crosby and Ovechkin, Crosby uses very short cut 100flex stick and slightly curved blade.

But Ovechkin uses roughly 80flex stick cut at around shoulder and veeery toe curved blade.

Crosby hardly uses flex when he shots.

He shots with narrow bottom and top hands stance, touch the ice and puck at forward area from leg or body, that's like "chip".

So he loves hardest stick and straight blade pattern.

Ovechkin uses very flex shot.

Flex shot needs more blade angle.

If you use straight pattern blade like Crosby on the low flex stick for your power and weight, the puck will go to fly.

Push the top hand forward and we often touch the ice on the backward to get flex.

Easy to imagine Ovechking's shooting.

So, Finally we should choose what shooting is better for oneself.

I can't think about the stick with only one's tall, power or weight.

it's the same thing finally we choose our shooting method.

I've been using 85-87 Flex for a few years now. Myself being on the large size for a hockey player (6'2" 230lbs) was wondering how common it is in the nhl for players to drop down to the 70's on stick flex. And if so; would it increase power on snap/wrist shots? Just trying gauge if there's any benefits to dropping down. My shot is very hard now but cant help wondering if there's some untapped quickness/power i'm missing out on with an 80's flex.

I disagree with a lot of the "information" that was posted in this topic.

However, I do want to address a couple things. Going to a lighter flex will rarely, if ever, result in more power, unless you are using a stick that is far too stiff. A lighter flex can make it easier to flex the stick and release the shot, and you will get more power in your shot if you are only using that amount of strength on the stiffer stick, but it will be less power than flexing the stiffer stick the same amount. If you have a hard shot now, there is likely little benefit for you in dropping down in flex, though it never hurts to try something different.

I'd used 85 flex since I was about 15 up until this past summer. I traded for a pair of sticks, one a 77 and the other an 87. After using the 77 I realized how much less effort I had to put into shooting, yet still getting the same (if not better) results. I've found the harder I try to shoot, the worse the shot is. It's all about letting the stick do the work for you. I have gone back to the 85/87 flex a number of times and it takes a good deal of playing around with to get used to again.

There's down sides to lower flexes for sure however. It's very noticeable when battling for a puck, or catching a pass or even just stick handling. I noticed that depending on the flex profile, it really dictates how difficult it is to one-time pucks. With the low kick 77 I have I needed to drop my hands just a but lower then with an 87 and let it fly. With the mid kick 75 flex tacks I have I find it extremely difficult to get a hold of hard passes and getting off quick one-timers.

As was said numerous times above it really comes down to how you shoot and if you can make the little adjustments to get a flex to work for you.

I moved from a 75 flex CUT down 2 inches or so to a 60 Flex intermediate and i have noticed a huge difference going to the lower flex. With the stiffer stick I was trying to hard and my shot suffered, gone to an intermediate and my shots get off extremely quick in comparison. I can feel the intermediate flexing when i shoot and even on harder passed where as the 75 flex cut down I can't feel the stick flex.

I much prefer a whippy stick!

I tried going from an 87 Totalone to a 75 Mako. I wasn't a fan. My snapshots improved, but everything else was worse. Slapshots were slower, and stick handling had a delay/recoil. Receiving passes was especially difficult. The puck would flex the stick, resulting in it going under the blade. Drove me nuts. YMMV.

So it sounds as though there are 2 polarizing aspects (for most people) when it comes to stick flex...Whippier the stick is, the easier it is to get velocity quickly without a proper load/setup. Stiffer the stick you'll get more power (if you can bend it) and better stick handling. I was definitely surprised to hear that the 75 and below crowd in the NHL is the minority. This stuff is great to know. Definitely considering a stiffer flex now instead of dropping down.

Keep in mind that the NHL guys are bigger and stronger than most of us, and have much better technique...

Keep in mind that the NHL guys are bigger and stronger than most of us, and have much better technique...

Yeah for sure. This is kind of why i started the thread about NHL flex. I'm probably average or a little above average in size of an NHL player. 6'2" 230. Probably 20lbs of chub tho! Would not recommend a 100+ flex for anyone under 180lbs.

Yeah, the average NHL player is roughly 6'1" 205 pounds. Most of those guys are solid muscle though, ha!

I normally recommend a softer stick for beginners, so that they can learn to load a stick properly.

As your technique advances, try stiffer sticks. There's more benefits to using a stiffer stick at that level vs a noodle

just a couple of things, for retail sticks the sticks flex changes about 5 flex for every INCH, so a two inch change in stick length is about a 10 flex change rating.

and be wary about those "flex free zone" sticks. yes you can cut it 3 inches and it will be the same flex as listed on the stick but if you dont cut all of it away or use it at full length, it will play softer than the listed flex

So it sounds as though there are 2 polarizing aspects (for most people) when it comes to stick flex...Whippier the stick is, the easier it is to get velocity quickly without a proper load/setup. Stiffer the stick you'll get more power (if you can bend it) and better stick handling. I was definitely surprised to hear that the 75 and below crowd in the NHL is the minority. This stuff is great to know. Definitely considering a stiffer flex now instead of dropping down.

I don't think that is accurate, as it takes longer to load a more flexible stick. If you are tight to the net, you aren't going to fully load a stick, you are going to chip it. A whippier stick allows you to load the stick easier/faster, that's it. It has nothing to do with the release or velocity, especially at the NHL level as this topic refers.

just a couple of things, for retail sticks the sticks flex changes about 5 flex for every INCH, so a two inch change in stick length is about a 10 flex change rating.

That is not accurate in my experience.

I don't think that is accurate, as it takes longer to load a more flexible stick. If you are tight to the net, you aren't going to fully load a stick, you are going to chip it. A whippier stick allows you to load the stick easier/faster, that's it. It has nothing to do with the release or velocity, especially at the NHL level as this topic refers.

That is not accurate in my experience.

yes you are correct, it is every two inches, my mistake