Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingofnooyork

Stick Flex in the NHL

Ovi's been slowly moving up the flex chart since the CCM days lol... Some of his early Bauer twigs were stamped 79 & 82.

the latest

$_57.JPG

A Malkin TO NXG I seen recently was 102.

I work directly with 75 Professional teams. I would say that on average one player per team uses a stick below 85 flex.  The vast majority use 90-100 flex.  Tall players, in particular defense sometimes use 105-120.  It is a bit of a misconception that you will get a harder shot by going with a lower flex.  Retail wants you to think that a lower flex is best so that they can offer less variants on stick selection.  For example 75 flex can work for teenagers, women, and men's league guys.  

On 4/13/2017 at 10:50 AM, hockeystickman said:

Retail wants you to think that a lower flex is best so that they can offer less variants on stick selection.  For example 75 flex can work for teenagers, women, and men's league guys.  

Wait, so the need for lower flex sticks is a marketing tactic made up by the industry to reduce stock options? 

And who's buying sticks at retail that  isn't a teenager, woman, or men's league player? That's essentially the entire population of people who purchase adult sticks. 

On 4/13/2017 at 10:50 AM, hockeystickman said:

I work directly with 75 Professional teams. I would say that on average one player per team uses a stick below 85 flex.  The vast majority use 90-100 flex.  Tall players, in particular defense sometimes use 105-120.  It is a bit of a misconception that you will get a harder shot by going with a lower flex.  Retail wants you to think that a lower flex is best so that they can offer less variants on stick selection.  For example 75 flex can work for teenagers, women, and men's league guys.  

I respect the work you do but I think that the way you wrote that is misleading. The incredibly vast number of players benefit more from a flex of 74-85 as opposed to 90-100.  The number of players who can play to an AHL/NHL/QMJHL level and develop the torque needed to to flex and use a 100 flex point stick is so minuscule.  

Sorry - I missed the page from my long time friend Marz.

There has been a trend shift to more flex with pro players.  The stiffer is better, more durable, stronger thinking has been shifting.  

I'm not the expert, but we interviewed our expert, Jared, on our podcast - you can hear it from the guy that manages all the specs for all our players in the league.  He's our Pro Stick Doctor - if a player has a spec crisis or needs help figuring something out, he's the technical guy that our reps call in to help.  Skip to the 11min mark if you don't want to listen to DT and I set up the story.

https://soundcloud.com/warriorhockeypodcast/warrior-hockey-season-3-pro-sticks-with-jared-quartuccio

On 12/1/2014 at 3:08 PM, Gefiltefish said:

Not a ton of NHL'ers are using flex ratings in the 70's. But that should not determine what you use as NHL players are usually in peak physical condition and therefore may use something stiffer because of their size/strength. I believe there is a video of Briere explaining how he starts off with stiffer sticks at the start of the season and works his way softer and softer as the year goes on (and as his strength weakens from the season).

There are a few players who use whippier sticks. Bret Hull was one legend that comes to mind, but more recent players would be those like Kessel and Ovechkin. Then there are oddities of players who are smaller and like stiffer sticks. I think one of the Gionta brothers uses sticks over 100 flex.

What pro's used growing up and what feels comfortable to them usually determines things like this.

If you use 80's now and it works, then stick with it. I you have the financial means to do so, maybe buy a 75-flex stick and see if you like it. If you get a common enough pattern and stick - you should be able to resell it online if you don't like it.

I am of similar size to you (6'1, 250), but play a different game (roller hockey, primarily taking slap shots). I have tried 85 flex before, but did not care for it. 100-112 is my sweet spot, but I am adding 4-5 inches of length onto the stick - so they end up playing closer to the mid-90's when I add length.

Just commenting on Brett Hull, have you guys seen his one timer goal in the 96' (I believe) world cup game?  Absolute rocket of a shot, using a whip flex back in the 90's.  It's all about knowing how to use your stick to your advantage.  As far as personal preference goes, I use a variety of flexes depending on how I'm playing.  If I'm on defense I prefer a stiffer flex (100-120) for puck battles and shots from the point.  When playing forward I like lighter flexes (65-70ish) for a quicker release.  I also use 85 flex sticks as well.  Sometimes I start out a game with a heavier flex and work my way down to a lighter flex towards the end of the game as fatigue sets in.  It's all personal preference and practice, lots of practice.  Years ago I used only 100+ flex sticks, as I preferred the stiffer shaft while stick handling, but my wrist shots and snap shots were really lacking because I wasn't able to put a lot of weight into my shots quickly.  A few shoulder injuries and a hip injury, now I use mostly lighter flexes when playing, but still go back to stiffer flexes when playing defense occasionally.  I'm 5'9" and my weight as an adult playing has varied from 155-195lbs (currently at 180lbs).  No harm in trying out a lighter flex just to see what kind of changes happen, but I suggest only going down one flex rating (maybe 75) and seeing if that works.  If you drop from 85-87 to 65-67 it might be too whippy for you and you won't like it.

Pro Stock Hockey is a good source to see the stick flexes of different players:

https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-sticks/

I think length (which seems to be anywhere between 59-64)", how much a player ends up cutting down his stick, and how much you will cut the stick down, all have to be considered. I am yet to buy a stick from PSH, but I have been close. I am 6'2, 210 lbs, mostly play Forward in a retail 85 flex STX Surgeon RX2.1 that I cut significantly down. I have a 75 flex also, that I also cut significantly down, but the 75 flex is too whippy for me. I only notice this when I play against good players and lean into my stick more. When I am just messing around/ shooting around/ off ice, the 75 feels perfect. The 85 flex seems to be perfect for me, for actual real on ice games. I read that the RX2s are whippier than other sticks.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Cosmic said:

Pro Stock Hockey is a good source to see the stick flexes of different players:

https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-sticks/

I think length (which seems to be anywhere between 59-64)", how much a player ends up cutting down his stick, and how much you will cut the stick down, all have to be considered. I am yet to buy a stick from PSH, but I have been close. I am 6'2, 210 lbs, mostly play Forward in a retail 85 flex STX Surgeon RX2.1 that I cut significantly down. I have a 75 flex also, that I also cut significantly down, but the 75 flex is too whippy for me. I only notice this when I play against good players and lean into my stick more. When I am just messing around/ shooting around/ off ice, the 75 feels perfect. The 85 flex seems to be perfect for me, for actual real on ice games. I read that the RX2s are whippier than other sticks.

I've used the same reference whenever I'm curious to see what people are using. Length definitely comes into play.