Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

My impatience got the better of me and I ordered 14" Surgeons shin guards online without trying them on. Shops around me either weren't getting them, or weren't sure when they were getting them. I'm 5'9" 170lbs and I think I have fairly big calves. I'm currently in 15" TotalOnes which I thought fit pretty good, but they were sliding around on me occasionally. I also thought the TotalOnes are pretty bulky and I was looking for something less bulky. So my first impression on the Surgeons was that they weren't as deep as my TotalOnes. In my old shins, I don't really have to stretch the calf straps to get them around my calves, and the pad basically wraps around my entire calf.

The Surgeons were much more shallow I thought, and the calf straps barely stretched around my calves. I like the feel of the 360 wraps, but I can imagine the 2 foot strap getting annoying in my bag. The liner is removable, and the material feels comfortable, but HOT and not very breathable (Maybe this is because they're much more snug than my old shins?). The pads have 2 vents in the outer shell so maybe being in the rink and skating around will be better for this. I have roller on Saturday which there is no way I will wear these, but I have ice on Sunday so I'll give an update after that.

Also, I was in 15" TotalOnes which I thought were maybe borderline too big and wanted to downsize. When I got these 14" shins, the outer shell was actually bigger than my TotalOnes, but the overall height of the TotalOnes is larger with the thigh guard. Another thing, the thigh guard on the Surgeons might be perfect height for me that they get stuck on my pants every time I bend my knees.

I ordered the Stallion Shoulders that arrived today. They look and really protective almost like a hybrid of lacrosse pads and hockey pads. More like a lacrosse pad tailored for hockey honestly which I am really happy about. They have a very dense feel to the padding and the sternum and spine guards have high-def polymers and plastics that seem like they can definitely absorb quite a bit of punishment. The shoulder caps are a little big but no overly so but consist of the same padding and materials as the rest of the pad. Overall fit is nice with a lot of extra room to either tighten up or loosen the side straps to adjust the fit to your preference. I still have yet to try them out on the ice but as of right now I'm really impressed with the pads

How have the Stallion shoulders been so far? It seems that most people that tried the STX line at Winterfest preferred the Surgeon line.

How have the Stallion shoulders been so far? It seems that most people that tried the STX line at Winterfest preferred the Surgeon line.

Used the shoulders 3 times over the last week (1 game, and 2 stick times). The pads have been great so far. They have a fairly low profile, that said I'm coming from a set of warrior dynasty shoulders which I use as my comparison, and I hardly noticed them throughout the times I was wearing. As I mentioned in my first post they seemed pretty solid when it came to the protection level and so far they have lived up to it.

I splurged and got Surgeon 500 elbows and shins.

They came in yesterday, but I have not had a chance to use them.

I was real reluctant since I usually use very simple, mid-range protective gear. I am using Bauer Supreme One.6 (or older variations of the same model) right now.... The LHS I also use opted not to carry STX either, so I reluctantly had to order online. I just wanted to try something different and all the hype sold me.

I will do a full write up after a month or so of use but here are some of my initial thoughts.

Elbows:

-Fairly lightweight for such a "busy" and protective pad.

-Very flexible. You can literally ball them up in your hands!
-A little tricky to get into. The comfort sleeve does its job once they are on (as does the grip print), but it takes some careful jostling to get in them. Reminds me a bit of my CCM V10's from years ago.
-Very comfortable once on. Much less restrictive and noticeable than my current pads.

-The straps are hardly needed. The 360 strap pretty much secures the slash guard. The strap on top just needs to be fastened so its out of he way. It secures nothing really. I bought a medium pad though and am between large/medium - so maybe the pad is slightly too small for me, which means the straps do very little.

Shins:

-First thing I noticed was the lack of any ridges on the pad. Odd. Never have seen that. Its pretty much a piece of curved plastic with no ridges.
-Next thing I noticed is that it appears there is no gap between the exterior plastic shell and the interior foam. No "suspension" or anything like that. Again, odd.

-Next up was putting them on. The 360 strap is magical, I love it. The lower calf-strap though seemed a little short though. It took a lot of effort to get it to connect to the velcro. I dont think I have huge calves either.I will say that it may stretch over time and right now these are about as secure as Fort Knox! No tape will be needed!!!

-Next up was the liner. Its not made of fabric. Its made of a thick padded foam with a lot of mesh inserts. It is very hot though. And the exterior of the pad has minimal air vents. This worries me as I play roller. I am very concerned they may end up being too hot.

If anyone wants any pictures or anything, let me know....

EDIT/Update: First game in the Surgeon 500 elbows and shins yesterday. Heat was not an issue with the shins. I felt no airflow difference between them and my One.6's. The Shins seem to run long though. Much more overlap on my skates than my Bauer 14" pads. Elbows were butter!

Edited by Gefiltefish

Does anyone have a release date for the STX Surgeon 300 Shoulder and Elbow pads? I had heard September, just curious if there is a hard date of when we can expect to see these in stores, if they will even be in stores? I could not find any STX 500 Protective gear in Los Angeles/ Orange County area this summer. HM told me they were online only items, and TH has these looking like online only as well.

Has anyone tried/used the STX Surgeon 500 gloves? I was able to try on a pair of pro stock STX Surgeon 500 that a buddy had picked up and the sizing seemed really off. The standard 14's fit like 13's and were really narrow but overall the glove seemed really well made.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback

Has anyone tried/used the STX Surgeon 500 gloves? I was able to try on a pair of pro stock STX Surgeon 500 that a buddy had picked up and the sizing seemed really off. The standard 14's fit like 13's and were really narrow but overall the glove seemed really well made.

I received a pair from STX in size 13'. I like my gloves incredible tight so these fit me perfectly!

I tried on some pro stocks over the summer, they seemed to fit a little smaller than the retail gloves. Pro stock has different gusset and I think the palm may be a little different as well. I've been using my retail Stallions for over a year, great glove.

I tried on some pro stocks over the summer, they seemed to fit a little smaller than the retail gloves. Pro stock has different gusset and I think the palm may be a little different as well. I've been using my retail Stallions for over a year, great glove.

Thanks Chadd. I appreciate the input. I recently saw these 500's http://www.prostockhockey.com/player-protective/gloves/15-stx-surgeon-500-gloves-fedor-tyutin-columbus-blue-jackets/on Pro Stock Hockey for a pretty good price. They're 15's though and I'm a 14 so I'm thinking they would fit but cant bring myself to pull the trigger. Look pretty sweet though. The gussets on the pro stock pair do look very similar to the retail but maybe a different/better material but the palm on the pro stock certainly looks like a pro palm.

Thanks Chadd. I appreciate the input. I recently saw these 500's http://www.prostockhockey.com/player-protective/gloves/15-stx-surgeon-500-gloves-fedor-tyutin-columbus-blue-jackets/on Pro Stock Hockey for a pretty good price. They're 15's though and I'm a 14 so I'm thinking they would fit but cant bring myself to pull the trigger. Look pretty sweet though. The gussets on the pro stock pair do look very similar to the retail but maybe a different/better material but the palm on the pro stock certainly looks like a pro palm.

None of the pro pairs that STX had at the warehouse had the retail gusset. If that pair does, they are not typical of pro stock STX gloves. At least that was my understanding after talking to the guys, I could be wrong.

Late to the party, I have a pair of Florida team stock Surgeon mitts.

They definitely fit small but not in a bad way; pretty tight from fingertip through the backhand up to the break of your wrist then they flare out for awesome mobility. Finger length is fine. My trouble with tighter fitting gloves is always the inside padding on the back of my hand and knuckles; non issue with the Surgeons, extremely comfortable gloves. My glove size is 14, my Surgeons are 14s as well, got used to them in no time at all. My buddy got the same pair, he wears 13s and he said the 14s fit him perfect.

Very happy with the Surgeons even though I generally prefer 4rolls.

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the surgeon elbow pads? I'm in between a small and medium. For reference I'm a small in bauer supreme elbows and a medium in the vapor line. I got no where to try them on locally.

Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the surgeon elbow pads? I'm in between a small and medium. For reference I'm a small in bauer supreme elbows and a medium in the vapor line. I got no where to try them on locally.

Thanks.

I was Large in CCM CL and they were short on me. Large in STX Surgeon 500 is perfect. I am 6'2, athletic build with arms that are proportional to height.

• Like 1