Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorsey24

Skate Question

I am looking to get a new set of skates. I am debating between the Bauer X60R or the Mission Inhaler DS:5. I know the Missions fit a little wider, now my question is, is the width difference a lot... Stupid side question but does your skates being 1/2 size too big make a huge difference...

End of the day you need to be comfortable.

The best size/fit depends on your personal preference, so you'll need to try both on the see what you like best!

I dare say it's just millimetres between widths but not really sure on that one.

I am not sure about Bauer or Mission fitting. I speak from recent experience that going up a 1/2 size with my Alkali RPD Team+ made a huge difference in a good way. My toes were too crunched in the toe box area in a 7.5, I switched up to an 8 an now am in heaven.

I am looking to get a new set of skates. I am debating between the Bauer X60R or the Mission Inhaler DS:5. I know the Missions fit a little wider, now my question is, is the width difference a lot... Stupid side question but does your skates being 1/2 size too big make a huge difference...

If you havent tried on some of the new alkalis, please do so.

They took the whole "getting the right width" skate out of the question. Essentially they come as a D width, and the are fully moldable to an EE width. I recently (2weeks ago) bought the Shift+... my god ive never had a skate which fits with so little wasted space.

In regards to your last question.. dont buy skates which are 1/2 size too big.. buy them the right size! your toes should brush the toe caps when you unlaced, then pull back when laced.

Have a look at inlinewarehouse for a fitting guide if you are unsure. Their videos pretty much settle all my questions.

Dorsey, as someone who skated Hi-Lo for 10+ years, the Alkali all 80mm setup did take a little time to get used to. However, after a couple of skates, I really appreciated the extra urethane and speed.

If it helps, i went from a hilo to the straight chassis on the alkalis last night (first session on them- i will do a review soon Justin). In all honesty.. so much better then the hilo. The pitch of the boot, really puts you on the front wheels, even more so then when you are on a hilo configuration.

Ps looks like all the people that replied to your thread, wear alkalis :P :D

I also came from a Hi-Lo configuration when I switched to Alkali. I had some Mission Heliums (hi-lo) prior to my Alkali RPD Team+ and it did take a little bit of adjusting, but your body will quickly adapt. Like Justin said, having that extra urethane down on the floor really helps with overall speed and grip. I wished I switched to Alkali much sooner, I have never had so much praise for a skate brand as much as I do for Alkali. (and this includes ice hockey skates, CCM, Bauer and more recently Graf).

Dorsey looling at the skates you were looking at i think the comp+ will be in your budget and maybe the team+ if you cant stretch out..

Im still getting used to my alkalis, but more then anything, im not used to having such sticky wheels!

I must say i found in quick turns, the stability of the skate is amazing. Im not talking about the grip, but more about the skate it self...like the forward pitch just feels very balanced as you turn. My missions in comparison felt like i was on my heels a bit, whereas the alks feel more neutral. Hard to explain...but i think the other alkali guys might knw what im saying

ok so now my interest is peaked with the Alkalis. I like the looks of the Team+ however I have found a place I can get a pair of CA5's. I know they are a previous model year my question would I be dissapointed with the CA5s over the Team+... The CAs are cheaper but I dont mind paying the price for the Team+... I know I will have to get different wheels no matter which ones, they both are way to soft.

Go with Team+ without a question. The chassis and last was changed from our original design, and it made a huge difference. Go with any model after the CA line of skates.

Justin obviously speaks the truth. I was offered last years shifts at a great price when the new rpd+ line was released. I chose to hold out for the shift+.

Justin and alkali clearly put a lot of developent into their skates and didnt just change cosmetics between each line. The new purlyn quarter and the liners in the new skates are quite an obvious "upgrades".. But ones which I feel help them longevity of the boot.

The team+ is a great price point skate, and comes with some serious hardware..If the budget allows, I don't think you will be disappointed at all for paying for skates which are a few months new to the market.

I have enough confidence to wear my shift + after 1 training session to wear the to tommorows two games (both 4x12min stop clock periods).

Justin obviously speaks the truth. I was offered last years shifts at a great price when the new rpd+ line was released. I chose to hold out for the shift+.

Justin and alkali clearly put a lot of developent into their skates and didnt just change cosmetics between each line. The new purlyn quarter and the liners in the new skates are quite an obvious "upgrades".. But ones which I feel help them longevity of the boot.

I agree, the new range with the inclusion of purlyn are much tougher visibly & to touch.

Feels like they have a super hard shell in comparison to previous models.

An old Australian slang applies, "Built like a brick sh*thouse!" very tough.

Just out of curiosity, what made you chose the XR3?

When I played 15-18 years ago I had a pair of Bauers and really liked them. Really liked the look and the reviews looked good... However, I ordered the size I previously had not knowing their sizing changed... so they are 1/2 too big. I have used them for about a year now and my feet do not slide around in them and dont really notice an issue... its moreso mental with me knowing they are a little too big

I saw a great deal on a pair of skates in my size. The only problem is that the width was EE. I bought them anyway and the extra width isn't an issue.