Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Getting back into the game

So after a 10 year hiatus I had the opportunity to join a Sunday AM group. A few observations from my first day back... 1) I'm out of shape 2) thinking you can play like you did when you are 23? Wrong! 3) bananas taste the same coming up as they did going down.

That said, for those of you who took some extended time off and returned to the game, any suggestions how not to be totally worthless on the ice? I know it's the first day back but I just seemed so off. Skating was awful, stride was choppy, awareness was crap, everything. I guess my expectations of myself were a little higher :/

Main thing? Just keep at it. You will get the muscle memory and brain aspects back over time. My first game in 11 years I managed to score, but keep in mind during those years off I skated between 0-5 times pond hockey depending on the year, and I was in a tier-before last D league. By my second year I was leading my team in scoring, and now 3 years into my return I'm skating in a B league keeping up. This forum is a highly valuable resource, I love getting opinions from people of all levels, it has helped me immensely

I recently got back on the ice after a 15 year break. I have only played three times so far, but I have noticed that my hockey endurance is where I need to improve the most. My skating ability and hands have gotten better each time out as my body remembers what it used to be able to do. I will try to incorporate some high intensity off ice workouts to my exercise routine and plan on getting on the ice twice a week. If I follow through with this I think I should be back to my old skill level before too long, the only difference will be the recovery time on a now 40 yo body.

Fitness, fitness oh and fitness......

Get in shape (can be way harder as you get older) and at least once you bust a gut back on D you wont be done for the game.. If you want to get back quickly I would suggest between 5-10 hours of decent exercise a week such as power skating cycling, sadly there are no short cuts with this. Build the cardio back up and If you gain that then the hands and brain will work a ton better when you put stress on them..

Fitness, fitness oh and fitness......

Get in shape (can be way harder as you get older) and at least once you bust a gut back on D you wont be done for the game.. If you want to get back quickly I would suggest between 5-10 hours of decent exercise a week such as power skating cycling, sadly there are no short cuts with this. Build the cardio back up and If you gain that then the hands and brain will work a ton better when you put stress on them..

This a 100 times ^^^^

What was it Herb Brooks said? "The legs feed the wolf".

If you don't have fitness, you don't get to the puck, you don't get into position, you don't get get back to defend, etc, etc, etc... You can have the greatest wrist shot in the world, or the greatest hands this side of Lemieux, but if you can't get from point A to point B, it's all mute.

Worry about your fitness first, and the other things will gradually come back over time.

I got back on the ice after a 25 year lay off. the first few times at public skate I was junk in 10 minutes and my knees were killing me but I kept going back. that was in May of 2014 I now have 25 games under my belt. In the past month I lost 12 pounds ( 15 more to go) . with the weight loss and adding more ice time my spped and endurance is way better. keep skating and watch your diet and try sheding some pounds if you need to and you will see improvements.

I got back on the ice after a 25 year lay off. the first few times at public skate I was junk in 10 minutes and my knees were killing me but I kept going back. that was in May of 2014 I now have 25 games under my belt. In the past month I lost 12 pounds ( 15 more to go) . with the weight loss and adding more ice time my spped and endurance is way better. keep skating and watch your diet and try sheding some pounds if you need to and you will see improvements.

What people neglect when they return is diet and being fueled for the session, as they start to lose weight (quite easy early on) they tend to get complacent and eat poo as they believe they can..

As you get fitter the diet you use is the most important thing as you need to maintain energy levels whilst losing weight and getting your body to repair itself. Start checking "fat" content in your foods and try to limit what your intact is believe me you will be shocked when you start counting Fat in your foods.. Good amounts of sugers and carbs is the way to go..

I spent some time with a ultra marathon cyclist and during training camp to fuel his efforts I only ever witnessed him eating really ripe bananas almost all black skin and flat coke, oh and he is a Vegan!!! but jesus he is a machine.

Bottom line after you get your fitness sorted work hard on diet and yes having that Cheat KFC is going to affect you...

A little fat is OK--nothing wrong with a glass of chocolate milk, but a cheeseburger is probably not the best idea.

Complex carbs several hours before you play, simple easy to digest carbs 1.5-1 hour before you play. Sports drinks and water while you're playing. Sweets to replace glycogen stores after playing.

Also look at lean protein intake on your off days to build/repair your muscles.

With my job, I have been forced to take weeks and even months off between games on a fairly regular basis. The biggest thing for me is to just keep it as simple as possible and stay within whatever my abilities are on any given night. There are nights when my awareness just isn't there for some reason, so I keep the breakouts simple. Other nights, I pull off rink wide passes that go behind a guy, bounce off the boards and hit him on the tape. Some nights, slappers just aren't happening, the timing isn't there. Those nights, it's all about the wrist shot. As you come back from a longer layoff, you can' expect it all to come back right away. Focus on a couple skills at a time and get them to an acceptable level and then work on a few more. Trying to bring everything back at once will just delay it all.

As you come back from a longer layoff, you can' expect it all to come back right away. Focus on a couple skills at a time and get them to an acceptable level and then work on a few more. Trying to bring everything back at once will just delay it all.

I have a big problem with this. I guess it's impatience and frustration with how easily my game and fitness level declines when I don't play regularly. What hurts my ego the most is to see guys below you skill-wise surpass you just because they had the time (and to their credit, the dedication) to play/practice regularly.

I have a big problem with this. I guess it's impatience and frustration with how easily my game and fitness level declines when I don't play regularly. What hurts my ego the most is to see guys below you skill-wise surpass you just because they had the time (and to their credit, the dedication) to play/practice regularly.

way too many guys in beer leagues get angry about that too.

way too many guys in beer leagues get angry about that too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much mad at them as I am frustrated with myself. Unless that's what you meant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much mad at them as I am frustrated with myself. Unless that's what you meant.

I wasn't accusing you, just talking about the meatheads that can't accept that someone has put in more work than they have. I get frustrated with myself too, but I accept that other things in my life have a higher priority at the moment.

Wils5150's layoff is the first one I've encountered that's as long as or longer than mine (1990 - 2014). First few times back on the ice last April were brutal and I wasn't expecting my hands to have deteriorated even more than my skating. After six months of stick time, I started playing in a 50+ league. I've stayed in shape all my life but last played at 198 and with a lot more lower body muscle than I have now at 180 because I used to live in the gym. The fact that I still prioritize my workouts doesn't help either, because I end up playing the day after training lower body and even the same night once or twice. My problem's always been maintaining weight and after 2 stick times a week, I went from 182 to 172 and had to change my diet to incorporate stuff I haven't eaten in 30+ years (whole eggs, peanut butter, etc.) just to stop losing weight and get back to 180 at 5-10. I gotta admit that's been pretty cool after eating almost zero fat (maybe 25 grams/day) for just about my entire adult life.

Skating and shooting are now pretty much what they were except I have NO speed whatsoever and have a very hard time beating anybody to the puck or pulling away from anybody with it, even in my 50+ league. I haven't been carrying the puck much either because my reaction time has slowed so much from age 28 to 53 that everything happens too fast for me to do much besides get off one good pass through the neutral zone as soon as I get the puck and then get into position for a return pass or dig the puck out of a corner and hit somebody in the slot with a pass. With about 15 games under my belt, including a couple as a replacement in the unrestricted age division, practice skills are coming back a lot faster than my effectiveness in games, but that seems to be getting better too, just more slowly. The weirdest part is that I went almost 25 years without even thinking about skating but now I'm back to getting itchy anytime I can't skate 2 or 3 times a week...like right now, regretting not getting to bed early enough last night to skate this morning with this snow storm shutting everything down for the next few days (including my next game tomorrow night).

Oh yeah, one more thing: I told my wife that my first conversation with anybody was going to be about my skates and explained to her why. Sure enough, the first thing anybody said to me in the dressing room was Q: "Hey, how old are those skates?" A: "Almost old enough to play in this league by themselves." And the first thing anybody on another team said to me during post-game handshakes besides "Good game" was "Holy s__t...Langes!"

Wils5150's layoff is the first one I've encountered that's as long as or longer than mine (1990 - 2014). First few times back on the ice last April were brutal and I wasn't expecting my hands to have deteriorated even more than my skating. After six months of stick time, I started playing in a 50+ league. I've stayed in shape all my life but last played at 198 and with a lot more lower body muscle than I have now at 180 because I used to live in the gym. The fact that I still prioritize my workouts doesn't help either, because I end up playing the day after training lower body and even the same night once or twice. My problem's always been maintaining weight and after 2 stick times a week, I went from 182 to 172 and had to change my diet to incorporate stuff I haven't eaten in 30+ years (whole eggs, peanut butter, etc.) just to stop losing weight and get back to 180 at 5-10. I gotta admit that's been pretty cool after eating almost zero fat (maybe 25 grams/day) for just about my entire adult life.

Skating and shooting are now pretty much what they were except I have NO speed whatsoever and have a very hard time beating anybody to the puck or pulling away from anybody with it, even in my 50+ league. I haven't been carrying the puck much either because my reaction time has slowed so much from age 28 to 53 that everything happens too fast for me to do much besides get off one good pass through the neutral zone as soon as I get the puck and then get into position for a return pass or dig the puck out of a corner and hit somebody in the slot with a pass. With about 15 games under my belt, including a couple as a replacement in the unrestricted age division, practice skills are coming back a lot faster than my effectiveness in games, but that seems to be getting better too, just more slowly. The weirdest part is that I went almost 25 years without even thinking about skating but now I'm back to getting itchy anytime I can't skate 2 or 3 times a week...like right now, regretting not getting to bed early enough last night to skate this morning with this snow storm shutting everything down for the next few days (including my next game tomorrow night).

Oh yeah, one more thing: I told my wife that my first conversation with anybody was going to be about my skates and explained to her why. Sure enough, the first thing anybody said to me in the dressing room was Q: "Hey, how old are those skates?" A: "Almost old enough to play in this league by themselves." And the first thing anybody on another team said to me during post-game handshakes besides "Good game" was "Holy s__t...Langes!"

Ha Ha my skates were Micron Quadra Flex . although I did by new ones before my come back.

For some reason, I've never managed to quote anybody successfully (only) on this particular forum. I hit the Quote button and nothing ever happens. Tried highlighting text first and then hitting Quote too, but same nothing happens. Is there a setting or something I need to change in Windows 7 to use the Quote function here?

I did buy a pair of NXGs but I resold them after trying them out and comparing them to my old tanks. I appreciate the reduced weight but skated much worse in them and, as you know, you still can't beat anything with a soft inner liner for comfort...even 40 years later.

For some reason, I've never managed to quote anybody successfully (only) on this particular forum. I hit the Quote button and nothing ever happens. Tried highlighting text first and then hitting Quote too, but same nothing happens. Is there a setting or something I need to change in Windows 7 to use the Quote function here?

It should pop up in the reply box at the bottom of the topic when you hit quote. I'll check and see if there is anything on it in the knowledge base.

Thanks, Chad. I know what to do but whenever I hit Quote, it just sends my cursor to my message field and nothing I'm trying to quote shows in the field where it's supposed to.

Thanks, Chad. I know what to do but whenever I hit Quote, it just sends my cursor to my message field and nothing I'm trying to quote shows in the field where it's supposed to.

This is what appears to the replybox lower side of the screen when I hit the reply button.

dq65vm.jpg

I'm pretty inspired by this thread. I am in my mid 30's and have always skated recreationally and played ball and street hockey, but never ice hockey. With my 4 year old on skates and improving each year, it has me on the ice a lot more and basically skating 3 times a week to work on my technique.

I would love to get good enough to join a beginner league and have some fun! I just don't want to look like a fool out there lol.

There's a guy in my C league who played ball and street hockey his whole life. he has incredible hands.

He can't skate very well, but his positional play is very good.

I only started 1.5yrs ago. I have worked my ass off on skating and I can outskate him all the time, but can never outshoot or beat him in a grind.

Get out there, Campoli.

There's a guy in my C league who played ball and street hockey his whole life. he has incredible hands.

He can't skate very well, but his positional play is very good.

I only started 1.5yrs ago. I have worked my ass off on skating and I can outskate him all the time, but can never outshoot or beat him in a grind.

Get out there, Campoli.

I had a guy ask me if I play street hockey. I asked him why he said because you have great hands. must be something to it

I wasn't accusing you, just talking about the meatheads that can't accept that someone has put in more work than they have. I get frustrated with myself too, but I accept that other things in my life have a higher priority at the moment.

I think this is a really important perspective to have. As a recreational athlete, this is the biggest challenge period: you play recreationally. That means you have to make time to practice, work on your fitness level, and sometimes even to make your games. Your significant other, kids, house, job, etc. often take time away from these things (as they should) and sometimes even when you're able to make it, you just don't have it. I like to compete and I like to win, but sometimes your compete level, performance, and abilty to win suffer at the expense of winning in life. I'm OK with that.

Another thing is that a lot of us tend to compare who we are now to who we used to be. With a few exceptions, a majority of us would probably be setting ourselves up for failure by thinking this way. Accept who you are now, and if there's things you want to change, focus on what you want to become. But most of all, be realistic with your expectations and what you want to accomplish.

ive just gone through a similar situation. i haven't played ice in 17 years but played inline pretty hardcore, then for the past 4 years I really haven't played at all. I just got back on the ice (and sport court) 2 weeks ago. there IS a pretty noticeable difference in skating on both surfaces and I found myself losing my legs after a few shifts on ice. I decided to start doing lower body plyometrics and interval training and in 2 weeks I'm seeing massive endurance and stamina improvements.

I found this website with an absolutely amazing workout routine. It SUCKS and leave you feeling stupid sore and useless afterwards, but it WORKS.

http://www.hockeyshot.com/articles.asp?id=172

Appreciate all of the comments and recommendations guys! It's been getting better, still dragging tail the rest of the day after morning games but at least I'm not feeling it as much at work on Monday.