Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IokuaKeoni

New Skate Help!

Hey guys, I'm finally breaking down and have to replace my Mission Proto VSI with a Hi Lo set up. I'm looking at getting either the CCM Tacks 5r52, the Bauer X70, or the Mission Inhaler AC3. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards trying the Tacks but it has the straight 80mm chassis, and I'm not sure if I would adjust after using Hi Lo's for so long.

Thanks

Since you are coming from a VSI, you really should check our the Alkali skates. The VSI was created by myself and my team during my Mission days. Check out some of the other reviews, and I think you would be happy with the skates. If you have any specific questions, you can always e-mail me directly at justin@alkalihockey.com

I would also look at the Alkali, although I do not currently skate on them, I regret my decision to not get them. Another guy on my team just picked up a pair of the Max on sale and after just the first skate he said it was the most comfortable skate he has ever worn.

Does anyone know where I can purchase just a inline goalie skate cowlings and chassis to replace on my current pair of skates? Seems like no company out there sells that for inline?

I purchased shift+ and 5r52 at the same time to try both on. I returned the ccms because the front wheel sticks out to far past the toe to really get the forward lean. I experienced the same problem with reebok 9ks, felt like I was on my heels all the time and really hurt my first few strides. Coming from x70's their was a little adjustment to the straight 80's but I am really loving the shift+'s now. Bauer's really haven't impressed me with their quality, I had outsole problems with both my rx60's and x70's.

If you're looking for a stiff boot, go with bauer. I wear the bauer XR premier and love it. I block shots all day long and these boots take it in stride. This is after playing in a graf boot and taking a shot off the foot that resulted in a shattered metatarsal bone. Couldn't walk for 5 months....so maybe I'm a little biased towards a stiff, protective boot.

Mission boot is stiff too, then alkali. At least, that's my opinion.

I work in a shop and have had the luxury of trying on a lot of different pairs of skates. Obviously it is important for u to try on anything first just because everyone's fit is different. For me personally I felt like the out of box fit on the tacks was horrible. Construction wise it is top notch but just couldn't get past the weird fit. Vapors were a nice fit out of the box although a little to narrow for my wide foot. I am a hi lo fan like you so that is something to consider. As for the missions they also had a great fit out of the box similar chasis line up you would be looking for although I have to say the actual boot construction comes off as a little cheaply made in my opinion.

As for alkali I have heard nothing but amazing things about the skates since they burst on the scene. Unfortunately my particular shop does not carry them so I cannot a test to the fit but this is definitely the best skate on the market for roller hockey. I myself wish I had a pair.